Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: male pattern baldness page 3

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    This conversation is making me miss my past-shoulder-length mass of wavy brown locks, which took me a couple of years to grow out.

I am now sporting a Standard American Male Haircut and it's very boring.

I don't miss taking care of my hair, though. That was a pain in the ass--always very prone to tangling and required frequent brushing out.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

carlh is offline Senior Member
    Rather than debates on the relative hotness of shaved heads, I'm pretty sure the OP is asking if there are any paleo-approved effective treatments.
    Wasn't somebody (grok?) touting regular consumption of DE/Diatomacious-Earth for that - amongst a plethora of other things?

edit: there's this, which sounds promising but cites zero scientific research: http://www.vissastudios.com/benefits...ous-earth-hair
    Last edited by carlh; 02-06-2012 at 11:43 AM.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikebike View Post
    I've been shaving my head for probably seven years now. Would never go back to growing out the 100 hairs on top my head. I feel sorry for guys that try to hold on to what clearly isn't much there any more. Could care less what others think or don't think about it.
    Thumbs up!
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    Rather than debates on the relative hotness of shaved heads, I'm pretty sure the OP is asking if there are any paleo-approved effective treatments.
    Wasn't somebody (grok?) touting regular consumption of DE/Diatomacious-Earth for that - amongst a plethora of other things?

edit: there's this, which sounds promising but cites zero scientific research: The Benefits of Diatomaceous Earth for Hair | Vissa Studios
    There are a million wives tales out there about what to do to "fix" this problem.... if one WANTS to call it that. It's only a problem if you see it that way IMO. Men used to rub dung on their heads and all sorts of things, now they use late night infomercial laser combs. It's b-o-l-o-g-n-a.

However, the only ones actually ever proven to be even marginally successful are the freaky hormone laden chemical stuff.
    Or save a bunch of money and have the baldness resistant hair surgically removed from the back of your head and moved to the top.
    Those are the only real options. Both of them are ridiculous IMO. And I'm pretty sure that is why the majority of the messages here are leaning the way they are.
    Last edited by cori93437; 02-06-2012 at 11:53 AM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche

I started losing my hair at 18, and by mid-20s the top was very thin already. And all of this before Rogaine and the like were available. By my 30s I had stopped fighting it and started buzzing it down. My wife thinks it's a hot look, and frankly there are lots of benefits. Buy a $25 pair of clippers, and that's basically your only hair styling expense for a decade. Note: You will need to buy a new one every 10 years or so. That means you'll spend almost an entire freakin' penny a day to keep the look going. It also takes a long time to get your style going in the morning, as in, towel off your head and you're good to go. Think about all the time and money you'll save over the course of a lifetime, and stop worrying about finding crazy-assed hoodoo cures. I used to wish I could re-grow my hair, but as time has gone on there are about a million other things I give more of a shit about.

Think of a buzzed head as a perfect complement to your primal bod: streamlined, tight, badass.

Don't even bother with the 1/8" attachment, go full throttle with the bare trimmers and take it all the way down to seude.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot
    Delilah took Samson's hair taking his strength.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot
    I know...I am talking now.
    So where does the notion of shaving one's own head to become a strong, primal animal come from? You just made it up. The prejudice against baldness has been around for millennia. You can't just erase it because the idea is uncomfortable. I know this is the 21st century and all, where anything becomes credible if it appeals to emotion, but let's try to keep it real. A man who shaves his head is thinking, on some deep level, "Well, my big bald spot looks shitty, but at least having no hair looks less shitty." Given the choice, every man would prefer to have a full head of healthy hair.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

tcb
    tcb is offline Senior Member
    My dads bald, both grandpas were bald, he'll my step dad is bald... I never stood a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
    So where does the notion of shaving one's own head to become a strong, primal animal come from? You just made it up. The prejudice against baldness has been around for millennia. You can't just erase it because the idea is uncomfortable. I know this is the 21st century and all, where anything becomes credible if it appeals to emotion, but let's try to keep it real. A man who shaves his head is thinking, on some deep level, "Well, my big bald spot looks shitty, but at least having no hair looks less shitty." Given the choice, every man would prefer to have a full head of healthy hair.
    Hmm... then why do SOME men "with full head[s] of healthy hair" choose to shave it?

That's a bit like saying that every woman would perfer to have huge tits or to be blonde. It's just not true.
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Hmm... then why do SOME men "with full head[s] of healthy hair" choose to shave it?
    And some women. I spent a couple of years in my early 20s rocking the shaved head and Doc Martens look. Oh, and for those who think that bald chicks don't get any, I got hit on a lot by both men and women. Good times, good times.

But anyhow...

I think my partner is hot, balding or not. I usually help him cut his hair every couple of weeks with the clippers using the short guard. He looks good--with the short haircut and his strong facial features, I think he looks like a Roman general. Maybe it's because I'm in my mid-30s, but I find the maturity implied in thinning or greying hair is pretty attractive, just as smile lines are also appealing. I want a man, not a boy.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly
    And some women
    Because they are confused.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast