Thread: Would this be considered sprinting? page

beckinwolf is offline Member

Shop Now

I've never done any kind of sprinting before, so its totally new to me. I've read the PB book, so I know what to do, but I just want to make sure that I'm doing it right. I work the usual 8-5 job, so I have to do my exercising after work. When it gets lighter and warmer out, I'll be working out, outside, but for now, I'm in the gym. What I've been doing is I'll warm up on the treadmill walking for 10 mintutes at 3.0 MPH with no incline. Then I bump it up to 4 MPH and incline 10%. This might not sound like a lot, but to me, its as fast as I can go. I'm currently around 200, 5'4", large frame, basically built like a brick-outhouse, as the phrase goes. Anyway, I've been "sprinting" at this rate, 4MPH/10%. What I do is I do this for 1 minute, then walk at 2MPH, no incline, for another minute, then do the sprint for the next minute, and so on for about 10 minutes. My pulserate gets up around 160, which is pretty darn high for me. I think its about 80-85% of my maximum heart rate. Does this sound like sprinting? It might sound like a silly question, but I've never done this before, so just double-checking.

Carpe Diem!

Trau is offline Junior Member

I'd say your speed isn't as crucial as your heart rate. That's what interval training is all about. As you get more accustomed to sprinting, you'll notice your speed will have to go up a bit (to an eventual plateau) to keep your heart in the same range.

gloinchin is offline Junior Member

160 bpm is not high enough to be considered HIIT. You have to go 180+ bpm. I do not think a treadmill is suitable for HIIT. You should try to go outside and then sprint for as fast you can for 20-30 seconds, then rest, repeat.

PR's:

800m: 2:22
    Mile: 4:56
    10K: 38:55
    Half-Marathon: 1:26:23

AlanBradin is offline Junior Member

Ideally, your sprints should have you at 90% of your max heart rate. Your max heart rate can roughly be calculated as 220 - your age. However, this is for an individual of average health. Extra weight, smoking, heart complications, genetics can change this.

A good measure of whether you're sprinting or not is if you could not answer a question if asked of you, even a yes or no question. You are using 100% of your concentration to move your legs as quickly as possible. That's a good measure for a sprint.

I would start slow and increase the intensity. Crawl before walk and such.

Chunster495 is offline Member

Sounds like you have to basics down... as you get better at sprinting, I'd suggest you increase your speed so that you're only able to run for about 15-30 secs, and then jump off to the sides of the treadmill and adjust the treadmill down to recover and repeat... It'll be more sprint like...

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member

Try "sprinting" on a bike to start. You can really crank it out without fear of falling off.

beckinwolf is offline Member

Thanks for the tips guys. I figured I was on the right track. I will definitely be out there when it gets later in the year. Give me a month and I'll be sprinting up the high school bleachers!

Carpe Diem!