Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wheat vs Sugar vs Vegetable Oils page

jamison86 is offline Junior Member

Wheat vs Sugar vs Vegetable Oils

Primal Fuel
    For those days when I can't prepare as well as I want and I have to stop by the prepared foods section at Whole Foods for lunch, I'm wondering how I can do the least amount of damage possible to my health. There are obviously plenty of prepared options at Whole Foods that are primally safe, but sometimes a perfectly wonderful beef stew can be ruined by a bit of canola oil.

In terms of detriment, how do you guys order the big offenders? My personal experience leads me to believe that wheat is the worst, followed by vegetable oils, followed by sugar. I could easily be wrong though...perhaps they're equally terrible?

Lily Marie is offline Senior Member
    Well, if there's all 3 in the ingredients - I pass.
    If there's 1 of the ingredients, but it makes up most of the product - I pass.
    If it's something that just has a bit of it in there, it's a rare indulgence.

jamison86 is offline Junior Member
    Totally agree, Lily. I generally only mean those options that have a small amount of 1 of the 3 ingredients. Also, I was hoping to start a general discussion about which one people think is worse.

unchatenfrance is offline Senior Member
    My personal rule is to yield on wheat and sugar, and stay the hell away from vegetable oils. Despite 2 years of PB, wheat and sugar are still sometimes (immediately) tasty, while even the slightest amount of vegetable oil in something tastes so unholy to me and makes me want to barf. So I will on occasion grab sausages or meatloaf or whatever that may have bread crumbs or sugar in them, but I stay away from the store-bought dinner salads and their vomit-inducing dressings.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I think it depends on the individual. I avoid wheat/gluten like the plague because it really does a number on me and, despite the way it makes me feel, I start craving it. Sugar creeps up on me slowly, so I can handle a little every once in a while. Ans while I think oils are a huge issue, they're REALLY difficult to avoid when you're out.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

activia is offline Senior Member
    grains are first priority, large amounts of sugar, vegetable oils (since these are almost IMPOSSIBLE to stay away from if you don't prepare yourself anyways), finally small amounts of sugar for example if its between ice cream and a salad.. I'd go with teh salad. Even tho ice cream only has sugar, and salad has vegetable oils. But if I can find a salad dressing that has no bad oils, but has sugar listed on it.. then I'd choose that over the soybean dressing.

I think a lot for psychological reasons, and also grains tend to bother my stomach a bit now. Grains/sugar keep me away from all the foods I now don't eat..where vegetable oils it can look nice and primal and still taste primal..even tho its not as healthy. Heck people eat loads of nuts sometimes so...
    Last edited by activia; 02-05-2012 at 04:04 PM.
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

PrimalSexyCat is offline Junior Member
    Wheat is out first....If it has wheat I don't eat. then its a toss up between sugar and veggie oil, if its say salad dressing and its just veggie oil and no sugar I will go for that, but if there is corn syrup in it NOPE. now that I think of it, it really is hard to find anything without veggie oil and sugar right next to each other inthe ingr. list. lol
    Hydro veggie oil scaries me and corn syup and of all things that I just seen in a flipping chocolate bar the other day that just pissed me off is wheat glusone syrup??!! WTF is that?
    (sorry for all the typos)

karatepig is offline Member
    I am least willing to compromise (really, it would take a gun to my head) on wheat. If I know about them, vegetable oils are second, and sugar a close third. However, if it has a ton of sugar and few other primal nutrients, it aint going in me.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I think vegetable oils are worse for you out of all three. I avoid all three if any one of those is a major ingredient in the food. i.e. No soybean oil heavy dressings, I'll eat my salad with cheese instead. No candy. No bread.

For other foods, I avoid wheat/grains first, then vegetable oils. I will avoid sugar if it's a top item on the list, but if it's an ingredient pretty far down, I don't worry about it.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I think wheat is the worst since it has the characteristics of vegetable (rancid crap) plus antinutrients and other ugly stuff. I think the consensus around here is that sugar isn't the worst since it mainly serves to just spike insulin.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast