Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beef broth page

ShannonCC is offline Senior Member

Beef broth

Primal Fuel
    Talk to me

I have chicken stock down pat but am trying my first beef broth.

Question one - what the heck is the difference between stock and broth? I just realized I keep using both

Anyway, when I tried to make chicken stock with vinegar it tasted horrible to me. I know a lot of people do it but even following different recipes, I couldn't stand the taste. So I make my chicken stock without and finally am happy with how it turns out. I'm now making beef broth without vinegar since I figure it will be the same and I don't want to throw out a whole batch like I did with the chicken (blargh).

So question two - are there actual nutritional comparisons out there as to how many minerals are in bone broth if you use vinegar vs not? Just curious as to how much better it would be for me (though, if I won't eat it, it won't do bupkiss or if it's just one of those things that "everyone knows" but no one every confirmed. )

And the final question - does it matter what bones you use? I found beef neck bones in the store and figured that would be a good mix of meat and bone. I was going to get tail and woa, the price! Then I saw the meaty neckbones for less than half the price per pound so I went for that. Does what part of the cow you use change the taste or will it all taste like beef?

jguyc is offline Member
    1. Broth is usually made from meat, no bones, is milder in flavor
    2. Vinegar helps for getting the calcium out of the bones, use about 1/2 cup vinegar to 4 quarts water
    3. all bones work great, especially if you can get grassfed beef bones

nourishing tradition by sally fallon is a great book on stocks and broths

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Necks are fine... but don't be afraid to ask the butcher for bones.
    Cultivating a friendly relationship with a butcher is an all around good idea. He may give them to you for free even, but if not they are bound to be cheaper than anything already wrapped for sale in the case. If you can be choosy ask for joint bones or parts with tendons... meat on the bones isn't necessary for stock or bone broth. If he is going to give you huge big long bones ask him to cut them shorter so they all fit in the pot better.

Also, use plenty of bones in the pot. And roast them until brown first, or at least brown them stove top... much better flavor.
    If you can get feet, never be afraid of feet... they will make wonderful really well gelled stock.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

thyme is offline Member
    No difference between broth and stock--just different terminology. Bones add the gelatin, minerals, mouthfeel, meat adds taste, rounds it out a bit. I usually add scraps of cheap meat to my beef stock.
    If you don't like the vinegar--I don't either--you can also use a dash of wine--red works well in beef--or some tomatoes or tomato paste. Both wine and tomatoes add acidity to your stock, which helps dissolve the bones, but wine and tomatoes also add actual flavor to your stock, which vinegar doesn't do.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    + 100 on the wine.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Thanks all! I made it before I got all the answers. It seemed to come out good. It's like beef jello Now I have to make soup with it and see how I like it.

So I cooked a soup with it. Eh. It gelled nicely and I'm sure it's healthy, but it tastes like weakly meat flavored water. I browned the bones on the stovetop but I guess next time I'll try roasting since a lot of people seem to do that.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Yep, I roast my bones. You also want plenty of spices and sacrificial veggies to cook with your bones, and a lot of bones, basically water should cover them, not be to excess.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Did you add plenty of salt to the soup? Salt brings out the meaty flavor for sure.

beastie is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    Did you add plenty of salt to the soup? Salt brings out the meaty flavor for sure.
    Or add some seaweed into the stockpot as you're making it - also helps with saltiness.
    Primal cookery, forgotten skills, natural birth
    www.forgottendomesticarts.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast