Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whisky okay? page

pf3
    pf3 is offline Member

Whisky okay?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Will a few sips of whisky every evening have adverse effects on my primal diet?

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Definitive Guide to Alcohol on a Low Carb Diet | Mark's Daily Apple

I hate wine... I love GOOD Bourbon.
    Good aged dark spirits are second only to red wine on Mark's list... and since we have recently discovered that the entire "red wine/resveratol" bit was falsified ( Red wine researcher Dr. Dipak K. Das published fake data: UConn - HealthPop - CBS News ), I'm thinking that my Premium Bourbon is now TOPS!

Moderation though... I think the impact a drink every night will have depends on your goals. Alcohol is burned first and foremost once ingested. If weight loss is a concern you might want to cut back to one or two drinks a week. If you are not seeking weight loss... a drink a day is fine in my book.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

pf3
    pf3 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    If weight loss is a concern you might want to cut back to one or two drinks a week. If you are not seeking weight loss... a drink a day is fine in my book.
    Why would whisky interfere with weight loss? It has no carbs, no nothing...

touchdowntodd is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pf3 View Post
    body burns it before burning anything else ... hence slowing the burning of the existing and ingested fat, calories, carbs, etc ...
    started at 310 July 23rd 2011 ... workin and workin!

my journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread34980.html

If you read my post you would note that I said this "Alcohol is burned first and foremost once ingested."

Bourbon, which is my preference as long as it's the really good stuff... or even premium dark rum, has about 70 cal per oz. No, it's not carbs but those calories don't come from "nothing" either. Alcohol gets top billing in the "burn it" line up over even sugar/glucose, so it WILL have an effect.
    As long as you are aware for that effect and account for it... no problem most likely. But if it is weight loss you seek you may indeed need to not drink the whiskey every single evening.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche

cave-e8r is offline Member
    I drink a glass or two of scotch just about every night, occasionally, red wine instead (once or twice a month), and I'm losing weight pretty effortlessly. I'd say, enjoy.

Yeah... definitely one of those issues that will affect some people more than others.

I always said "might"/"may" need to reduce the consumption. The whole YMMV thing.

As an almost 40y/o woman... *sigh* ... I don't get to play like the boys.
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    If you enjoy it and making gains you want then go for it.
    Is it paleo? - no. Is it the healthiest thing you will even ingest? NO. Will your body be better without it? Probably but life is about choices and a moderate amount will probably not make much of a difference to the quality of your life and might enhance your enjoyment. I want a wee nip of Islay Scotch now....lol.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    How would drinking something change the rest of your diet?

It will have "adverse" effects on your health, whether you notice it or not.

deepglades is offline Senior Member
    Will a few sips of whisky every evening have adverse effects on my primal diet?
    Absolutely not.

"People ask my why I get drunk all the time, it levels my head and eases my mind." - Bob Dylan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast