Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: male pattern baldness page 5

JWBooth is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Good View Post
    What would be the point of having hair if you got castrated? It's like taking a drug which makes your feet fall off but also happens to give you super legs.

And how the heck do hair transplants work? My head hair is blond but aside from an odd patch on my genitals the rest is dark brown.
    I'm not an advocate of castration for hair loss prevention. He asked for a cure, and as it is the only known method of preventing MPB, I had to throw it out there. It's up to him to decide whether castration is right for him. Eunuchs were castrated for very different motivations, and had no choice in the matter anyway, but their misfortune did provide science an important clue to the mechanism behind male pattern baldness.

As for hair transplants, they works by taking hairs from the back of your head (which are not affected by male pattern baldness) and re-inserting them in the top of the head. The downside is that there is obviously only so much hair you can take from the back before the back starts looking thin too, so there is a limit to how much natural hair transplants can help. But with a slowly progressing case of MPB, it can clearly stave off baldness for quite some time and in the meantime perhaps a cure will be found or hair plugs will get better, and worst case scenario you can always resort to shaving your head after the transplants have bought you an extra couple years.

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    J Griff - I am with Cori on this one. Bald guys are hot !!!!!!! Stand tall and be proud !!!!!
    best wishes from Old Gwamma
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I realize this old thread was resurrected by a spambot, but...

Some years back I read a study done in Japan, where men are terrified of baldness because they fear women are laughing at them for it. The study showed that women didn't care at all about whether a man has a full head of hair or is balding. It was the other guys who teased men who were balding.

Women don't care about baldness, at least as long as a guy doesn't go to obvious fails like bad toupees or combovers. They're okay with trim hair, and they're also okay with the shaved look. If you look like Ben Franklin, you can get away with that look, too.

Be interesting, and grow some muscles.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    I shaved my head for a while in my younger years (and will again if I ever start to lose my hair), and I found that the ladies would say they didn't like it. But their actions tended to reveal otherwise. Women are notoriously unreliable reporters of the traits they find attractive.

Corwin1968 is offline Member
    The only thing you should be using a #1 or #2 guard on clippers for is to get your hair short enough to shave. I didn't even buzz my hair until I was in my 30's and it was literally a night and day difference. I look much better without hair than I ever did with hair, even before it started thinning. Shaving your head is a liberating feeling. No more carrying a comb, no more worrying about the wind, no more dandruff, no more shampoo or conditioner. I shave mine once or twice a week.

Don't believe any claims about reversing baldness. The person who comes up with a real "cure" for baldness will make Bill Gates look like a welfare recipient. I'm sure BILLIONS have been spent on research and nobody has gotten there yet.

Green Deane Guest
    I have thought about this for a while... and I have no evidence to support my imagination on this topic nor have I ever read of it being asserted elsewhere ... however it seems to me that one advantage to going bald is more exposure to sunlight hence vitamin D production. Or to work it backwards, is MPB a sex linked evolutionary advantage? And as some women have it also is there a shared trait et cetera. Clearly men who do not lose their hair are a minority. Do they need less vitamin D? Is there a fluctuating need for more vitamin D that coincides with the onset of MPB? Maybe it is not vitamin D at all but some other need or state that more sun exposure attends.

(Also how do we get our photo to appear on our posts?)

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Deane View Post
    (Also how do we get our photo to appear on our posts?)
    Forum actions/general settings/edit avatar

geostump is offline Senior Member
    My husband started balding at age 17 and has been shaving his head since he was 21. He looks much better with a shaved head.

On the other hand, due to hormonal issues, I was diagnosed with male pattern baldness in 2007. I keep my hair short and am actually considering a hair transplant. I do have some hair on top, just not what I had 12-15 years ago.
    Georgette

Green Deane Guest
    Thanks...

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    One thing that bugs me; why do women assume they're the only reason men care about having hair? I couldn't care less if every woman in the world preferred bald men, I like my hair, regardless if a million bogus randomized studies claim that women don't care about it.

Regarding vitamin d, it won't cure or halt hair loss, though the vitamin d receptors could be a therapeutic target, if one is deficient anyway. Plenty of people get plenty of vitamin d, and go bald. There are many theories regarding hair loss, it's a multiple factor puzzle.

The craziest theory is regarding homeless people, vitamin d, and hair lol, but I think homeless people are enlightened in some way, and probably have less stress in their lives oddly enough.
    nihil

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast