Thread: How ripe should fruit ideally be? page

AmyMac703 is offline Senior Member

How ripe should fruit ideally be?

Primal Fuel
    Title says it all. I've found that I prefer some fruits (avocados and tomatoes mostly) a bit less ripe than most people, especially since I usually eat them on salads so I want them a little less mushy.
    So is there any nutritional difference (not calories, but more along the lines of micronutrients/vitamins/etc) between ripe fruit and not-ripe fruit?
    Subduction leads to orogeny

My blog that I don't update as often as I should: http://primalclimber.blogspot.com/

Issabeau is offline Senior Member
    I've heard that unripe fruits are higher in vitamin C that's why you get diarrhea more readily on green cherries, rather than ripe red ones.
    But other nutrients go up and vit. C goes down the riper the fruit turns.
    I don't know which ones though....sorry

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Variety! Sometimes underripe, sometimes half-rotten.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

rockstareddy is offline Senior Member
    Good question i thought about this before, but i think there is no right answer!

ive read stuff about varying nutritional quality, and not just with ripening, with cooking too. someting go up some go down...

I realised, it wasnt worth caring about, no animal in the animal kingdom worries about exactly how ripe their fruit is lol

When fruit gets really ripe it ferments, here we realise fermented foods are beneficial! so should we let all our fruit do that? but at the same time, too much fructose can be bad, and riper fruits have higher sugar contents......... mix it up, enjoy it, dont worry about it
    Last edited by rockstareddy; 02-05-2012 at 12:27 PM.
    www.healthfreakrevolution.com

No more diets. No more stress. Health made easy. Living made incredible.

Nady is offline Senior Member
    I really like fermented fruit~~ well, fermented grapes anyway~~

cantare is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Heh. In my house it's an academic question, because inevitably the fruit arrives a bit underripe and a bit overabundant, and then it's a race to eat it all before it goes bad. (I currently limit carbs and don't eat a ton of fruit.)

With avocados in particular there's a big distinction between ripe and mature. Here in CA much of the winter supply comes from Chile, and often these are picked long before they have had a chance to develop much oil content. They look right on the outside and go from hard to soft on the same timetable, but even if you let them sit a while they are whitish and watery inside, and sometimes also stringy...very disappointing for a Hass avocado that should be yellow-green and buttery. In the off season I look for the Mexican ones that don't have so far to travel.

And if you do get mature/high-fat avos and let them go too mushy they develop a high tyramine content...imparts a funky rancid flavor I don't much like, and apparently it's a real no-no for anyone taking MAO inhibitors.