Thread: new with questions page

resdog830 is offline Junior Member

new with questions

I had a great two weeks starting out. Now I'm struggling with cravings - is this low seratonin?

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    Its probably you just craving foods that are "forbidden." It is very common.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Welcome!

What are you eating? Are you getting plenty of fat?
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    You can't know for sure until you find out how many calories you were eating before, and how many you're eating now.

resdog830 is offline Junior Member
    Thanks. I wanted to start this so I didn't have to track calories - I'm terrible at that. I've up'd protein a bit, seem to not be as dizzy but I still really want sweets or chips at night.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    "Cravings are head hunger. You want things you're used to having, and once you think about them, you create an appetite for them.

The solution to all head hunger is to distract yourself and not dwell on these items. The rule of thumb is if you think you're hungry, eat a hard-boiled egg. If you don't want that, then it's pure head hunger, and you should ignore it.

Is it easy? No. And only the individual can find a solution, but keep in mind that the longer you think about it, the more you'll want it.

Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by resdog830 View Post
    Thanks. I wanted to start this so I didn't have to track calories - I'm terrible at that. I've up'd protein a bit, seem to not be as dizzy but I still really want sweets or chips at night.
    Definitely count your calories in this case. Your cravings might just be your body telling you to EAT!

When I started primal, I unknowingly was eating a lot less calories than before. This lead to what I believed to be cravings for junk food. So I bought a jug of coconut oil and now I put it on vegetables, meats, you name it. I still eat some fruits and white rice though, which I see as relatively "good carbs".

@lex is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    It could be your body telling you that you aren't getting enough calories or that it wants some more carbs/fat. My advice would be to listen to it and give it what it wants. I had similar symptoms from cutting carbs way down, and I just added some back in from sources like root veggies and white rice and now I feel much better and my workouts are no longer impacted negatively.