Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Power lifting and weight loss page 2

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaman View Post
    Hey onalark, two great resources are the book "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe (I bought mine on Amazon) or go to StrongLifts.com: Gain Strength And Muscle While Losing Fat. Stronglifts has several great programs and a guide you can download for free.
    I took a look at Stronglifts last night and downloaded the worksheet. A leetle bit perplexed as to why the author has no testimonials from women, but whatevah. Works for guys, works for girls, that's all that matters.

I'll also take a look at "Starting Strength". Thanks all!

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by onalark View Post
    I took a look at Stronglifts last night and downloaded the worksheet. A leetle bit perplexed as to why the author has no testimonials from women, but whatevah. Works for guys, works for girls, that's all that matters.

I'll also take a look at "Starting Strength". Thanks all!
    Starting Strength covers gender differences some.

Rajput is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    Rajput - If you are 100lbs overweight and carrying most of it as fat, you are not doing PB right. Either you got hormonal issues (thyroid, leptin, insulin, test, cortisol, etc...), sleep problems, or you are eating too much. I'd recommend cleaning up your diet and getting good set of labs before expecting to get really strong and lean. The same things that keep you fat will keep you from gaining muscle.
    Since you didn't mention where you started at, I may be speaking completely out of turn here, but a 6 mo stall with 100lbs to go is not the normal course of events. It's usually a 2-3 mo stall with 20lbs to go.
    Thanks for the response Otzi. I lost around 110 lbs the first year and have stalled the last six months.

Quote Originally Posted by Rajput View Post
    Thanks for the response Otzi. I lost around 110 lbs the first year and have stalled the last six months.
    It could easily be muscle gain.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Apex Predator View Post
    It could easily be muscle gain.
    I'll bet he didn't gain 100lbs of muscle! This is probably a good case for people to follow. Started PB 220lbs overweight, lost 100lbs in first year, then hit a 6 mo stall. Definitely something going on if he digs deep enough. I hit a stall, though not quite as drastic and it turned out to be thyroid related. I couldn't lose no matter how low I cut the calories. Hit walls in workouts. Fixing the thyroid broke the stall. If labs check out, he should try out the Digital Surgeon Leptin Reset.

I'll bet he didn't gain 100lbs of muscle! This is probably a good case for people to follow. Started PB 220lbs overweight, lost 100lbs in first year, then hit a 6 mo stall. Definitely something going on if he digs deep enough. I hit a stall, though not quite as drastic and it turned out to be thyroid related. I couldn't lose no matter how low I cut the calories. Hit walls in workouts. Fixing the thyroid broke the stall. If labs check out, he should try out the Digital Surgeon Leptin Reset.
    The 4 pounds he gained back after losing 100 when he started exercising after having not exercised could easily be muscle.

Leptin reset wouldn't hurt anything.

Rajput is offline Junior Member
    Thanks a lot for this otzi, I've read over the basics and it sounds like exactly what I need to try. Ironically I would have to stop lifting weights for awhile which is the one thing I am unclear on. Dr. Jack says once we are no longer LR we can start lifting heavy things again, but he has also said that if we are overweight we would be LR. This can't mean that there is no physical activity until we have less than 30 lbs to lose though. I took it to mean we do the LR for 6-8 weeks and once we feel we are LS again, we can start lifting weights again.

Can anyone confirm that? I looked through some links but the threads are really huge. The weightlifting is part of my physical therapy so I'm anxious to know.

Lex26 is offline Senior Member
    Yeah - man, I wish some nerd like Mark would help me verify how legit Dr. Kruse is. I have a feeling I'll be trying the same thing soon, but not before I put a lot more effort into my exercise regimen over the next month. If going hard as I can (with enough recovery time, don't worry) for a month still doesn't do much on the weight scale, it'll be time to experiment.
    Starting weight: 225
    Current weight: 195
    Goal: One pull-up by December 31, 2012
    Method: Schwarzbein Principle II, program for insulin sensitive/burned-out adrenals
    My Primal Journey

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

astronmr20 is offline Senior Member
    I've lost weight and fat, but not changed shirt sizes. That's an amazing thing about Primal. Traditionally, I've always been told it's not possible or efficient to both lose fat and gain muscle at the same time, but with changing body composition, that seems to be exactly what I'm experiencing. It's weird, but cool.

There were actually old pics of me fitting in much smaller shirts, and I've always thought to myself that I'd love to be back to that weight. I kept those old shirts wishing someday they'd fit again. However, I look at those photos now, and I think "man I look sickly!" Yes I was thinner, but I was pale, my arms were smaller, and I just looked... off. At first I was disappointed that I couldn't fit into those shirts, now, with a properly-proportioned chest (Im a guy), it appears I was never meant to.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Rajput View Post
    Thanks a lot for this otzi, I've read over the basics and it sounds like exactly what I need to try. Ironically I would have to stop lifting weights for awhile which is the one thing I am unclear on. Dr. Jack says once we are no longer LR we can start lifting heavy things again, but he has also said that if we are overweight we would be LR. This can't mean that there is no physical activity until we have less than 30 lbs to lose though. I took it to mean we do the LR for 6-8 weeks and once we feel we are LS again, we can start lifting weights again.

Can anyone confirm that? I looked through some links but the threads are really huge. The weightlifting is part of my physical therapy so I'm anxious to know.
    All the Dr. K leptin stuff is useless without knowing where you stand in terms of metabolism/body chemistry. He will tell you that. If I stalled 6 mo w/100lbs to go, I would make an appt with an Endocrinologist and ask for a good set of labs. As a minimum, test thyroid function, cholesterol, testosterone, glucose, vit D, and whatever else they can think of. Dr. K has a good post on his blog about labs: What labs are required for optimization? - Jack Kruse

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast