Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sprinting + Strength training in the same day page

Lex26 is offline Senior Member

Sprinting + Strength training in the same day

Primal Fuel
    I've plateaued for the last two weeks, so I'm a little antsy about doing everything I can to burn fat. I did strength training yesterday, played tennis today, and will be sprinting tomorrow before dinner. But I kinda wanna add strength training in for tomorrow morning too - I'd like to do it every other day because I'd like to improve strength and see some motivational changes in my body composition sooner than later. But am I asking for trouble by putting both of those in the same day? They'll happen hours apart from each other.
    Starting weight: 225
    Current weight: 195
    Goal: One pull-up by December 31, 2012
    Method: Schwarzbein Principle II, program for insulin sensitive/burned-out adrenals
    My Primal Journey

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like too much, but everybody has different tolerances. If you rest for a few days to rebuild, it might work out in the long haul.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

mike_h is offline Senior Member
    Personally I don't think it's a problem, provided your rest is adequate. So if you sprint and do strength together, the next day should perhaps be fully rested (except walking) and the one after pretty restful too.

If I were doing both on the same day, I'd do them one after the other, rather than hours apart. And I'd do whichever were the priority first.

Forever Young is offline Senior Member
    I would never do both on the same day. The sprints alone are incredibly demanding and done properly will require you to be fully energized and well rested. It sounds as though you are trying to cram all kinds of exercise into a small time frame. How long do you think you will be able to sustain such a schedule before you start feeling fatigue and motivation wanes? A much better plan is to spread things out getting plenty of recovery time between intense workouts. Make sure your diet is clean. Results will will be continuous and you'll feel much better on a daily basis. Isn't that what really matters?

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    You seem to think the key to budging more fat is to do more.

Rest more, eat a little less. Watch the fat in particular, assuming you've been doing the primal diet at least 2 months somewhat strictly.

Lift 2x/week, sprint 1x/week (not on same days) and eat mostly meat+veg with starches/carbs reserved strictly to lifting days... give that a go for two weeks to a month and see how you do.

There are plenty people that work out twice, even three times per day and only have one day of full rest but these people are getting paid for it.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lex26 View Post
    I've plateaued for the last two weeks, so I'm a little antsy about doing everything I can to burn fat. I did strength training yesterday, played tennis today, and will be sprinting tomorrow before dinner. But I kinda wanna add strength training in for tomorrow morning too - I'd like to do it every other day because I'd like to improve strength and see some motivational changes in my body composition sooner than later. But am I asking for trouble by putting both of those in the same day? They'll happen hours apart from each other.
    The fact that you are considering doing this means you are likely not doing at least one of them right.

This will slow your fat loss, not speed it.

Lex26 is offline Senior Member
    Well, I've never doubled it up before so I don't know how hard it is yet. Generally I notice that even if I'm squeezing everything I can out of two sets of strength training, I feel good a few hours later - the soreness only settles in the next day or the one after that. But I'll hold off and focus on rest and I think I'll at least temporarily do some calorie counting just to put things in perspective. Ugh - please don't let me be one of those people who can't lose weight even when I'm exercising and eating right. I really hope some tweaking this month works.
    Starting weight: 225
    Current weight: 195
    Goal: One pull-up by December 31, 2012
    Method: Schwarzbein Principle II, program for insulin sensitive/burned-out adrenals
    My Primal Journey

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

mmapags is offline Member
    After a heavy day of LHT or Sprinting, I'm wiped out. And I'm low energy the next day if I go too hard on the strength training. Now, I am 60 and I bounced back better at 30 or 40 but to do both in the same day jsut seems like over the top unless you can spend the next day resting completely. If you are really going all out at sprinting and all out at strength training, I don't see how you can do them on the same day.

The set up I like is LHT, moving slowly, sprinting, moving slowly, LHT, rest. Sprinting, moving slowly, LHT, moving slowly, sprinting, rest. This is over a 2 week time frame. I'll listen to my body and take a rest day anywhere in there if I'm burninig out. I usually work in 2 rest day per week. Just a thought.

jel
    jel is offline Junior Member
    Timely post by That Paleo Guy today. Basically, it is not only our muscles that need to recover after sprinting or HIIT workouts.

Are your sprint intervals a pain in the ANS? | THAT PALEO GUY

Forever Young is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jel View Post
    Timely post by That Paleo Guy today. Basically, it is not only our muscles that need to recover after sprinting or HIIT workouts.

Are your sprint intervals a pain in the ANS? | THAT PALEO GUY
    No and this is something that so few seem to understand. Its not just the muscles worked that need to recover. An intense workout stresses every cell of the body. It stresses all of the bodies organs. The central nervous system etc. It takes time and energy to not only repair itself, but more time yet to adpapt i.e. grow stronger. This is how a properly designed program literally slows and in some ways reverses the aging process. A lot of what we associate with "aging" is really the outward symptoms of inactivity. Years spent never stressing the physiology in any significant way can only lead to degeneration. From the cellular level, all the organs, tissues, muscles etc., start to atrophy (shrink and weaken) because they have no reason to stay strong and vital. It literally is like saying to your body that it's ok to start dying, aging. You are giving no reason to do otherwise.

This is why a good program that employs regular but brief training intense enough to stimulate the body on a deep cellular level, then allowed to rest and adapt is the best way to stay young by far! In contrast, a program that is all about exercising with little regard to full recovery, can be as bad or worse than even doing nothing. Such a program causes great wear and tear on not only the muscles and joints, but even more importantly on the system as a whole and can literally wear one out on that deep cellular level and greatly accelerate the aging process. It's all about getting the least amount required and allowing recovery and growth. Done on a regular basis there is no better way to be at your absolute best for the longest time possible.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast