Thread: Adrenal Fatigue and fasting page

ErinF is offline Senior Member

Adrenal Fatigue and fasting

Shop Now
    I'm slightly confused about adrenal fatigue. I'm pretty sure that's what I've been dealing with for a while. The main reason I've come to this conclusion, besides my lack of sleep due to the baby, is due to the fact that I've been doing the workouts found on bodyrock.tv AND simplefit.org religiously and I've bloated up and gained. The more I workout, the weaker I feel. Anyway, if I did have adrenal fatigue it would make sense to gain weight from the stress of working out, but it doesn't make sense for me to lose weight while IF. Wouldn't fasting put as much stress on your body as exercising? The only time I've steadily lost weight was during the few weeks I was IF every day from dinner to lunch. I stopped because I realized I was severely restricting my calories and was only eating about 900 calories per day which seemed really unhealthy.

I haven't taken the saliva test yet to see if I do have adrenal fatigue, at the point I'm at I'm 100% positive I do, but I don't know what stage I'm at. I'll be taking the test soon, but until then I'm wondering if I should start my IF back up and stop exercising.

Also, I should note I do know some of that gain was muscle, but a lot was water and possibly inflammation; which I lost a few days later.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    At 900 calories a day you are going to lose weight from the calorie deficit. You can bloat up from inflammation from overtraining or stress. Short fasting doesn't stress the body. If anything it takes a little stress off the body by giving it a break from all that digesting it has to do. The beauty of IF is that you can fast AND still eat all your daily calories and still see benefits.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 175 x 3. Current Deadlift: 225 x 3

I don't lose weight unless I restrict calories to that extreme. Everything I've tried has failed until I started to do IF. If I eat the recommended calories, fasting or not, I maintain the weight I'm at. I have to severely restrict to lose. I just feel stuck I guess. Doing the IF and eating within a 5-6 hour window has been the only thing that can keep me from snacking. If I don't IF I'll snack in between meals because I'm bored. I don't want to put more stress on my body and further damage my adrenals and thyroid.

missblue is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ErinF View Post
    I'm slightly confused about adrenal fatigue. I'm pretty sure that's what I've been dealing with for a while. The main reason I've come to this conclusion, besides my lack of sleep due to the baby, is due to the fact that I've been doing the workouts found on bodyrock.tv AND simplefit.org religiously and I've bloated up and gained. The more I workout, the weaker I feel. Anyway, if I did have adrenal fatigue it would make sense to gain weight from the stress of working out, but it doesn't make sense for me to lose weight while IF. Wouldn't fasting put as much stress on your body as exercising? The only time I've steadily lost weight was during the few weeks I was IF every day from dinner to lunch. I stopped because I realized I was severely restricting my calories and was only eating about 900 calories per day which seemed really unhealthy.

I haven't taken the saliva test yet to see if I do have adrenal fatigue, at the point I'm at I'm 100% positive I do, but I don't know what stage I'm at. I'll be taking the test soon, but until then I'm wondering if I should start my IF back up and stop exercising.
    I've been dealing with AF for years. I think it is difficult to "back off" exercise and fasting (at least when you feel bad or bloated) to let the body heal and recover, but you may need to do that. I started Crossfit about a year ago, and found that some days I just didn't have a workout in me. I needed rest instead. If you are triggering inflammation, you are compromising an already compromised system.

I still workout, still IF, but I'm very careful about it. I "check in" with how my energy is flowing and I've gradually really improved my ability to exercise and fast. I strongly suggest you take it slowly and be sure to get the sleep you need. That was critical to my recovery--I'd spent years sleep deprived and didn't even realize how badly this impacted my health. Also, great food and no alcohol accelerated my recovery. Good luck to you!

LolaLola is offline Member
    If you haven't read James Wilson's book on Adrenal Fatigue I would really recommend it. Adequate sleep is really important & you need rest to recover from AF. A course of acupuncture, ongoing supplements & a year of very little exercise have put me right.

BrassyDel is offline Member
    It sounds like something is still not right with your body, but I don't know enough to say adrenal fatigue or not. I did want to add that I have auto-immune problems and I get bloating and weight gain with inflammation. It's actually a huge way for me to tell which foods set off my immune system. Eczema, asthma, chest pain, low mood, blah blah blah. When my inflammation was higher, only calorie restriction worked for weight loss. Going to whole foods made it easier to lose weight, and going primal with removal of specific food triggers has made it even easier. I don't calorie count, I eat when I'm hungry, I IF when I'm not, and I lose about a pound a week with no formal exercise (it's, uh, on my To Do list...), and usually I'll stagnate for a couple weeks and then drop two or three pounds at once.

So my point is that your experience sounds similar to mine before I ferreted out some of my key food intolerances, so I would definitely keep searching for an answer and changing things up until you find it!

I've stopped exercising and am working on taking it easy right now. Honestly I wish I could improve my sleeping circumstances, but that's not something I have any control over. I have an 11 month old baby getting 6 teeth in right now, she's been waking up at least twice every night since she was 6 months old, despite everything I've done to correct that. My son did the same thing. I have at least 4 months of this madness before she'll sleep through the night. Really, untill all of her teeth come in I'll be dealing with this. I would ask my husband to help, but he leaves for work at 4:30 am so I can't rely on him without putting him under stress. I have a feeling everything will go right back to normal once I'm able to really sleep through the night with zero interruptions.

I'm still figuring out my food intolerances. Ha, some days I almost wish I could go back to when I didn't know anything was wrong with me. I can't handle not knowing why my body is feeling run down so this is driving me crazy because I can't just fix it in a matter of a few weeks. And I have a surgery coming up and I want to make sure I don't off and die from all the stress lmao.

/cry at no alcohol. I do love my wine. I'm already mourning having to give up my dark chocolate.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    When I first started trying to lose weight I was exercising a lot and pretty much couldn't ease up on it for fear of blowing up like a whale. Exercise made me swell up with edema and inflammation and made my stomach huge. It still does a little bit.

Eventually I just had to quit so much exercise. I was doing the LCHF Swedish diet doctor plan. Fortunately I was able to lose a little weight and never gain any even without calorie counting or tons of exercise.

I do use bulletproof fasting right now because I got to a plateau and I have started strength training because it sounded appealing. I'm losing weight again. Still no calorie counting, still most days I don't break a sweat at all. I do not eat ladylike at all. I eat like a man.

I've read lots of women who say they had to increase calories so that they could increase their metabolism and heal from within (whether that means AF or Leptin resitance or other things) before they could lose weight. The good news is that a low carb high fat diet won't make you gain a lot of weight if you need time to heal. You don't even have to be that low in carbs if you keep all the carbs at dinnertime.

All that long-winded stuff is to suggest that it might be worth it to carefully create a plan that increases your daily calories without stimulating weight gain, then let your body heal from all the stress and AF and whatever else, and then weight loss might be less of a struggle.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 175 x 3. Current Deadlift: 225 x 3

It probably seems silly, but I've never thought of slowly increasing my calories. I feel like such an idiot sometimes haha. I think I really need to concentrate on relaxing and get back into weight loss after my surgery. I'm dealing with tons of stress with my husband getting ready to go on deployment in March and I really can't focus on anything else right now. I'll stick to low carb, add in a few more carbs at dinner and work on increasing my calories to see how that helps. I've also started some new supplements so hopefully they'll help too.