Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If whey powder smoothies are so bad, then why was I doing well with them? page

oxide is offline Senior Member

If whey powder smoothies are so bad, then why was I doing well with them?

Primal Fuel
    I've been having a whey powder smoothie* for breakfast for years and never ran into any problems with them. When I was on medium carb SAD in 2009, I had gained 10 pounds because of job loss (cortisol), and the smoothies helped me lose those 10 pounds back to normal. When I started primal on Halloween 2011, I lost five pounds right away, still with the smoothie breakfast and only walking for exercise. In the past few weeks, I've been on BAB leptin reset. The LR is showing signs of working, but I've gained a couple pounds and I miss the smoothies. Post reset, I'd like to go back to the smoothie and drop a teeny bit more weight.

But now I read on MDA in several threads that whey powder must be avoided: folks say that it causes inflammation, stalls weight loss, spikes insulin. Then they throw in the obligatory lecture to "eat real food."

I don't get it. Jack Kruse grudgingly allows some whey powder, and Mark Sisson sells the stuff, and they seem to be in good health. It seems that the only time I should avoid wp is on LR or Whole30; otherwise I'd like it to be my 20%. Does anyone else actually LIKE their whey powder smoothies, or am I the only one?

(EDIT: and I think it's pretty funny that there's an ad for Primal Fuel right next to my post. )

----------
    *Original smoothie: 1/3 plain lowfat yogurt, 2/3 cup berries, 1 tsp honey, 1 scoop wp (20 g protein + sucralose), water, green tea bag.
    *Primal smoothie: 1/6 cup full-fat greek yogurt, 1/6 cup coconut milk, 2/3 cup berries, 1 scoop wp (20 g protien + stevia), water.
    5'0" female, 42 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: 105.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    "Protein isolate powder is not recommended, because as Sally Fallon writes, “We have already seen that both fats and carbohydrates can be devitalized by processing and refining. *The same can be said of proteins. *Isolated protein powders made from soy, whey, casein and egg whites are currently popular as basic ingredients in diet beverages and many so-called health food products. *These protein isolates are usually obtained by a high temperature process that over-denatures the proteins to such an extent that they become virtually useless while increasing nitrates and other carcinogens [cancer causing substances].

Diets in which unnatural isolated powdered proteins from soy, eggs or milk are fed to animals or humans cause a negative calcium balance that can lead to osteoporosis. *Critics of meat-eating have seized on these results to claim that meat causes bone loss. *But meat or milk – as opposed to protein powders – fed to human subjects do not cause calcium loss nor do they contribute to osteoporosis. *The healthy meat-eating groups studied by Weston Price did not show any evidence whatsoever of osteoporosis.’

If you believe undenatured whey protein isolate would be a good source of proteins, particularly to obtain the amino acid glutathione, think again if you are lactose intolerant or you have candida albicans/yeast overgrowth. *Candida sufferers cannot tolerate lactose in dairy products, except for butter because it contains the least of any dairy product. *The rule about lactose is: *“The higher the butterfat content the lower the lactose. Following is a table which shows that whey is high in lactose."

Protein Isolate Powder Not Recommended (Includes Whey)

The info comes from Weston A. Price Foundation and Sally Fallon, but this link came up with an explanation. Primal eating is about eating real, unprocessed foods. Protein powder is highly processed. Lots of people can lose weight eating processed foods, but that doesn't make it healthy. Not sure why Mark sells it, other than to make money.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    It's not that they're "so bad" (shoot, I drink them occasionally) but they're just not ideal, nutritionally speaking.

Come summer, I will be drinking a lot of "milkshakes" for lunch at work, while sitting out and soaking up the vitamin C.

ChefGrok is offline Senior Member
    Everyone has there own opinion, it should always go back to what works for you. Do you feel bad after you drink it? I usually have two scoops a day, and have never had a problem. But what works for me might not for you.

Mark has years of experience with the development and implementation of the PB. I would trust that he knows what he's talking about, and listen to what your body is telling you. There are a lot of "experts" on the MDA forums, just listen to your body.

Credodisi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChefGrok View Post
    Everyone has there own opinion, it should always go back to what works for you. Do you feel bad after you drink it? I usually have two scoops a day, and have never had a problem. But what works for me might not for you.

Mark has years of experience with the development and implementation of the PB. I would trust that he knows what he's talking about, and listen to what your body is telling you. There are a lot of "experts" on the MDA forums, just listen to your body.
    +1

back2basix is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChefGrok View Post

+1 +1 +1!!!! I really love these forums but honestly find some people just damn annoying with all their expertise! While most the info here is applicable and relevant, I don't hold much attention toward those that I see as fanatical and push their own agendas of "you must do it this way...." Then again, that applies for most of my life. I'm an incurable moderate.

Snauzoo is offline Senior Member
    A couple of comments.

First, Mark's product line supports this site. Websites cost big bucks. His products are good quality.
    Second, not all protein products are whey ISOLATE.
    Third, owning a computer + internet access + ability to express an opinion does NOT equal expertise.

And this may get me groaned at but if we are as stubbornly dogmatic about primal eating as we were about low fat diets 20 years ago, how does that help anyone?

My opinion, eat what makes you feel well, emotionally and physically. I tried a yogurt concoction I heard about here that has tumeric in it. I tried it, hated it, absolutely cannot stand the taste of tumeric. I gagged it down, and then got horrible belching afterward. I pitched the rest of the carton. Now I put manuka honey in my yogurt on busy mornings when I first get up and cannot stand the idea of one more egg. Makes me happy, makes tummy happy, makes everyone around me happy.

I did read a blog or website that mentioned alternatives to isolates, but for the life of me, oxide, I do not remember. If I come across it again in my travels, I will come back to this post and edit it in.

tarek is offline Senior Member
    Whey is not the best choice when it comes to protein powders. It's really processed, and unless you're buying the higher quality whey powders, you're probably getting denatured, ultra-refined protein powder. Start with raw milk, then pasteurize it, then homogenize it, then make "cheese" from it, remove the liquid whey, reduce it to a powder, and then filter and refine it until you're left with whey protein isolate. There are a few additional steps to it, but that's essentially how it goes. Keep in mind that whey, in comparison to casein (the other prominent protein in milk), is much more fragile and not heat-stable.

If you feel fine eating it, then by all means, have at it. Personally, I'd give egg white protein or brown rice protein a try, but really, there are far worse things you could be eating. Don't stress it unless it starts causing problems.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    I've not tried whey powder yet but I do eat a lot of goats cheese (closely related) which I find is the best thing for building muscle. Whey powder is tried and tested in the body-building community for sound scientific reasons. Sometimes highly processed can be a good thing when it knocks out a load of bad molecular properties ... and we all know dairy is famed for those.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Lets' see... I did a bit of poking online. I did a bit of poking online, and the "dangers" of whey powder were
    If you are lactose/casein intolerant
    If you have candida/yeast issues
    If the whey powder had artificial sweeteners
    If I ate it as a snack instead of as a meal replacement (too many calories)
    If you ate "excessive" amounts of it, like bodybuilders do. Only then would the high amounts of protein overwhelm your liver, kidneys, and possibly leach calcium.
    I googled "whey protein osteoperosis" and found a link where people take wp to treat osteoperosis.

The wp I have is non-rGBH, non-denatured, low-temperature filtration whey isolate with stevia. I've only eaten 1 scoop per day and don't have yeast or intolerance, so I'm going to spite the "real food" police and stick with the smoothies.
    5'0" female, 42 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: 105.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast