Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Protein shakes or no shakes? page

Rattybag is offline Senior Member

Protein shakes or no shakes?

Primal Fuel
    Hello,
    Can I ask why there seems to be a lot of comments about ditching the protein shakes for people that are struggling to lose weight? I thought the low carb high protein shakes were good!
    If they wernt good, why is the shakes advertised on the side of the forum?
    Im new at this and a bit confused.
    Sorry to ask what might be obvious to others!
    Thank you.

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    The theory is that it is better to get your protein from real food. I'm sure that is true.

I actually use a whey isolate PP in order to reach my high protein goals. It works for me.

Some research says that whey PP raises blood sugar because its source is dairy.

jsa23 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    The theory is that it is better to get your protein from real food. I'm sure that is true.

I actually use a whey isolate PP in order to reach my high protein goals. It works for me.

Some research says that whey PP raises blood sugar because its source is dairy.
    With whey, it's not about a big blood sugar spike, but rather a hefty insulin spike - this is something that all products with dairy proteins tend to do. It's part of the reason why drinking protein shakes as meal replacements/snacks all day isn't a great idea, but having them immediately post-workout can be productive.

For me personally I use whey occasionally - mostly post-workout, when I want to eat something but don't take a lot of time to prepare. I also use fat-free, unsweetened Greek Yogurt for the same purpose some times - basically a high-protein, low-fat, low-carbohydrate food that I can add things(like fruit) to, for a quick snack. Yes, I know the discussion about fat-free vs. full fat; post-workout tends to be the exception where quick absorption works to our advantage.

I do agree in general that whole foods are better, due to the multitude of other critical nutrients you'll get from whole protein sources such as grassfed beef, good-quality seafood, etc.
    Last edited by jsa23; 02-05-2012 at 04:41 AM.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Real food is always better. It's Mark's forum so he advertises his product but his official line is that real food is better, primal fuel is just for unusual situations.

randamom is offline Junior Member
    I think protein shakes are fine, but you really need to get a good one, not one off the shelf at a grocery store. Watch what's in it, especially added fats and sugars. I order all my supplements from Prograde Nutrition (online). And I don't drink one every day, but I need to keep my protein up, so I use them, with unsweetened almond milk.

raptoryell is offline Senior Member
    I'm digging the Hemp Protein shakes with unsweetened almond milk.
    I usually only drink this in the morning if I don't have time for breakfast.
    Primal (2013)
    Locavore (locally grown foods when possible)
    Training consists of Muay Thai, BJJ, weight training, and mountain biking

Would like to be in good shape by my 36th Birthday (07-07-2013)

Devilbass is offline Junior Member
    I've been wondering about this myself. I use shakes because I find it generally impossible to eat enough protein otherwise. I'm just never hungry enough in a day to eat that much meat or eggs, or foo din general. maybe once I start training a little harder that won't be the case, but as it stands now, I just can't eat that much.

mrsamke is offline Junior Member
    I'm wondering too. I'm not a big breakfast person. I'm always busy with kids in am, I'd like something quick like shakes.

Tealia is offline Senior Member
    Just like cheese, fruit, or nuts, you may find that protein shakes may or may not work for you.
    I have a mild intolerance to fruit (fructose malasorption, makes me bloated), but I don't have any bad effects when I consume whey protein or cheese.

If your body agrees with it, and it works with your lifestyle, go for it!

In fact, I had a yummy breakfast shake this morning with two scoops of whey, the juice of a whole lemon, berries, and coconut milk.
    There aren't many problems in life that can't be solved by sleeping it off, or adding more butter.

Go Tribe is offline Senior Member
    Fat Shake:

8 oz heavy cream
    8 oz Unsweetened Almond Milk
    25 gm sugar-free whey protein
    2 or 3 frozen strawberries.

Blend and drink
    Started 9/15/11 at 323 pounds
    2/16/13 at 241 pounds
    Goal is 223 pounds or less

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast