Thread: Have to squeal happily about a tiny little triumph page

olehcat is offline Senior Member

Have to squeal happily about a tiny little triumph

Primal Fuel
    I'm new to Paleo/Primal. As in, just really started a few days ago. Already I have zero urge for bread and other refined sugars and carbs.

I know that one of my biggest weaknesses when it comes to changing my eating way of life is social gatherings. Not just because I feel pressured to eat what others are eating, but because *I* want to treat myself/indulge in these circumstances. I want to gorge myself on chips and cookies and all the foods that I normally do not allow in my house (they always taste better at someone else's house anyway, lol)

So this evening I was at a Superbowl gathering with all the snacks, etc. There were chips and cookies and other bad-for-you stuff.

I had veggies with dip (yes, probably not the best choice, but there was no salsa), some fresh berries, and a slice of cheese. That's it! (I did have a glass of red wine, too, but just one, not three as would be my usual at an event like this). So to understand this triumph, last year at a similar party, I gorged myself on chips and dip, cookies, and mountains of carbs.

And to further understand how significant this is, I have never gone to a social gathering and not given in and started stuffing my face with all the bad stuff until I feel sick. This was a first. I consider this a very good sign.

Honestly, I think the hardest thing to give up/cut back on is going to be red wine. I love it so much, not just the taste, but the ritual of it in my life. Does anyone drink red wine regularly on Paleo/Primal and do okay?

something4me is offline Member
    You did great. Keep up the good work!

Dirlot is online now Senior Member
    First of all well done. Second stay diligent. Third welcome to a new healthier you!
    Red wine in moderation can be OK but a lot depends on your goals.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Dirlot and something4me: Thanks!!! And today I weigh less than I did yesterday, in contrast to how it would be if I had eaten like before!

dancermom09 is offline Member
    Olehcat, I am a wino and proud of it. We make a yearly trip to Napa for tastings (no, I'm not rich), and I like to think our wine choices are at least the healthier ones. I lost 35 pounds when I started eating low carb two years ago, while still having 1-2 glasses a day. I could stand to lose another 20, and it would probably help to give up the wine. Thought I would try cutting dairy first, and eating less!

It's my last vice, but at least it's not a bad one.

dancermom09 - thanks!! Wine is seriously the vice I find the most icky to give up. Seriously, I can do without french fries and cupcakes and sugar, but wine, it's like my last pleasure! It's such a pleasure to have a glass while cooking dinner after a stressful day at work! I know I would probably be more successful if I didn't have it, but to tell you the truth, I have given it up for long periods of time (like a month at a time) and I never noticed a movement in weight, all other things staying the same. I'm going to keep it for now. Will reduce it if I just can't lose weight

Classic is offline Senior Member
    I love red wine as well, but after being "primal" for a couple of years now I cannot drink as much as I once could without feeling awful so I only have 2 or 3 glasses a week on average. ( I really cannot tolerate hard liquor at all any longer) I have stopped dairy, the few sweetened things I ate occasionally and wine for a 21 day challenge and lost 4 pounds the first week after not losing for over a year. After next week I will add in a little wine to see how that goes, then a piece of cheese once in awhile. The occasional piece of chocolate or yogurt sweetened with a bit of maple syrup can wait.