Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: male pattern baldness page

jgriff86 is offline Junior Member

male pattern baldness

Primal Fuel
    as the thread suggests I had a question about male pattern baldness. as a current sufferer (at 25) Ive done a little reading and found out its because of a hormonal imbalance. (shocker) specifically andosterone. so I spoke with a doctor to find out there are pills and rubs that can help but with a disappointing end. lose the functionality of your penis, or once you stop using the meds your hair falls out. Just wondering if there were any used-to-be-balds out there practicing the paleo lifestyle. Ive been living like grok for a month now, and feel great just wondering if this hormone imbalance can be corrected with proper diet and hormonal regularity.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    I feel your pain. I started going bald around 28 and by 35 I was in need of someone to tell me "shave it off, dude" - but I resisted till a couple of years ago. The bald life is better I promise. Simpler, very masculine, low maintenance. Much better than either losing penis function or becoming dependent on a cream steroid rub every day.
    The bald look goes well with having a bit of muscle though, so that's another reason to get some proper strength exercise in.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    You can shave it off and be proud, comb it over and look like an idiot or save your pennies for a decent transplant. If you're not that far along have the barber buzz it to a mm or less. Any topical or internal treatment as you note has side effects worse than the "problem." I would not even put it in the top ten things I would change about myself. In ten years the majority of men your age will be in the same boat anyway and you'll be more worried about keeping hair from growing where you don't want it.

I don't buy the imbalance theory, it seems to grow fine everywhere else but the top.

T is right, now that my chest is bigger than my waist women think it's attractive, before not so much.
    Last edited by IvyBlue; 02-05-2012 at 10:31 AM. Reason: saw above
    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

Angieh is offline Senior Member
    Danny Roddy's website offers lots of info on the topic -- it's basically been a life quest for him.

Meegeek is offline Senior Member
    got it too, have it in the front, not the back. started buzzing in my late 30's using a #2. That was in the early 90's. now at a #1 and thinking about shaving, but not a lot of encouragement from my wife on that. still not having to really worry about hair is a blessing. save a ton on haircuts as you can totally DIY this. just start buzzing or shaving and you won't look back.

have been wondering about primal impact on hair growth. i have had chronically low testosterone and have been on androgel for over a year. at my age, this is only a concern for prostrate issues and you have to watch PSA pretty close (test every 3 months) but I have been able to get it back up (excuse the pun)to normal levels and am doing fine. once i reach my major milestone weight i am thinking about cutting back and stopping the gel and see what happens, but my low readings were really low for my age. since i started using the androgel have not had any problems with functionally in the junk department. testosterone levels have a lot more to do with a overall feeling of well being then sexual functionality.
    "When you can't run, you crawl. And when you can't crawl, when you can't do that ... you find someone to carry you."

Onward....my primal journal
    2012 Slow Movement Challenge: My distance so far = 665 kM

My Map My Tracks Profile

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IvyBlue View Post
    You can shave it off and be proud, comb it over and look like an idiot or save your pennies for a decent transplant. If you're not that far along have the barber buzz it to a mm or less. Any topical or internal treatment as you note has side effects worse than the "problem." I would not even put it in the top ten things I would change about myself. In ten years the majority of men your age will be in the same boat anyway and you'll be more worried about keeping hair from growing where you don't want it.

I don't buy the imbalance theory, it seems to grow fine everywhere else but the top.

T is right, now that my chest is bigger than my waist women think it's attractive, before not so much.
    THIS!
    Sorry... hope you don't mind a gal chiming in.

Seriously, embrace it. Confidence is sexy.
    My husband started going bald in his early 20's... we met in our mid 20's. IMO he would look silly WITH hair. Mind you... I'm 5'9"/blonde/blue and he is 5'6"... and there were no shortage of tall guys with full heads of hair chasing my tail back them. Personality and confidence are what is important. Find a way to be comfortable with yourself and everyone else will be too... and honestly if they aren't F* them.

Bald is hot.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

cave-e8r is offline Member
    I'll echo what others have said. I started losing mine early, in my mid 20's. Now, in my late 30's, I take either a #1 or a #2 to it, depending on which one I find first. I find that I like the buzzed close look, and others prefer it on me too.

Grumpycakes is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Seriously, embrace it. Confidence is sexy.

My husband started going bald in his early 20's... we met in our mid 20's. IMO he would look silly WITH hair. Mind you... I'm 5'9"/blonde/blue and he is 5'6"... and there were no shortage of tall guys with full heads of hair chasing my tail back them. Personality and confidence are what is important. Find a way to be comfortable with yourself and everyone else will be too... and honestly if they aren't F* them.

Bald is hot.
    You are sending mixed messages. Be confident with yourself, but bald is hot?

I shaved my head bald for the past 6 years and got tired of the look. More than that, I realized that the fact that I shaved it to hide a perceived deficiency was a hindrance to my self-esteem, no matter how good I looked bald. I am letting it grow out now, with a full beard. I find that if you are not bothered by your baldness, no one else will be, including chicks.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

deepglades is offline Senior Member
    1/4" buzz will change your life. No need to dive right down to the floorboards.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
    You are sending mixed messages. Be confident with yourself, but bald is hot?

I shaved my head bald for the past 6 years and got tired of the look. More than that, I realized that the fact that I shaved it to hide a perceived deficiency was a hindrance to my self-esteem, no matter how good I looked bald. I am letting it grow out now, with a full beard. I find that if you are not bothered by your baldness, no one else will be, including chicks.
    So sorry... it should have been "IMO bald is hot." as I have a tendency to have a thing for bald guys... at least bald confident guys. Personal preference and all I'd take a bald guy with a winning personality and confidence over a the same confidence in a guy with a full head of hair. I just don't find a lot of hair all that important on a guy. I didn't think it was a mixed signal at all, but you are of course able to interpret it however you like.

Mt husband does not shave his head and never has. He keeps it all short and neat. But shaving to complete baldness is good too IMO. You might think that a full shave is hiding something... it's not. It's still pretty obvious which parts of the head have hair and which do not.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast