Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gaining weight Losing weight page

Rattybag is offline Senior Member

Gaining weight Losing weight

Shop Now
    Ive been gluten free for 20 years but 'gone Paleo' only a few weeks.
    What I dont understand is that I lose weight one week, eat the same, then have put it back on the next!
    I dont understand why its going up and down so much and Im not cheating!! any ideas whats going on?
    Im not over eating though its tricky to work out how many calories in things that Ive made from different flours sometimes.
    Might I be over carbing?
    Id be grateful for any help, however small!!

kkarrolle is offline Senior Member
    Maybe show a typical day's menu for advice? Do you exercise? What exercise do you do? What flours are you using?
    Achieving goals takes a backbone not a wishbone

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    First stop weighing yourself. That number means nothing.

Second, weekly fluctuations are water weight. That is one of the reasons not to use a scale.

Third, if you want advice you need to give way more info: menus, exercise, sleep, stress and medical at a minimum.

ASmallOne is offline Senior Member
    instead of weighing yourself, as annoying as this may be, for a few weeks hard data, weigh your food-- there's a big difference between a quarter and a half pound of meat, but hunger sometimes makes portions larger than they appear... just an idea
    Check out my new webpage: The Carnivore Runner
    Friend me on "The Facebook"
    Follow me on Twitter!

For customized training / nutritional plans for runners from a former athlete who has personal experience in dealing with severe food allergies, please email me at foxATtinybikeDOTnet. I am ISA certified as a personal trainer and have coached many runners at the recreational or young-competitor level to towards their goals! Most of all, I'd love to help you with yours.

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member
    How long has this been going on for? How many weeks? Can you think of other lifestyle factors other than eating. E.g. working hours, source of drinking water, sleep, chemicals in the environment? Something that happens fortnightly (that's British for every two weeks!)

Thanks to everyone that has replied. A typical days eating consists of either quinoa porridge made with semi skimmed milk, or 2 very small slices of toasted "bread" that ive made from eggs, amaranth, quinoa and buckwheat flour, and marmalade. then a black filter coffee.
    Lunch is often a simple soup or a boiled egg. Main meal is either chicken and veg or a veg based meal depending on what I have.
    Snacks are sometimes a few nuts or an apple or kiwi. I dont often snack at all though. Coffee consumption is usually about 2 or 3 mugs of filter coffee a day.
    I dont exercise much due to a hip problem but I do use a punch ball 2 or 3 times a week.
    I am in anti epilepsy medication and anti depressives.
    Do you think I am doing things right are am I making grave errors without knowing it?
    Thanks for any help as I am determined to lose some weight but feel Im not making much progress.
    I sleep 10 hours at night and sleep very soundly.

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Your diet seems a little high in 'grain' carbs and a little low in protein/fat~ that can cause fluctuations in water retention/weight gain~ try eggs/meat for breakfast instead~

L8F
    L8F is offline Senior Member
    I think it sounds like you are a lot of grains, and not much protein as the person above said. Agree. Have a very low carb breakfast with high protein first thing, and see how that goes. Primal and pale are not really about having primally "approved" substitutes for traditional carbs, but rather eating differently in my opinion. I think you have extra work to do due to the meds. Try eggs and meat for breakfast for a few weeks, and see how it goes...bet you will be surprised at your energy improvement and possibly weight loss.
    Started Whole30 December 31, 2011
    Integrated Leptin Reset/Jack Kruse plan Jan 13, 2012
    Starting Weight: 174.8
    CW:160.0 lbs

Thank you for your comments. However, if I dont eat as many "grain" foods, am I not almost eating like the Atkins Diet? I really dont want to do THAT again!!

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    I think you are confused. Have you read the book? Primal meals should be based around vegetables and meat. Your diet is not that.

If you are worried about fiber, eat more veggies.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast