Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: bean substitutes iin chili page

mosin46 is offline Senior Member

bean substitutes iin chili

Primal Fuel
    any ideas for bean replacement in chili recipies? or just leave that part out? haven't tried either yet and am thinking that the beans add something to the overall recipe that might be replaceable with something else more "primal correct".

HillsideGina is offline Senior Member
    Just leave it out and have meat chili. If you feel the need for something else, add veggies like cubed potato, turnip, daikon radish or pieces of cauliflower.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Skip them. Beans are just filler anyhow.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Listen, pardner, real chili don't have no beans!

Hehe. When I have chili, I put in beans. They are perfectly good food.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

pjgh is offline Senior Member
    Small cubes of coloured peppers (capsicum) tossed in about half an hour from the end of cooking, or the outer centimeter of aubergine, cut into cubes. This gives some of the appearance of red kidney beans and some of the filler texture.

... or just leave them out. No substitution.

Foxmane is offline Junior Member
    Personally, I use cannellini beans in chili, only one can for a whole pot of chili otherwise laden with tomatoes and beef heart. I've not looked into the nutritive content versus other legumes, but they are easy on my digestion and are deliciously creamy after being simmered for hours. I am not one of those who thinks beans are simply a filler, nor am I one who believes a chili should contain no beans, but to excess in a chili, I will agree that they are pointless.
    I'm a food scientist by trade, a writer and a cook by hobby, and stranded in the Midwest by choice.

The best thing about the Internet is that you can't be sure I'm not a unicorn.

jsa23 is offline Senior Member
    I used lots of chopped vegetables(red/green bell peppers, onions), as well as some squash the last time I made chili. The results were pretty good.

The recipe I used was basically a modified version of the following link(squash instead of pumpkin, more bell peppers/onions, beef instead of elk, no chocolate chips). I think I may use it again the next time I make chili, just varying the meat and vegetables a bit to see how it works.

Elk Chipotle Chocolate Chili | PaleOMG - Paleo Recipe
    Last edited by jsa23; 02-05-2012 at 06:39 AM.

emel is offline Junior Member
    Chopped up mushrooms and zucchini and red peppers make a good substitute for beans.

Another thing that's good is to make meat chili and then add some shredded cabbage. Kind of like chili mac.

Karate Lisa is offline Senior Member
    More meat !
    "You can always do more than you think you can !" Sensei Scash

SeanM is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Bacon.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast