Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Impressed with new "Evolutionary" dog food page

activia is offline Senior Member

Impressed with new "Evolutionary" dog food

Shop Now
    So it looks like blue buffalo (big market brand!) started selling (alright I dont know when this came out) Blue Wilderness grain free/corn free/soy free. Evolutionary diet. It also talked about the O3/O6 fats! I was like holy CRAP this is the first time I've seen a mass martketed product based on the Paleo diet! I know its for dogs but still I was impressed. It also contained whole ingredients such as blueberries, instead of just a load full of supplements.

If people think this is good for their pets.. them hmmm??? not much to go to for themselves right? Well I'll be switching my dog over to this as I'm not quite ready to get into making her food. Not that processed food is a good thing overall, but wouldnt it be nice for there to be pre-packaged salad dressing, b-que sauce, and mayo at least?
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Ayla is offline Senior Member
    My little 10 lb. maltese loves Blue Buffalo Wilderness! I think it's been out for at least 6 months, maybe a little longer. It's good, quality food for our wolf companions.
    28, female, 5'2"
    Went primal 7/28/10: 154 lbs.
    1/12/12: 135 lbs.
    Goal: 120 lbs.

activia is offline Senior Member
    Right now she is getting Royal Canine German Shepherd formula (so its not a low quality food).. but what you pointed out is very interesting.I do understand that a slow transition is necessary. I supplement her food with lots of veggie scraps (she eats everything! LOVES carrots, enjoys broccoli, cauliflower, havent found a veggie yet she won't eat) and bones or unchewable pieces of meat that we run into on occasion..

that blue wilderness formula is very close to what you are feeding your dogs.. Salmon, Sweet potatoes, some chicken, veggies/fruit.
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

katscratch is offline Member
    I've used Nature's Variety grain free foods for my cats and dogs, LOVE them! I usually rotate between the frozen raw and freeze-dried kibble depending on my schedule and budget, heh.

Nature's Variety

--edited to add: my dog had horrible skin allergies when I got him, to the point that he had literally chewed the skin off his tail and had a huge larea of exposed tissue that wouldn't heal, was shortly after tested hypothyroid, and between grain-free food and regular bathing his allergies are resolved and his thyroid is functioning normally. He's also a breed that genetically has horrible dental health and has only needed his teeth cleaned every few years instead of 6-12 months, with no extractions. Go Primal
    Last edited by katscratch; 02-06-2012 at 06:16 AM.
    In 2012 I will find JOY, feel ALIVE, be CONSCIOUSLY CONNECTED to my World and my People, and become HEALTHY!

Shijin13 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by activia View Post
    Right now she is getting Royal Canine German Shepherd formula (so its not a low quality food).. but what you pointed out is very interesting.I do understand that a slow transition is necessary. I supplement her food with lots of veggie scraps (she eats everything! LOVES carrots, enjoys broccoli, cauliflower, havent found a veggie yet she won't eat) and bones or unchewable pieces of meat that we run into on occasion..

that blue wilderness formula is very close to what you are feeding your dogs.. Salmon, Sweet potatoes, some chicken, veggies/fruit.
    When we got our Lab this past fall - the breeder was using royal canine Labrador retriever, we bought that, when we ran out - its goes for about $60/bag and would last us 1 month... so I started researching - and decided to go w/evo - its $65/bag and last us 2months... Miller got 2 cups/meal with the royal canine ~ 600cal/meal. with the Evo - he gets 1&1/4cup ~598cals/meal. he's got more energy (who would have thought that considering he's only 18mths), his coat is great, he loves it. I was the best move for us both for his health and cost. I looked at EVO, taste of the wilde and blue buffalo wilderness.... EVO worked out to be the best cost for us... We transitioned Miller to it over a week &1/2....
    The most depraved type of human being is the man without a purpose. ~ Ayn Rand
    What's your purpose? Mine is Optimal Health.

Converted to PB November 2010
    SW 190lb
    Leptin Reset Redux (1Sep 2011) SW 170lbs
    25 Sep 2011 160lbs
    1 Dec 2011 158lbs!
    GW ~135lbs
    5'3"
    Mother of 2, and wife to a kick ass husband...trying to contain chaos and havoc on a daily basis

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread40609.html

BrassyDel is offline Member
    We tried Blue Buffalo for my What-the-Mutt a couple years ago, slow tranisition, after three weeks he still had constant diarrhea. Ruled out infection with the vet, switched to Royal Canine, problem solved. Tried some other natural/premium options, none worked for him. Eventually down-graded to Iams for budget cuts, but he tolerates it well (digestively), but I still feel guilty. I don't know why the corn-free, soy-free, etc, foods didn't work, I can't afford raw feeding for two 70 lb dogs, but there's still junk in their food! They're hungry all the time it seems (fed twice daily), and sometimes chew their skin (but not as bad as a lick granuloma or something - they don't chew themselves raw!), which I would bet are both signs they need a better food.

chelle06 is offline Member
    Ours eat Evo grain free. They all love it and the fat one is slimming down! I am in the process of switching the cats over to EVO

ShannonCC is offline Senior Member
    We did wilderness for awhile too. Yeah, it's pretty cool they have it out there! I eventually switched to feeding him raw though, which works even better for my boy (he's got some sensitivity issues).

I've noticed on the raw feeding list I'm on people talk about how you should buy pastured meat for your dogs if you can, though it's understood that not everyone can and even food lot meat is better than giving your dog grains. I've wanted to ask if everyone eats well themselves or if they're putting all this effort into their dogs and then eating McDonalds, lol!

tcb
    tcb is offline Senior Member
    I recently switched my pups to orajens... Its a lot easier to find organic, grass fed, grain free, food for my dogs than it is for me... It's a shame, really, that people are more concerned about their dogs eating "biologically appropriate" food than they are with eating it themselves.

gottaluvalab is offline Senior Member
    I have two competition retrievers. They are both very athletic, and unless I really, truly overfeed them AND don't exercise them for a prolonged period, they stay trim and athletic most of the year, even when we're not in full-training mode.

IF I had unlimited time, I'd try to learn to feed raw, but only with a new dog from the start.
    IF I had unlimited money, I'd try feeding BARF/the frozen stuff, but probably only with a new dog from the start. It's kind of gross, and completely not cheap, and takes a ton of freezer space, but the dogs I've seen it fed to have small stools, wonderful coat, love it, and don't seem to need to eat much of it.

Given that I have neither, I've taken a rather lax approach that seems nonetheless to work. I justify it with the "they aren't obligate carnivores"; I add to that the argument that "dogs have lived off human scraps for 15,000 years, they're probably pretty well adapted to anything"; I throw in the observation that given the choice they'll eat anything rotten, anything vomited, or anything pooped out by a cat as if they were starving for whatever it is; to this, I add the untraceable internet reading I read long, long ago that cited studies that indicate that feeding table scraps seems to be about the only thing ever proven to lessen the chances of bloat (a concern in retrievers); then I tell myself that although retrievers are susceptible to cancer, their life spans just don't seem long enough for diet to be a huge contributing factor, like it is suspected in some cancers in humans, who live 6 or 8 or more times as long.

My dogs both both ate Iams when they were younger, now Purina in the green bag (if price weren't an issue at the moment, I'd do Purina Pro Plan with the chunks, the pricier performance one). When I crack two eggs, they each get a shell. When I bake chicken, they split the raw neck and innards. When I make soup, they get some chicken back or neck raw. If I'm snitching a bit of raw ground hamburger, they get to snitch more than I do. When I boil frozen vegetables (almost daily), they each get a frozen chunk, which they seem to think is a real treat. When I have too much old yogurt, or sour cream, they each get a gob. If I'm eating cheese, they each get a nibble. They lick out the drippings in the roasting pan and the bottom 1/2 inch of stews from the Dutch oven (I know, gross). If something in the refrigerator will be rotten tomorrow and I'm not going to eat it, they'll probably get a taste of it today before I throw most of it out.

Overall, I seem to have replicated the human garbage heaps canine anthropologists think dogs evolved in, and my dogs are fine, without a whole lot of fuss and muss. I consider it Primal Enough for Dogs.

They do look strong and healthy--If I were my dogs, I'd look like Serena Williams (only more Teutonic looking!). If only feeding myself for optimal health were so easy...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast