Thread: What to eat on day of and before a sports match page

The Superwag is offline Junior Member

Cool What to eat on day of and before a sports match

Shop Now
    I really love team sport. In Australia, I play netball, and I like to get out there feeling pumped and aggressive. I want to feel great and play like a bull for a full hour nonstop.

Before going primal, I would rev myself up on game morning with a massive bowl of porridge and banana; then chicken snitzel and mayo at lunch, and then a big can of Mother that afternoon before the game.

Since going primal and quitting the carbs, I have replaced my can of Mother with a big coconut, and stuck to a big protein breakfast and fatty lunch instead. I am sugar-free... but I guess if I needed a bit of a lift before the game I might have a headful of grapes instead of my previous need to down some jelly beans.

Can you fellow super hero athletes please give some suggestions or ideas about what foods and drinks you use to rev yourselves up and give yourselves plenty of natural energy before a sports match?

Especially to get over that 'tired' feeling you get sitting behind a desk at work all day too!

Thanks heaps!

jsa23 is offline Senior Member
    I generally don't eat for the few hours immediately preceding a competition - I find that I feel lighter and faster when I'm on an empty/nearly-empty stomach, and I don't have to worry about my body protesting when I go to compete. Prior to that, I'd suggest eating whatever makes you feel best.

For the record, my experience is that the above applied pretty well to just about any sport - primarily tennis in my case, but also swimming/running/biking at any kind of significant intensity. Generally eating too much in the hours before competition would leave me feeling heavy and sluggish - or at least this was the case when I was playing tennis competitively in the past. During the event itself water was generally sufficient - though for longer events something with a little actual nutrition might be helpful.

federkeil is offline Senior Member
    Nothing before and normal food during the day, no energy problems
    I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

Karen Grok is offline Junior Member
    Id just cut out all carbs a week before and use more caffeine to get thru any energy slumps. Grok didnt have carbs to power on. Focus on eating higher fat so you can burn more fat.