Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vibram Fivefinger Fit page

leonardotmnt is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

My girlfriend and I both just got home from REI after a lengthy Vibram fitting. We both waffled back and forth between sizes with the reason being that both of us felt our foot right below the toes was cramped width-wise when the shoe fit our toes well. We both finally decided to go a size up.

When we got home she noticed that her heel was forward a decent bit (about 1/4"). Now she's thinking that these may be too long for her. She got the Sprints if it makes a difference.

Anyone have any personal experience with this? Would it be better for her to keep the ones that are a little longer and also put less pressure on the sides of her foot or might it be better to get the tighter ones? Just how snug do you guys have them fitting?

Trau is offline Junior Member

The fella at the shoe store told me it's better to be a little loose than too tight. Mine are a tiny bit long, but cinched up they feel great. I'd wear them for a few days and hold on to your receipt. REI takes ANYTHING back.

Lolly is offline Member

My heel sits forward in my Sprints as well but my toes feel great. i prefer the heel room over having jammed up toes. I've lost toenails before from traditional running shoes that were supposedly sized correctly for my feet so i am always cautious about fit being too tight. every once in a while during heavy activity, i have to retighten the heel straps, but no biggie. i also appreciate the extra room when i wear injinjis with them.

Timothy is offline Senior Member

I'd say go for the looser fit. I took a chance by ordering mine off the Vibram web site, but they were out of the size that corresponded to my foot length, so I bought one size up. A good thing too because I soon found that my toes are longer than the stubby little pseudopods that Vibram apparently considers normal for Homo Sapiens.

Even with the bigger size and a bit of room in the heel, after a few hours of wear, my toes start feeling jammed. I also have to keep my toenails clipped very short.

Even so, Vibrams are the most comfortable footwear I've ever worn. I wear them around town without a twinge of self-consciousness. If only they made a dress shoe I could wear to the office...

buffalo is offline Junior Member

I've got two pairs of five fingers, one a tighter fit, the other one a looser fit. Getting the size just right can be tricky, given the nature of the shoe, but the looser fit is preferable for sure. The tighter fit impedes the flex of the foot arch slightly, so that they're slightly less comfortable for longer treks. You can adjust the little straps in the back, I just cinch up the looser ones as much as possible and after wearing them for a few days you don't really notice a small bit of looseness ... it's not like the shoe is going to fall-off, or that there is a heavy wall like a traditional shoe for blisters to form.

onesekzimama is offline Junior Member

i am the girlfriend.

thanks for the tips! i have been wearing them since we got home (which was around 2:30 or so) and haven't noticed the space at my heel.

everyone's responses made me feel a thousand times better. thanks!

JStrick is offline Senior Member

I was having a different problem, either the big toe was tight or the little toe was tight. In the end i went for the Big toe tightness because it was easier to actually get my foot in the shoe in the first place(my toes were really squished from shoes at the time) I have noticed a significant amount of stretching with the rubber, so now i can put them on without too much work and none of my toes get sore. I wear KSO btw, which i love!

bergster1010 Guest

Just got back from the store with my first pair of vibrams! KSO's! They felt perfect at the store (43) and now i have been wearing them around the house for a few hours and noticed my pinky toes feel like they are kind of jammed. The rest of the toes feel good, but i did notice that the space between the toes in the shoes don't go back to the space between my toes of my feet (if that makes sense)...what should i do? Thank for the help. Just started going primal about 3 wks ago, and have been going all out on everything primal!

Ika
    Ika is offline Member

Has anyone tried on the new 5-fingers yet (the Preforma or Moc I think they are)? I would love to know what you think of them!!!

My problem is that my big toes are kind of um...big and long LOL (not like freakishly big and long, but more so than average), and they don't really fit very well in the big toe area on 5-fingers I got around this with my Vivobarefoots by getting leather ones, which stretched nicely and now my toes fit, but since the 5-fingers are made of rubbery and nylon-y material in the toe area it didn't seem like they were going to stretch at all so I returned them. Now I see that they have new ones made of leather!! However, I see that they say they are only for "indoor wear" Ugh...!! They would probably be PERFECT for me if they were durable enough for me to wear outside (I just go barefoot indoors--who needs indoor shoes LOL?!)! I probably wouldn't be TOO rough on them (I'd probably wear them mainly for like everyday stuff, walking, no major off-road runs or anything) and maybe I could give them a good water-proof protection coating? *sigh* I would hate to ruin $100 shoes, but....they are so cute (especially the purple ones)!!! And I love being barefoot!!! I am glad you found 5-fingers that fit, onesekzimama! *jealous!!!* hehe

My etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/UrthForged
    *hand-carved wood and bone jewelry*

Reepicheep Guest

I was going to start a new topic for this, but maybe I don't need to.

My question is about how to walk in Vibrams. I have a pair of KSOs, and I love them, but when I walk I still do the old heel-toe stride that I have when I wear regular shoes. When I run, I have the natural toe-heel stride that the vibrams say they promote. When I try and just walk without a heel-strike first, it feels really awkward. How do you guys walk in your vibrams?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast