Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal fitness theory versus 12 Weeks to BUD/S page

LonghornGrif is offline Junior Member

Primal fitness theory versus 12 Weeks to BUD/S

Shop Now
    Before I get to my question / problem; I would like to provide some background information first. I am a Air Force pilot. Through my numerous deployments and the unique physiological demands, I am now "blessed" with a couple of herniated discs. I am also a fitness nut. I have been through Pavel Tsatlouine's (spelling?) various kettlebell programs, one run so far through P90X, and I have completed Stew Smith's 12 Weeks to BUD/S once so far. I have never dieted, never cared or thought about what I eat. Then came marriage and two kids. From Thanksgiving to New Years of this year, I did nott workout and I ate to my heart's content. The last three years I have been plagued with health issues and the last two months have seen a spike in health concerns. So my wife and I did some research and we decided together that we are going to change our way of living and follow the Primal Blueprint. We have been doing it for about a week now and the lack of carbs is killing me (but I have been a good boy). I am still reading through the books that we bought, but it appears that the "fitness" regime discussed in the books is very benign compared to what I am doing. I am in the middle of week three of the "beginners" portion of 12 Weeks to BUD/s. It is my intent to complete the whole program and I do LOVE it.

All that being said, here are my questions:
    1.) I seem to be in a perpetual state of hunger of various degrees depending on whenever I ate last. Is that normal? Should I be consuming more food?
    2.) I am not going to be able to follow the Primal Blueprint fitness concept. I a going to stay with 12 Weeks to BUD/S and I am curious how I should alter my diet (if I shoould at all)?

Nash is offline Junior Member
    I have Stew Smith's books and I've completed the 12 weeks to BUDS and I will say that the calorie expenditure is off the charts. You will probably have to eat more carbohydrates while on this program.
    "So things didn't go our way today. That's what tomorrow is for."
    -Anonymous

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LonghornGrif View Post
    All that being said, here are my questions:
    1.) I seem to be in a perpetual state of hunger of various degrees depending on whenever I ate last. Is that normal? Should I be consuming more food?
    2.) I am not going to be able to follow the Primal Blueprint fitness concept. I a going to stay with 12 Weeks to BUD/S and I am curious how I should alter my diet (if I shoould at all)?
    1. Eat more. Not more often, just more. Full meals, 1-3 times per day. That's all.
    2. Why can't you do PBF? (Long sarcastic paragraph deleted here.) Read up on recovery time, and how it benefits you. Body by Science has a pretty good explanation of it. Even the PBF e-book explains what overtraining will do to you.

Finally, add more carbs, if that is what your body needs.

dado Guest
    i can't do this anymore.

if you can't tell me problem, ask me question, in 25 words or less, i can't help you son.

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dado View Post
    i can't do this anymore.

if you can't tell me problem, ask me question, in 25 words or less, i can't help you son.
    Aren't you just gonna say "go squat" anyway?

dado Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Palfrey View Post
    Aren't you just gonna say "go squat" anyway?
    hahahaha, this is true, coach!

Quote Originally Posted by Nash View Post
    I have Stew Smith's books and I've completed the 12 weeks to BUDS and I will say that the calorie expenditure is off the charts. You will probably have to eat more carbohydrates while on this program.
    That has been my experience so far though I have been able to successfully stay away from carbs and stuff myself from the "approved" list of items on the Primal Blueprint. Good to seee that someone else has experienced this and I appreciate the response.

Wow, great insight. That was extremely helpful. I am so glad you took the time to answer....wait...

Quote Originally Posted by jfreaksho View Post
    1. Eat more. Not more often, just more. Full meals, 1-3 times per day. That's all.
    2. Why can't you do PBF? (Long sarcastic paragraph deleted here.) Read up on recovery time, and how it benefits you. Body by Science has a pretty good explanation of it. Even the PBF e-book explains what overtraining will do to you.

Finally, add more carbs, if that is what your body needs.
    Thanks for the response. I will take a look at the book you recommended. I cannot do the PBF because it will not prepare me physically for the PT tests I am currently required to do with the military nor prepare my body for the extra PT requirements that will be required of me when I apply for a position in AFSOC.

bryanccfshr is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I am going to give some unsolicited advice. I was a 300 PFT scorer consistantly in the Marine Corps. (That means I ran 3 miles under 18 minutes, performed 20 pullups, and 80 sit ups in under 2 minutes. ) I was able to due this by hitting the pullup bar and the weight room consistantly ontop of the daily pt(we would run 3-10 miles a day, calisthenics or hump for 10-30 miles most fridays. Ontop of that I spent a couple of weeks a month in the field Combat patroling and living out in the weather.
    As PFT time approached I simply added a timed 3 mile run to my weekly reutine to benchmark where I was and let my weight come down to 172(normally I was 176-182 in my early 20's).
    The best preparation is to develop a sense of humor and patience. Don't get hurt, never let anyone see you slacking(physical exeptionalism just drives up expectations. Remember a weak applicant who puts out has a better shot than a strong one who breezes through. It's more about displaying persaverance unders stress and pain than it is about being the best athlete.

Military PT is more about mental toughness than physical excptionalism. Being able to tolerate long hours of marches , pack runs , hours in a pool to gain water qualifications etc. It's all about being able to tolerate exhaustion and respond when asked for more. It requires you to be confident that you can indeed do it.
    There were few things you can do to prepare for these exertions. You need to be well rested when the demand begins and get rest as soon as possible when it is over because you never know when more is going to be demanded of you.

Best of luck in your pursuits.
    Integrity is what we do when nobody's watching.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast