Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: male pattern baldness page 4

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
    Because they are confused.
    LOL... they are confused just because they don't share your opinion about hair. You're cracking me up today.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    LOL... they are confused just because they don't share your opinion about hair. You're cracking me up today.
    I don't know why no one has received the memo that I am right about everything.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

waweng is offline Junior Member
    nice post xD

i see my life in this post

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    My view on male pattern baldness is it's largely a neolithic disorder caused by malnutrition, food toxins and hormonal imbalance. Polyunsaturated fat (particularly omega 6), plant lectins, poor nutrient absorption due to high levels of fiber fermenting in the gut from overconsumption of vegetables, lack of nutrition from grain-fed animals, low levels of vitamin D, oxidation from low levels of vitamin E, low levels of vitamin B from not enough protein, stressful jobs causing overproduction of cortisol...these all factor into these hormonal imbalances. There is nothing normal or healthy about it, and it is definitely caused by a LACK OF TESTOSTERONE and too much estrogen. Look at the men on basketball courts and football fields - almost all of them have the hairlines of children. It's incredible. Why? High levels of testosterone, low levels of estrogen, low levels of stress thanks to a cushy job and a lavish lifestyle and likely much better nutrition than the average American. These things all play a role. My hair has recovered a bit since I've gone Primal and really focused on heavy lifting and hormone generation instead of stupid things like cardio and situps (dumb shit I used to waste my time on pre-Primal and pre-Martin Berkhan).

Mind you, chronic low carbohydrate diets are also anti-hair. Saturated fats and glucose promote high levels of testosterone, low levels of estrogen and low levels of cortisol. Low carbohydrate diets cause decreased thyroid, decreased libido and therefore decreased testosterone/increased estrogen/increased cortisol/promote hair loss, which is probably why you hear so many people complaining of hair loss going Primal (because people think Primal is low carb for some reason - we were made to digest ample starch whereas we were not made to digest much fibrous vegetation). I believe the ultimate hair growth diet would be ample grass fed beef, potatoes/white rice, coconut oil, butter and low levels of fiber. If you want awesome hair, get your B vitamins from liver, not greens, and eat more fruit and starch.

My opinion.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 02-06-2012 at 09:22 PM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

torres is offline Junior Member

Baldness

Researchers from Yale University may have found a genetically natural cure for baldness - stem cells that tell a person’s hair when it’s time to grow...according to the scientists, these stem cells are the source of the signals that trigger hair growth and are found within the fatty layer of the skin

kenn is offline Senior Member
    Grow a beard/facial hair to balance it
    Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
    Starting Weight: 294 pounds
    Current Weight: 235 pounds
    Goal Weight: 195 pounds

JWBooth is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    My view on male pattern baldness is it's largely a neolithic disorder caused by malnutrition, food toxins and hormonal imbalance. Polyunsaturated fat (particularly omega 6), plant lectins, poor nutrient absorption due to high levels of fiber fermenting in the gut from overconsumption of vegetables, lack of nutrition from grain-fed animals, low levels of vitamin D, oxidation from low levels of vitamin E, low levels of vitamin B from not enough protein, stressful jobs causing overproduction of cortisol...these all factor into these hormonal imbalances. There is nothing normal or healthy about it, and it is definitely caused by a LACK OF TESTOSTERONE and too much estrogen. Look at the men on basketball courts and football fields - almost all of them have the hairlines of children. It's incredible. Why? High levels of testosterone, low levels of estrogen, low levels of stress thanks to a cushy job and a lavish lifestyle and likely much better nutrition than the average American. These things all play a role. My hair has recovered a bit since I've gone Primal and really focused on heavy lifting and hormone generation instead of stupid things like cardio and situps (dumb shit I used to waste my time on pre-Primal and pre-Martin Berkhan).
    My opinion.
    I think you are really off base on this. Maybe diet and such could play a role in the rate of hair thinning on some level or in hair loss unrelated to male pattern baldness, but male pattern baldness (which is what the OP is talking about) has been pretty conclusively demonstrated to be a genetic condition. And I think your testosterone theory is really, really off base. Dihydrotestosterone is trigger for male pattern baldness. People who suffer male pattern baldness usually have higher levels of free testosterone. The only known method of preventing male pattern baldness, in fact, is castration prior to puberty. Eunuchs won't go bald no matter what their genetic profile. Exercise and increased sexual activity will cause higher DHT levels, so the idea that athletes are protected from baldness makes little sense in theory and I'd dispute there is any observational evidence of it either. There are plenty of bald athletes. You notice it less because nowadays especially any athlete with hair thinning just shaves the head completely. But Terry Bradshaw, Drew Brees, Matt Hasslebeck, Wes Welker, Mark Messier, Tie Domi, Andre Agassi, Wayne Rooney, Zinedine Zidane, Fabien Barthez, Landon Donovan, are just a few high profile hairline impaired superstars or former stars I can think of off the top of my head. As Male Pattern Baldness is genetic, I suppose it is possible whites are more likely have the genes than blacks, so if you mostly watch black dominated sports rather than white dominated sports, this could be what is throwing you off, but I have no idea if that is true or not and I doubt any studies have ever been done on it in any event.

And to the OP, no, other than the aforementioned castration, there is no real cure for male pattern baldness at the present time. Shaving your head and getting in to the best physical shape possible (a lack of hair tends to focus attention on you physique) is your best option at the present time unless you want to try Rogaine (which doesn't seem all that effective) or go with the even more expensive hair transplant (which, getting back to the previous point, I'm pretty sure Patriots star Tom Brady has done- and speaking of which, world class surfer Kelly Slater, who was Gisele Bündchen's rebound in between breaking up with Leo and marrying Tom is also bald) route.
    Last edited by JWBooth; 09-21-2012 at 07:22 PM.

Credodisi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    I feel your pain. I started going bald around 28 and by 35 I was in need of someone to tell me "shave it off, dude" - but I resisted till a couple of years ago. The bald life is better I promise. Simpler, very masculine, low maintenance. Much better than either losing penis function or becoming dependent on a cream steroid rub every day.
    The bald look goes well with having a bit of muscle though, so that's another reason to get some proper strength exercise in.
    Very masculine. Seriously. Yul Brenner, jean luc Picard, Ed Harris. I had crushes on them all...even at a young age.

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JWBooth View Post
    I think you are really off base on this. Maybe diet and such could play a role in the rate of hair thinning on some level or in hair loss unrelated to male pattern baldness, but male pattern baldness (which is what the OP is talking about) has been pretty conclusively demonstrated to be a genetic condition. And I think your testosterone theory is really, really off base. Dihydrotestosterone is trigger for male pattern baldness. People who suffer male pattern baldness usually have higher levels of free testosterone. The only known method of preventing male pattern baldness, in fact, is castration prior to puberty. Eunuchs won't go bald no matter what their genetic profile. Exercise and increased sexual activity will cause higher DHT levels, so the idea that athletes are protected from baldness makes little sense in theory and I'd dispute there is any observational evidence of it either. There are plenty of bald athletes. You notice it less because nowadays especially any athlete with hair thinning just shaves the head completely. But Terry Bradshaw, Drew Brees, Matt Hasslebeck, Wes Welker, Mark Messier, Tie Domi, Andre Agassi, Wayne Rooney, Zinedine Zidane, Fabien Barthez, Landon Donovan, are just a few high profile hairline impaired superstars or former stars I can think of off the top of my head. As Male Pattern Baldness is genetic, I suppose it is possible whites are more likely have the genes than blacks, so if you mostly watch black dominated sports rather than white dominated sports, this could be what is throwing you off, but I have no idea if that is true or not and I doubt any studies have ever been done on it in any event.

And to the OP, no, other than the aforementioned castration, there is no real cure for male pattern baldness at the present time. Shaving your head and getting in to the best physical shape possible (a lack of hair tends to focus attention on you physique) is your best option at the present time unless you want to try Rogaine (which doesn't seem all that effective) or go with the even more expensive hair transplant (which, getting back to the previous point, I'm pretty sure Patriots star Tom Brady has done- and speaking of which, world class surfer Kelly Slater, who was Gisele Bündchen's rebound in between breaking up with Leo and marrying Tom is also bald) route.
    What would be the point of having hair if you got castrated? It's like taking a drug which makes your feet fall off but also happens to give you super legs.

And how the heck do hair transplants work? My head hair is blond but aside from an odd patch on my genitals the rest is dark brown.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Balding since 23 and was very traumatized by it for a few years. Finally bit the bullet about 10 years ago and said "Hair, I do not accept your resignation, you're FIRED"!...and my god did it ever reverse my fortunes with the opposite sex. Every woman I've dated since who has seen pictures of me with hair said they wouldn't have looked twice at me back then. Not the least bit concerned with hair anymore....except for the ones which have recently taken up residence on my shoulders. What's the deal with the southerly migration of active follicles when we hit middle age?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast