Thread: Is it real or just my imagination? page

MyDogTuff is offline Junior Member

Is it real or just my imagination?

Primal Fuel
    So, I haven't had grains/sugar/processed foods for about a month. Today, for some reason, I ate half of a pierogi. It was a sauerkraut and mushroom one. I was thinking now potatoes. It might be okay. We haven't had pierogis in years and I was curious by the combination. About two hours later, I felt sick to my stomach and generally blah.

Now I am wondering if it was really the pierogi that caused the reaction or just my mind playing tricks with me. Any thoughts? it really does not seem like it was that much that could cause a reaction. Really, the dough...they were homemade at a local butchers, no preservatives, etc.

If it was truly a reaction to the pierogi, I guess I learned an important lesson. Hubby said he wasn't going to let me try another thing like that, which I guess is a good thing. I am just trying to see if it is even possible to react to half a pierogi.

I guess i could be over thinking this, eh?

jammies is offline Senior Member
    If you are very sensitive to gluten, then you could have reacted to that small amount.

I did find in the first months of going primal I reacted very strongly to the foods I had given up. However, after about a year I noticed that effect was gone. Now I can eat small of amounts of most foods without too much trouble. I still have foods I feel better without - but I don't have to be super careful.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

HillsideGina is offline Senior Member
    Both my husband and I now feel unwell after eating anything non-primal, like a restaurant meal laden with sugary or oily sauce.

patski is offline Senior Member
    I feel pretty icky when I eat anything 'non-primal'. Sweets especially.

I'm Polish - pierogi's are a serious delight, smothered with butter and bacon fat! (Isn't it funny that starch is really only tasty when smothered in fat?)

But yes, you could have reacted to that small amount of gluten, if you are particularly sensitive.

PS. Sauerkraut and mushroom pierogies are DELISH!

ShannonPA-S is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    If you are very sensitive to gluten, then you could have reacted to that small amount.

I did find in the first months of going primal I reacted very strongly to the foods I had given up. However, after about a year I noticed that effect was gone. Now I can eat small of amounts of most foods without too much trouble. I still have foods I feel better without - but I don't have to be super careful.
    I was this way too, I guess for about a year. Now I can eat most foods without digestive upset. But I remember the first time I decided mushroom ravioli was a good idea after being gluten-free for a couple months. OMG. You can bet I didn't try it again for at least a year. I've only had it twice since (it used to be one of my favorite foods), but no reaction at all. Being pregnant right now, I had some cravings for sourdough bread and, although bread used to give me weird palpitations, it no longer does.

Although some people would say thinking about it would make the reaction worse, you could still be reacting to it.

Bamboozel is offline Senior Member
    I ate some thai food from a market here yesterday and almost immediately afterwards felt bloated, lethargic, cranky. Later in the evening I had an upset stomach. Now, I have eaten thai food in other places and not had a reaction, but this time we got a dish with rice noodles and all of them probably had high amounts of msg, sugar & even thickened sauces with cornflour. /shrugs. Makes me not want to eat any of those dishes again, even if it was just in my mind!

JazzWorthy is offline Member
    I used to measure my blood sugar after meals that I wasn't sure were gonna be bad for me, but I've stopped because I can tell immediately when something spiked my blood sugar, or had something non-primal in it. I get a distinctive crappy feeling that I can't even explain, but I know right away it means I just ate something with hidden garbage in it.
    There is a pleasure in the pathless woods,
    There is a rapture on the lonely shore,
    There is society, where none intrudes,
    By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
    I love not man the less, but Nature more...
    ~Lord Byron

Bettie is offline Senior Member
    i was wheat free for about a month and then i had a small plate of Italian pasta. felt sick all day. i will have an other try, in 3 months ( i will stay wheat free for that time) iam in Italy for a holiday and iam sure i will have some pasta there... see what happens. i was tested for gluten intolerance: negative (but i don't really believe in that test, to be honest)

7/14: 156 lbs.
    weight in's:

7/17: 153.5 lbs.
    7/18: 152.5 lbs.

goalweight: 130 lbs.