Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sprinting + Strength training in the same day page 2

mmapags is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Great link!

Lex26 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jel View Post
    Timely post by That Paleo Guy today. Basically, it is not only our muscles that need to recover after sprinting or HIIT workouts.

Are your sprint intervals a pain in the ANS? | THAT PALEO GUY
    Timely indeed - thanks for the link. I guess my initial line of thinking was, would it be so bad if I did both in one day and then I could recover from both at the same time in the next day or two? But I'm definitely a "newb" on the exercise scene and should take it easy. Ah - when you're fat you just get used to so many people looking down on you for not doing enough or being lazy. And I want that to be anything but true! In the months that I've changed my diet and exercise habits, though, it's been easier to not let that get to me. I see friends and family who eat TONS of sugar and sit on their ass most of the day stay thin, while I do what I do and hardly lose weight (well, at least for the last two or three weeks). Our bodies obviously work much differently and it isn't because I'm lazy.

That said, I never want to give up on trying to do things better and more efficiently. So here's another sprinting problem: Some people have pointed out on this thread and others that if I'm even considering doing strength and sprinting in the same day, I'm doing one wrong. When it comes to sprinting, I don't know what else I could be doing right now - I run as hard as I possibly can for as long as I can. When I feel the speed tapering off after 10-15 seconds I stop. Sometimes I use a certain point up ahead like a light pole as inspiration to go as far as I can. At the end of the sprint, should I be sprinting so hard that at the end I'm hardly even breathing? Last night, right as I would come to the point that I thought I needed to slow down, I would press myself to squeeze out 5 more seconds or so, but that literally involved not breathing for those 5 seconds. During my typical sprint, I'm breathing hard and fast, but I'm still breathing. Sooo, what's sprinting too hard? How do I know I've truly done all I can?
    Last edited by Lex26; 02-07-2012 at 11:42 AM.
    Starting weight: 225
    Current weight: 195
    Goal: One pull-up by December 31, 2012
    Method: Schwarzbein Principle II, program for insulin sensitive/burned-out adrenals
    My Primal Journey

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Two other things I loved about that article:

1) The light bulb that the sympathetic nervous system turns off your digestive system basically. When I had changed my diet alone, I didn't really have any big digestive issues. But when I started exercising regularly at the beginning of January and would eat right after the workout, it seemed like it would take forever for my body to digest the meal. I decided on my own that doing something relaxing like stretching out on an exercise ball before I ate might help and it has. Now I know why - maybe it takes a while for my body to transition from the sympathetic to the parasympathetic.

2) And this "What do we see after the sympathetic nervous system of the ANS has been fatigued? Some markers can include reduced heart rate variability (HRV), cardiovagal baroreflex sensitivity (BRS) (how efficiently the baroreflex is able to change heart rate in response to alterations in systolic blood pressure), and blood pressure variability (BPV). If all of these functions are suppressed, what you might see is a heart rate that cannot respond as quickly to changes as it should, and you might experience changes in blood pressure moving from a sitting/lying position to standing up. Effectively, in a similar way to tired muscles not wanting to “fire”, the ANS doesn’t want to fire up cardiovascular responses to movement… it wants you to sit your ass down, Sunshine."

That's definitely what I did last night after my sprint!
    Method: Schwarzbein Principle II, program for insulin sensitive/burned-out adrenals
    My Primal Journey

astronmr20 is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like you are doing your sprints just fine.

Going through a period of no fat loss does not necessarily mean you have plateaued. No need to "fight back" with doing "more." Your fat loss will not be at the same rate throughout your journey.

Rest, stick to primal eating above all, and sprint HARD on sprint day.

Always remember that Primal eating is 80-90% of the picture- you will not make up more than that 10-20% by working out more. Get used to doing less time than those around you in the gym- just stay in your zone and forget what you think other people may judge! This formula works.
    Last edited by astronmr20; 02-07-2012 at 02:36 PM.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Well the strength training folks say that IF you are are going to strength train and condition, it's better for recovery to do them on the same day rather than consecutive days. Ie, what people are saying here, recovery is key. But if your main goal is fat loss, then the strength stuff is not your main goal and you are better off taking a nice walk, sleeping a ton, and cutting back on your fat consumption as iniquity sez.

BTW actual fat loss can happen in a relatively linear way, but the way your body holds on to water can make the scale measurement seem odd. I'm losing about two pounds per week right now (on a "cut" before hitting the weights hard again) - on Sunday I weighed exactly 200 at the end of my workout. For two days I slept great, ate perfect, minimal booze, this morning I had to two big dumps (sorry but it's relevant), worked out again - weight 201. I didn't gain a pound of fat in two days, obviously. It's about how much water your body decides to carry at any given time. I'll weigh again next week, maybe after racquetball if I want an optimistic number. It's all a mental game really.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Eh, well this is a three-week plateau with no progress and I'm very strict with my diet. It's just meat and vegetables cooked in good fats. Fat-wise, I snacked on a handful of pork rinds and small bowls of coconut milk from time to time. My vegetables are usually cooked in about a tablespoon of fat ... I don't think I'm overeating, so where do you draw the line on fat consumption?
    My Primal Journey

federkeil is offline Senior Member
    I LHT and play Ultimate on the same day now, and I'm recovering better than I was with them on different days. I also do it as an end to my lifting week so I have 2 full days to recover before going back to the gym.
    I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

Blah is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by federkeil View Post
    I LHT and play Ultimate on the same day now, and I'm recovering better than I was with them on different days. I also do it as an end to my lifting week so I have 2 full days to recover before going back to the gym.
    Ultimate as well, how much sport do you play?
    www.back-to-primal.blogspot.com or on Facebook here

My training journal if anyone is interested

Be strong to be useful

federkeil is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blah View Post
    Ultimate as well, how much sport do you play?
    Winter is 3 days of Starting Strength, 1 day of Indoor Ultimate, 1 day of Rec Volley Ball and we were doing 1 day of Parkour classes. I've been trying to do a few short runs during the week for prep for the Tough Mudder at the end of the Month. I go snowboarding every couple weeks as well.

Summer gets busy, lifting, Flag Football, Ultimate, and Soccer.

My only limiting factor is my knees, they aren't very resilient due to injuries occurred from playing football.
    I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

Well, when I feel like my fat-burning and strength-building - just overall health - is on a roll, maybe I will be able to up the ante by weight training three times a week instead of two. I think the consensus is that someone in my place should not get excited about overdoing exercise as a way to break past a plateau. Instead I think I'll do a sort of leptin reset thing where I eat a big, solid breakfast - one that could make lunch easily missable - then a small dinner at least four hours away from sleepy time with zero snacks throughout the day. The guy advocating that regimen, Dr. Jack Kruse, says you shouldn't even exercise during the "reset," but I'm going to keep strength training twice a week in the evening while doing frequent walks and hikes. I'm hoping it works.
    My Primal Journey

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast