Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Last bit of STUBBORN STOMACH FAT wont go away page

kbags5 is offline Junior Member

Last bit of STUBBORN STOMACH FAT wont go away

My question is in regards to the last bit of stubborn stomach fat that wont go away. Im 8-9% bf and My 6pack is there when I flex but when i dont you can barely see the outlining of the abs. I can also grab a good amount of fat when not flexed. This has been a problem before I tried eating the PB style for awhile now. I have been eating PB style for about 3 months now with some inconsistencies but 1 month consistent now.

Little about me - I'm a 22 yr old male. 180 lbs, 6ft tall. I do powerlifting workouts 4x a week and sprint HIIT style 1x a week. I also include lots of walking throughout the week as well.
    Eating around 2600 calories at 180-200 protein / 80-150 carbs ( depending on workout days or not) / the rest fat 160-200+

any feedback would be much appreciated. If what I eat can help you then Id be glad to tell.

shema is offline Senior Member
    Hi - Sounds like you're in great shape even if the 6pack isn't fully visible just yet. I'd be interested in hearing what others have to say although I have to wonder if perhaps you should lower the carbs a bit. Not sure though so I'm sure others will have good input. Can you share what sources your carbs are coming from i.e. fruit, tubers, etc?

Jamie Madrox is offline Senior Member
    try taking your carbs lower for a week or two. see how that does.

bdilla is offline Senior Member
    Lots of things can cause this... stress, iodine deficiency, allergies to certain foods, dairy and nuts can be huge inhibitors to fat loss for some people, and also carbs. try taking carbs down to under 50g for two weeks and see if you notice any difference
    this great blue world of ours seems a house of leaves, moments before the wind

Jmb
    Jmb is offline Junior Member
    You might be trying too hard to see your abs. It is pretty difficult regardless of what you do/eat to walk around with a bulging 6 pack all the time. Take a look at some of the pioneers of fitness and strongman training, like Eugene Sandow. They defined the classic bodybuilder technique and their abs are not super defined. Instead, they are extremely strong and efficient - not just bulk.

With that said, you didn't mention how you are training your abs. Seeing your abs has to come from diet but if your bf really is at 8% then you should have a decent 6 pack right now. Adding heavy resistance situps might add bulk that will be what you want later on.

kbags5 is offline Junior Member
    I get my carb sources from sweet potatoes post workout and a couple servings of fruit a day as well (the fruit could also be a problem). I dont train abs because i dont believe in training them because from all the heavy squatting and other lifts they get worked out hard. Im not worried about the trying too hard to see my abs, I'm talking about the stubborn belly fat that wont go away no matter what I do but it seems like I could try and keep carbs under 50 for a few weeks and see how that goes.

stevew is offline Member
    Are you taking rest weeks every so often? I know that can sound counter-intuitive but you need that every now and then for full recovery, and personally I think to prevent your body from upping its cortisol levels to sustain high intensity training over a long period of time. Also how much fluid are you taking in a day?

Heavy squatting and other power lifts are great for your 'core' so you'll develop good TVA, oblique, erector spinae and paraspinal muscle strength, but I'm not sure how much rectus abdominus gets hit in those exercises. If you really want rectus abd to poke through you might want to add a few 'ab' exercises in. I don't necessarily mean sit ups, for example I find zercher squats rather than back squats hit my abs more and I see it as a much more functional exercise.

kitoi is offline Senior Member
    Only way to rid yourself of that 'stubborn' belly fat is through diet, training alone will not do it. Lower your calorie intake, creating a deficit so your body can tap into stored BF for energy.

L8F
    L8F is offline Senior Member
    How's your sleep? Cortisol can be a big thing in belly fat/fat. Dark room, no lights, nice full 8 hours?
    Started Whole30 December 31, 2011
    Integrated Leptin Reset/Jack Kruse plan Jan 13, 2012
    Starting Weight: 174.8
    CW:160.0 lbs

ttwagneriii is offline Junior Member
    Go check out Leangains.com. Basically, daily intermittent fasting(IF) and heavy lifting 3x/week. The IF sounds intimidating, but funtionally all you are doing is skipping breakfast. He doesn't give specific macros, but you go very heavy on the protein and reduce carbs by 20% on rest days. Also, I work out fasted, which was hard initially, until I started taking 10g of branched chain amino acids and 5g of creatine 10 minutes prior to the session. The core exercises are done using a reverse pyramid training and always add weight or a rep. On the site, the "guide" section is confusing but I found a very good summary here: LeanGains FAQ SolOrwell.com. You can do this can stay Paleo. Good luck!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." Yoda.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast