Thread: how much Vitamin D and other pills to take? page

Brent* is offline Senior Member

how much Vitamin D and other pills to take?

Shop Now
    So I determined that this healthy origins vitamin D3 stuff is what I'm going to order but at 5000IU/day is that too much? Last time I got my vitamin D levels checked I was very low (also live in Seattle). Don't have insurance now, so don't want to pay just to get it checked but is 5000IU safe taking it daily long term? Also, what brand and how much omega 3 capsules should I be taking a day?

I think this covers it for daily vitamins, just curious how much is too much or too little.

Thanks guys

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    There is a lot of information about Vitamin D on the forums, I would suggest searching.

If you live in Seattle and have low levels already, you will need to start supplementing high, about 10,000IU every day for at least a few months. Get your levels checked again and adjust the dose as needed. You will probably need to supplement all year round unless you spend A LOT of time outside. So yes, 5,000IU is safe, but it may not be enough.

There is also information about omega-3 around the forums...
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Brent* is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    There is a lot of information about Vitamin D on the forums, I would suggest searching.

If you live in Seattle and have low levels already, you will need to start supplementing high, about 10,000IU every day for at least a few months. Get your levels checked again and adjust the dose as needed. You will probably need to supplement all year round unless you spend A LOT of time outside. So yes, 5,000IU is safe, but it may not be enough.

There is also information about omega-3 around the forums...
    my doctor put me on a prescription 10,000IU pill but only 1x/week. So you are saying this isn't enough? I've heard you can have too much vit. D too though....I will read around because I am curious...especially if I will really notice a difference in how I feel...

Tealia is offline Senior Member
    After finishing off my first bottle of omega-3 supplements ever, I decided that I'd rather incorporate more seafood.
    Tonight for dinner, I ate a can of herring and a can of mackeral, avoiding the kinds packed in industrial oils.

Omega 3 supplement wise, I've heard great things about Carlsons, never tried it myself.
    There aren't many problems in life that can't be solved by sleeping it off, or adding more butter.

DeeDub is offline Senior Member
    None. Popping pills is the walking talking definition of not-primal.

@lex is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeDub View Post
    None. Popping pills is the walking talking definition of not-primal.
    So is using a computer,driving a car,not hunting and gathering your food,and everything else we do.People need to stop taking the whole primal thing so literally because it just undermines the overall message.Many of the leading members of the paleo/primal community recommend supplementing your diet when you need to,including both Mark and Robb.Most recommendations state that 3 grams of fish oil a day is good for folks with unbalanced omega ratios,so that'd be a good starting point.I take a capsule with each meal unless the meal contains oily fish,and it's been nothing but beneficial to my overall health.
    Last edited by @lex; 02-06-2012 at 11:39 PM.

Wafaa is offline Member
    It is possible to take too much. You can start with 5000IU for a few weeks. You can switch later to a lower dosage and see if you feel any different.
    2000IU/day is known to be a safe dosage. I've been taking it for the last 2 years, and have felt great on it. I do stop taking it in the summer though, because then I get a good deal of sunshine and I start getting these weird sunstroke-like headaches (a good indicator that you're taking too much vit D) if I keep taking the pills.
    My art blog.

Grizz is offline Banned
    You cannot overdose on Vitamin D3 unless you go over 40,000 IU Daily or get a blood test > 140ng/ml.

Most folks require 10,000 IU Daily to get their blood reading to the optimum 70 to 100 ng/ml. You should buy the 5,000 IU geltabs which include olive oil (not soy oil). Take this dosage for 3 months, then get your blood test - at home test kit $65 or $50 at your nearest Lab Corp. Details below the line. Then adjust your dosage if outside the range of 70 to 100. Each 1,000 IU will change the blood reading by 10 ng/ml.
    If I feel a cold coming on, I double the dosage to 20,000 IU for a week.

You should take a daily multi-vitamin and also eat seaweed 3 times a week (or else take 500mcg seaweed capsules/day) .
    Iodine is ESSENTIAL to our health and most Americans are severely deficient, causing a pandoras box of health problems.
    Do your Iodine Skin Patch Test to see if you are deficient. Use Logols 5% from Amazon.Com
    Last edited by Grizz; 02-07-2012 at 02:59 AM.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Ew, mine is packed in rice bran oil. What the heck is that? How could something so dry and flaky make oil? Next time, better Vitamin D.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 175 x 3. Current Deadlift: 225 x 3