Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP - I'm stuck. Overeating page

JSL Dad is offline Junior Member

HELP - I'm stuck. Overeating

Primal Fuel
    I went Primal last year and was doing/feeling great, but then my wife gave birth to twins in September and all diet/exercise went out the window. My wife is not unsupportive of my primal lifestyle but she is a carb lover who does not like meat or fatty foods. The combination of home stress, work stress, sleep deprivation, winter blues, etc. has put me into a bad place.

As a result, I reintroduced primal lifestyle at the beginning of this year as part of my new years resolution (I know, that's stupid but the timing was right). I've been generally eating primal since 1/1/12 but am not seeing or feeling the results I felt last time around. I've compared the differences between this time and last years primal efforts and they are as follows:
    - I'm not sleeping well (infants do that).
    - I am not exercising like I was last time - due to lack of sleep and lack of time - but have been walking a little
    - I'm eating a lot more - sometimes out of hunger but often I'm not even sureI'm hungry or I'm eating mindlessly (even though its primal foods I choose).

Unfortunately, I can't change the sleep and exercise too much at this stage until the babies get a little bigger so I'm really trying to hone in on the eating. Plus, from what I've read, I feel like if I'm following the diet, those other things shouldn't be important and am just feeling stuck. I think my biggest problem is that i am eating way too much. While most of what I'm consuming is primal friendly (meat, veggies, nuts, seeds, fruit) I am having trouble following the "eat only when hungry" and am having binges almost daily. This results in excessive intake (mostly at night and mostly nuts and fruit or dark chocolate).

I know this is likely my problem but can't seem to kick the "mental" aspect of eating only when hungry.

I would greatly appreciate any advice and suggestions on how to manage this. I love primal foods, I love the way I felt last year when I was "in the zone" primally. I'm stuck and can't seem to get back to where I was but desperately want to.

PLEASE HELP!

PrimalPam is offline Member
    My advice would be to truly do a Leptin Reset. Eat a huge breakfast of lots of protein and fat (coconut oil, sat. fat from meat, etc.), then eat a small lunch (you may not find you're even hungry for it), then eat a Primal dinner (meat, lots of veggies, and fat from coconut oil, ghee, etc.). Period. Zero snacks. And finish dinner by 7 pm. Period!

Cut out the nuts, the chocolate, the handfuls of this, handfuls of that. If you want to eat fruit, eat it as part of your meal: i.e. 1/2 cup of blueberries, at the very end of your meal. You have to give all your organs time to digest and then relax between feedings.

As for the sleep, well I really feel for you. Can you & your wife take turns? Tonight's my night to wake up with them; tomorrow's yours? At least getting a full night's sleep every other night? Or some other arrangement?

I spent most of last year doing LC and/or VLC dieting with zero results (I weighed around 162 and needed to lose weight). When I started the LR, it was like a light bulb for me, because there were RULES I had to follow. The no-snacking thing was huge for me and really has helped. Oh, there's a bowl of nuts here...but I can't, as it's a snack. Oh, that looks good....oops, it would be a snack. No.
    Last edited by PrimalPam; 02-05-2012 at 06:32 AM.
    Truly Paleo since 1/1/2012 (Doing Leptin reset)
    Turned 50 on 3/8/2012 !!!
    5'2" Female
    11/27/2011: 162.8 lbs.
    7/15/12 : 148.6 lbs.
    Clean Paleo diet: Lots of CO, Meat, Seafood, and doing CT 5x/week, 40 mins @ 50-52 degrees F

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    What Pam suggests has ended my binges. Kabam. It took a while, but it works. The breakfast should be at least 50gm of protein, which is like 3 eggs & 4oz of sausage or any other meat. At least 2T of some kind of fat: coconut oil should at least one tablespoon, then add more, or butter, collected bacon grease, beef fat, duck fat, etc.

I can't emphasize enough how well this works.

If your wife does the same, she will probably stop being a carb addict.

For sleep, I started sleeping with my babies b/c I couldn't safely drive to work anymore for lack of sleep. A lot of people have become convinced by the AAP that it's dangerous, but that's nonsense if done in a common sense way (no fluffy bedding, waterbeds, drunk or medicated parents, etc.), just as it was done for eons by our ancestors. It doesn't work for everyone, but I have slept with a baby or toddler in my bed peacefully for 13 years since I decided to start doing it, at a time when I didn't even know anyone else did, or that it had a name (cosleeping) or a controversy. It was just survival for me.

And yes, they all left the bed on their own will as they grew out of babyhood, around 2.5 - 3.5 years old, as they left diapers, nursing, being carried a lot, and other signs of babyhood. They never returned, either. Not when sick, stormy, or any other reason. they got mama-sleeping out of their system and have moved on.

Now, twins makes it twice as complex, and you'll probably still miss some sleep, but you're almost guaranteed to sleep much, much better this way (as long as you can both overcome the fear planted in modern parents about this, and as long as neither of you has an underlying hormonal anomaly undermining good sleep). But again, it doesn't fit best into every family's circumstances, so just take it for what it is - something that worked for me.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

Sharon C. is offline Junior Member
    Wow, I am having the same problem and its scary because PB has always worked for me in the past and I have raved to everyone that would listen about how great it was and now I am having a problem. Everything was fine until last summer when my business began struggling and I began severely stressing about the dip in my finances and changes in the industry that I don't know I can overcome. Right around that time, I broke out with a rash all over my body that got increasingly worse and kept spreading until they put me on prednisone to stop it. While on prednisone and covered with a rash and with a sick feeling of dread in the pit of my gut on a daily basis, it was too much and I panicked and began eating outside the primal circle. I didn't know if I had been primal for too long and had now developed a sensitivity to the same foods I eat over and over again while eliminating entire food groups, or what. And I also read about naturally occurring antihistamine in food and noticed most primal foods I eat have it. So maybe I overdid it when I went primal. I continued having more rashes occur randomly all over my body and the allergist could not tell me what it was and gave up and 6.5 months later in Feb I am still finding red patches on myself.

On the prednisone, my son was graduating from middle school to high school and I put together a gluten free choc cake(he has celiac) with whipped creamand strawberries and for the first time in over a year and a half I had a piece of cakey dessert to celebrate. I never should have. I began dabbling in other desserts that were formerly off limits and I just didn't seem to care or have the strength to stop myself and my excercise began to lapse while I sulked and moped around the house feeling dread about my business and feeling unhappy about a slow, insidious weight gain.

So here I am in Febrary after about 10 failed attempts to go PB again. My journal doesn't seem to help because if I eat a bowl of pistachios, raisins, and dark choolate and finsih it off with one of my mother's homemade gluten free (for my celiac son) cream puffs, I just write it down in the journal and I feel defeated instead of shocked or horrified like in the past. I am back on track with excercise, making sure I do SOMETHING every day and I write down what it was. I can eat prinally just fine, but I can't seem to stop snacking on nuts and other primal snacks, or cheese, and I eat desserts now that I never would have touched.

It was very easy for me in the past and I don't know why now it seems so hard to stop doing what I really don't want to do. I feel very addicted to sugar and unable to control the cravings or urges. I will even get a few days under my belt and have something come along and I screw it up. At night I am bored stiff- there is nothing to do, I already worked all day and cleaned the house and at night there is nothing. Ive even been going to bed earlier because its that much less time I have to sit on the couch staring at the TV bored and craving sweets. I already worked out, how many workouts should I be doing in a day?

It just seems very hard and totally different this time. I have gained back 8 pounds and want to nip this in the bud before it gets worse. I hate sugar, I totaly despise it, why do I keep falling off the wagon and ingesting it???

Sharon (and JSL Dad): Have you read Dr. Kruse's latest blog on eating disorders? Very scientific and may take a while to get through, but most definitely worth a read.

I am a true binge-eater as well. I will, at night, drive to a convenience store to get a full box of ding-dongs, several candy bars, several ice cream bars, etc., and polish it off in one sitting. I have, at times, purged, but not to the point of being bulimic, only to ease the disgust I feel.

Following the LR has nipped all that, completely. I no longer even crave or desire any of the sugar. The desire....gone.

This is the funniest thing: My 50th Bday is coming up in March. I've been planning how I'm going to spend my day, including a spa visit, etc. One thing I've been planning is to take myself out for a really fabulous, super-rich, dessert type thing somewhere. I've been racking my brain to find the perfect dessert to indulge in. Well, I just figured out that my family is coming in to surprise me over the weekend (Bday is Thursday). I had to re-work my plan for my day, because I don't desire...yes, desire....two desserts in one week, and i know they'll get me a fabulous cake from a fabulous bakery. I mean, it didn't even occur to me that I'd be missing out on the perfect "excuse" to avoid the 2 desserts...I just don't want them. One will be plenty.
    5'2" Female
    Clean Paleo diet: Lots of CO, Meat, Seafood, and doing CT 5x/week, 40 mins @ 50-52 degrees F

Thanks, Pam.

What is LR?

I miss the lack of cravings I had when I was 100% Primal. They seem to be psychological in nature now which is troubling. I went 27 days no sugar after I fell off the wagon in the summer and was lured back through the upcoming holidays that seem to last from Halloween to New Years. That makes me feel hopeless- 27 days and I still went back? It did not feel like deprivation in the past but with an active urge and me physically have to resist and control this sugar craving it feels like either 1) deprivation or 2) Full Blown Addiction. I don't believe in the idea of deprivation- I believe that junk food is junk food, period, and happily avoiding it does not make someone deprived. So I think I am using food as a crutch and as a comfort during this insecurity phase with my business. When I felt fine, I seemed to diet fine as well. Now I don't feel so fine, and suddenly I am continuously stumbling with my food choices.

I will read that blog, thanks.

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Sharon - the cortisol (high stress) & prednisone are likely key to what pushed you over the edge. I personally believe the "repetition creates sensitivity" theory to be nonsense (with the exception of unnatural foods like modern hybridized wheat). It's hormones that drove you over. A 24hr salivary cortisol test and sex hormone panel would likely be very revealing for you.

You might want to look into natural steps to re-establish proper cortisol/circadian cycles, like first morning sun directly on the retina, big breakfast first thing, darkening house (and few or no blue lights) after sunset, sleeping in complete darkness, etc. Prednisone is definitely not the best answer to the rash, but I don't have any expertise as to what really is.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

The blog seems to be gone.

LR = Leptin Reset. It's in Dr. Kruse's blog which, it appears, is having an issue today, as it seems to be missing. Try again in a few hours, or tomorrow, to view his site. It's been binge-altering for me.
    5'2" Female

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast