Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ketogenic diet + epilepsy page

lesliek is offline Member

Shop Now

I have a cousin who suffers from epileptic seizures, and have seen a ketogenic diet may help with this. Anyone here have success with that?

I did a little research on the Epilepsy Foundation website and found some info, but they don't seem to know much. They say the ketogenic diet was invented 80 years ago (haha) and "Doctors don't know precisely why a diet that mimics starvation by burning fat for energy should prevent seizures, although this is being studied." So...they seem to know that it works, but they treat is as a freakish weird thing they don't understand.

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member

Ketogenic diet has been used for epileptic children for a long time, and studies do show it helps with their condition. On that note, you would need to work with a doctor or health practitioner to make this work. It's one thing for someone to go on a ketogenic diet and get tired, ect... but were talking about an epileptic child going on it.

"The Ketogenic Diet" by Lyle McDonald is the best guide I've seen on ketosis, and many studies in the book are the ones based on epileptic children. He states in the book as I said above, get a doctor's approval and advising.

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

Zophie is offline Senior Member

Yes, we have had success with it. My daughter has autism not epilepsy, but it does stop her seizures. In fact that is how I found this site. I was looking for new recipes. A.S. Is right you have to start out with a biomed-doctor to have the blood work done. I don't see any reason you couldn't introduce a more primal way of living though.

Stabby is offline Senior Member

Nobody has any definitive explanation (I think it is that the brain and heart run more efficiently in ketosis but don't quote me) but it works well.

Also it is supposedly very safe according to brand new research (duh). http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/179311.php

Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Thanks so much for the info, guys! I'm glad to have the resources should I get a chance to bring it up to her.

Rif
    Rif is offline Junior Member

I have a friend whose daughter had severe epilepsy and frequent grand mal seizures. None of the medication regimens did much good. She was put on a ketogenic diet in 3rd grade (I believe they went through the Mayo Clinic) and the diet completely stopped her seizures. She didn't remain on the diet long term (I think about 8 months). Her seizures haven't returned (she's now 14 years old).

stop_hammertime Guest

Hey! I am a nuero nurse and work closely with one of the best Epileptologists in the country.

He does put people on ketogenic diets, and he says it does often work. I do believe he only uses it in cases where medication is not effective but that may be just because the medical community views the low carb diet as so restrictive and unhealthy.

FairyRae2 Guest

This is really helpful guys, thanks. My cousin's efforts to wean off medication haven't been successful, so I thought I'd propose this.

(I'd also like to propose this diet to our grandpa who has diabetes, gout, and high blood pressrure, but needless to say, his ADA/low-potassium/AHA diet is pretty much the *opposite* of PB. Sigh.)

My cousin lives close to the Mayo clinic so...makes me think I should propose this.

kmacphee is offline Senior Member
    One thing you ned to know about the Ketogenic diet is that you must be very strict! I've known people who would scrape all of the food remaining from the plate/bowl such as cream and sauce to eat because the diet is carefully measured. Also, people will pick the food off the floor and eat it for the same reason.

The diet is usually most successful if followed to the letter over a two year period. If this is done, then people are often relieved of their seizures for life. My sister has epilepsy, she did not take care of her self and has many seizures. I have epilepy, I take very good care of myself and my epilepsy is controlled with meds, but a low dose. I have had less seizures once I changed to a more "primal" / low carb diet but have not worked with the KD. There has been some success with adults, but for the most part it has been used with children.

Jimmy Moore had a great guest on the show recently who is a mother of a child with epilepsy who was successful on the diet/ Check out the link here.

Hope this helps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast