Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New/Weight loss/Help with diet page

dallytante is offline Member

New/Weight loss/Help with diet

Primal Fuel
    hi everyone.

i'm new and was wondering whether you could help me a weight loss question.

i tried a 30 day raw vegan, but toward the last few days, switched to atkins because i founded myself bingeing on sugars (dates)/dates. i don't like to be obsessed and thought i was gaining.

however, these five days on atkins-style haven't been great, either. i have eaten too many nuts and in the past few days, too much cheese. even when i hide the nuts in the house, i end up feeling unsatisfied without them.

i'm feeling at a wits end, caught in a cycle now of gaining while trying to lose and becoming increasingly concerned about it.

i should add: i don't eat meat for fish. meat is problematic bc i'm a natural vegetarian, don't like handling it, and the only kind of meat i would eat would be free range, hormone free, kosher chicken/beef, and even then. let's just say meat is not an option, nor is fish (with the exception of canned tuna if necessary). i'd rather not go the soy route.

ok, now for the stats: i am female, 30, 5'6" and am 137 trying to get to 120-125. exercise a few times per week, mixture of weighs, interval training, and cardio.

primalkyle is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dallytante View Post
    ...i have eaten too many nuts and in the past few days, too much cheese. even when i hide the nuts in the house, i end up feeling unsatisfied without them...i don't eat meat for fish...the only kind of meat i would eat would be free range, hormone free, kosher chicken/beef, and even then...meat is not an option, nor is fish (with the exception of canned tuna if necessary)...
    Can you clarify what you will eat?

in theory, all veggies/fruit, dairy, canned tuna, all forms of nuts. if need be, i could eat grains and quinoa, too, but these aren't supported on the primal plan. not such a fan of legumes.

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    I think you are going to struggle unless you add meats, more fishes or eggs. Primal doesn't include legumes or grains and dairy is limited. It's about eating meats, the accompanying fats and fruits and veggies. The fats from the meats are what satisfy you.

I was a veg for a long time and can not imagine being happy for long being a primal veg who only eats can tuna. It's kind of like being vegetarian and the only veggie you will eat is cucumber, but you will eat beef, chicken and pork.....

Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    I think you are going to struggle unless you add meats, more fishes or eggs. Primal doesn't include legumes or grains and dairy is limited. It's about eating meats, the accompanying fats and fruits and veggies. The fats from the meats are what satisfy you.

I was a veg for a long time and can not imagine being happy for long being a primal veg who only eats can tuna. It's kind of like being vegetarian and the only veggie you will eat is cucumber, but you will eat beef, chicken and pork.....
    that's grim--there are no vegetarian primal ppl here? i did read a few of the articles, but most tended to be targeted toward vegetarians who were veg for moral reasons. truth me told, i've had an aversion to eating flesh since i was a kid. it can taste great, sure, but it's not worth the moral angst that comes with it. even if i did turn to meats, organic kosher meat is so expensive and not available in my area.

i suppose non-gmo, sprouted tofu would out the question?

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dallytante View Post
    that's grim--there are no vegetarian primal ppl here? i did read a few of the articles, but most tended to be targeted toward vegetarians who were veg for moral reasons. truth me told, i've had an aversion to eating flesh since i was a kid. it can taste great, sure, but it's not worth the moral angst that comes with it. even if i did turn to meats, organic kosher meat is so expensive and not available in my area.

i suppose non-gmo, sprouted tofu would out the question?
    More animals die for that tofu than meat. Do you think those soy beans are hand picked? The combines kill all manner of animals.

You get be a vegetarian primal, but it's not ideal and you'll have to be very careful.

i'm not saying veg is more virtuous. the company that produces that tofu that i buy (and RARELY eat) is actually the only one of its kind in the u.s. small, family own. given that it's non-gmo and sprouted, it would have to be! it's not something that i generally eat, tho.

my question is not ideological, it's pragmatic. and the pragmatic answer seems to be "eat meat, or don't be primal," which is too bad. perhaps i'm misunderstanding something?

the original question, however, had to do with weight loss.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Without eating animal products you're going to have a lot of issues with staying healthy. Where do you stand on eggs?

You can fill in gaps with dairy, but it's really not ideal.

This is basically what Primal Blueprint is:
    Introducing the New Primal Blueprint Food Pyramid | Mark's Daily Apple

Outside of that, I believe you're going to have a very difficult time.

IMHO... weight loss is moot if you're not healthy, and FWIW, it seems to be the pattern that when you're healthy, weight loss is not as difficult.

activia is offline Senior Member
    Wait you guys are forgetting..

Try using loads of COCONUT oil!! You can get some great fats in there. Have you tried animal fats by themselves? You might find the taste rather delicous even tho they come from an animal because they aren't fleshy at all. Make sure you get high quality, you need to look up local farms and get grassfed or go to uswellness.com and order it from them.

Local Harvest / Farmers Markets / Family Farms / CSA / Organic Food

What about fresh fish?? There are loads of different fish you can eat, as well as fatty fish like salmon. Some people make this the basis of their diet.

About your cravings, you are craving starches and sugar, everyone goes thru it. Stay tough..make a true 30 day commitment and those cravings will pass..cheat and they won't.
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

activia is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Tofu is probably one of the worst things you can eat for your health in my opinion.
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast