Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Power lifting and weight loss page

Rajput is offline Junior Member

Power lifting and weight loss

Shop Now
    Can these things go together? I know mark recommends lifting heavy things, but in the past I've never been able to lose weight while lifting weights. However this is the first time I've committed to a work out plan long enough to really test this out.

It's been two months and I have gained 4 lbs. I'm not really concerned though because I am a lot stronger and my clothes fit better. Still I have another 100 pounds to lose in total so at some point I want to see the scale going down. Let's assume I have to lift weights for my health, all I want to know is how have others done? Have you been able to lose weight and lift heavy weights? I lift three days a week on a 5x5 program, one lift a day. I also do presses and KB swings on a fourth day. I'm also curious how much weight people have lost while lifting heavy weights.

Thanks!

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    It can easily be done. Just eat clean. I lost~50 lbs of fat then replaced it with muscle on primal.

Throw away your scale- it lies. Go by what you see in the mirror or measurements.

Shaman is offline Junior Member
    I did it as well, lost about 15 pounds (I'm a 5'6" woman.) I gained some lean body mass too. People were shocked when I told them I only lost 15 pounds, everyone said it looked like more. It makes a difference when you're making significant body composition changes instead of losing lean body mass along with fat. I was running Layne Norton's PHAT (Power/Hypertrophy) training program during that time.

After a brief and unsuccessful foray in to Crossfit (sorry Crossfitters, you're all rad, but it's not my thing) I have returned to just lifting and am currently running Madcow 5x5. I find that lifting heavy dovetails with primal eating beautifully.

Lex26 is offline Senior Member
    Good to know - I'm planning on making this month the first I regularly incorporate strength training (I wanted last month to be that month, but had to solve some digestion issues). I've been wondering if I should look at the scale at all during the month. I partly feel I should just as a way of knowing whether I should really be cutting back on meals. But gaining muscle could make me unnecessarily worry about what I'm doing. I think for now I'll just dare to not look at the scale at all for February. I'll do what I need to and hope it feels like it was worth it at the end of the month.
    Starting weight: 225
    Current weight: 195
    Goal: One pull-up by December 31, 2012
    Method: Schwarzbein Principle II, program for insulin sensitive/burned-out adrenals
    My Primal Journey

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Hey heavy lifter types -- I am totally curious about this. I am also a Crossfit dropout, and the aspect of it I loved was the heavy lifting: deadlifts, weighted squats, push presses, snatch, clean, jerk, you name it. I'm a short gal who just loves lifting heavy weights. But I don't know what to *do*.

I love this story, too:
    Meet Staci: Your New Powerlifting Super Hero | Nerd Fitness

I have pretty good technique (my box actually put me through training before they'd let me join the regular class, and I'd previously trained with a Strongman coach), and I have a barbell and weights at home. What should I read or study to get started? Any helpful suggestions? I go to sites like Catalyst Athletics and think, "Yeah!" but then I get totally confused on what to do.

Thanks!

Shaman is offline Junior Member
    Hey onalark, two great resources are the book "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe (I bought mine on Amazon) or go to StrongLifts.com: Gain Strength And Muscle While Losing Fat. Stronglifts has several great programs and a guide you can download for free.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by onalark View Post
    Hey heavy lifter types -- I am totally curious about this. I am also a Crossfit dropout, and the aspect of it I loved was the heavy lifting: deadlifts, weighted squats, push presses, snatch, clean, jerk, you name it. I'm a short gal who just loves lifting heavy weights. But I don't know what to *do*.

I love this story, too:
    Meet Staci: Your New Powerlifting Super Hero | Nerd Fitness

I have pretty good technique (my box actually put me through training before they'd let me join the regular class, and I'd previously trained with a Strongman coach), and I have a barbell and weights at home. What should I read or study to get started? Any helpful suggestions? I go to sites like Catalyst Athletics and think, "Yeah!" but then I get totally confused on what to do.

Thanks!
    I think it's very hard to beat Starting Strength. If you want to think ahead, get the follow-up, Practical Programming.

Rajput is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the responses everyone. I've been primal for over a year and a half and the last six months have shown no weight loss, so I've switched to focusing on the weights for a bit to improve my health. It's encouraging to hear your successes!

onalark: Never Let Go by Dan John has been the single best book I've read about lifting. I highly recommend it.

Winterbike is offline Senior Member
    It could be interesting to add slow stuff to your training. A good walk here and there or a light swim will boost your fitness without interfering with your strength gains. It will also probably make a difference with your weight loss.

otzi Guest
    Rajput - If you are 100lbs overweight and carrying most of it as fat, you are not doing PB right. Either you got hormonal issues (thyroid, leptin, insulin, test, cortisol, etc...), sleep problems, or you are eating too much. I'd recommend cleaning up your diet and getting good set of labs before expecting to get really strong and lean. The same things that keep you fat will keep you from gaining muscle.
    Since you didn't mention where you started at, I may be speaking completely out of turn here, but a 6 mo stall with 100lbs to go is not the normal course of events. It's usually a 2-3 mo stall with 20lbs to go.
    Last edited by otzi; 02-06-2012 at 09:05 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast