Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: in defense of sugar page

dado Guest

in defense of sugar

Primal Fuel
    you read the forum enough and you will think sugar is some monster that kills you.

it's not sugar that kills you, it's you being an asshole and eating too much sugar.

you put a couple teaspoons in your coffee in the morning, you won't have any ill effects.

before you run to the stevia and all that new age garbage, you would be wise to rethink sugar.

sugar is a gift from god, like marijuana or beer, but god can't help you if you shovel it in your system like a jerkface.
    Last edited by dado; 02-04-2012 at 04:27 AM.

jsa23 is offline Senior Member
    hah! I like the quote.

Particularly when looking at glycogen metabolism, and also including things like fructose it's important to remember that the muscles and liver have a LIMITED ability to store carbohydrates as glycogen. Thus the more depleted your glycogen levels, the more carbohydrates one can handle. Hence the common recommendation on these forums to be relatively low-carb - but the more active folks who advocate higher carb intake are right too. It's when you're sedentary and take in too many carbs that the excess CHO that can't be stored get converted to fat en masse, spike blood sugar more, etc.

Our bodies are built to use a reasonable amount of carbohydrates(including a little bit of sugar) proportional to activity levels; They're not built to deal with giant milkshakes with 120 grams of sugar, gulped down in the span of 10 minutes while watching TV/sitting in the car. Most of our ancestors' sugar intake likely came from fresh fruit, which doesn't provide nearly the rush as most of the concentrated, refined carbohydrate sources we have around today. That giant milkshake has as much sugar as probably 3 pounds of berries, and far fewer nutrients.
    Last edited by jsa23; 02-04-2012 at 04:38 AM.

Rip @ MIPWID is offline Senior Member
    I suppose demonising sugar is better than demonising insulin, as I have seen elsewhere.

"Damn insulin! Making me fat!"

No, son. Insulin is what's SAVING YOUR ARSE. It's not its fault you're causing so much to be made.

I would have to agree that like a gun, sugar isn't the culprit but the wielder is. I suppose my main anger is that the effects of excess sugar aren't well known enough.

But I'd hardly class sugar, beer and marijuana and 'gifts from God'. He's a shitty gift-giver if that's the case.
    Meat is Prized, Wheat is Despised.

Real Food - The REAL staff of life

Spubba is offline Senior Member
    Human beings are not hummingbirds. We didn't evolve to sit around sipping sugar water all day.

dado Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Spubba View Post
    Human beings are not hummingbirds. We didn't evolve to sit around sipping sugar water all day.
    brilliant. you're an amazing individual.

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Hummingbird~~ sitting around~~ ~~ oh, wait~~

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    I agree- I enjoy small amounts of sugar, but its easy to go down a slippery slope with it- for sure. Haha, like marijuana and beer. And I hate sugar substitutes except for honey and maple syrup.

I don't think having sugar in a cup of coffee and a banana is like being hummingbird sugar fiend- it's just enjoying what you can enjoy. And for me, stevia is like fake fat- I never end up satisfied like I do with sugar.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I have been using Stevia, but I think it has become as much of a problem as sugar was before. Go figure - you substitute one thing with another and it becomes a problem too. I'm thinking I'll just go back to using regular sugar in my coffee, just in very small amounts.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

apple is offline Senior Member
    Is a teaspoon of sugar in your coffee better than a few drops of stevia ... for a t1 diabetic? I tend to think stevia is the godsend, in my case.
    Type 1 Diabetic. Controlling blood sugar through primal life.

2012 Goals:
    Maintain A1c of 6.0 or lower
    More dietary fat, less carbs, moderate protein
    LHT and sprint as per PB fitness
    Play more!

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I don't have blood sugar issues myself, and I tend to think of Stevia as a free food, so that's where my problem lies.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast