Thread: Coconut milk question??? And Non grass fed meat question??? page

diana13t is offline Junior Member

Coconut milk question??? And Non grass fed meat question???

Primal Fuel
    When coconut milk is used in PB recipes is it the canned coconut milk? I'm just about to take the 21 day challenge, still reading everything, and I even purchased a few cookbooks. Like on page 21 of PB Quick and Easy Meals, for the Broccoli Quiche, it calls for 1 1/2 cups of coconut milk or whole cream. Is that the canned milk without any added water? Or is that watered down?

Also, we cannot afford to buy grass fed beef and free range chicken, etc at this point (although I would love to), will eating the "regular" meat and chicken hurt my weight loss? Any suggestions?

Thank you for your help!

unchatenfrance is offline Senior Member
    Yes, the regular-fat (not fat-free) canned milk with no added water.
    Eating "regular" meat should not harm your weight loss (unless you're already quite lean and aiming to get to super-lean, in which case too many 06's will stall fat loss), but if you have to eat "regular" meat, go for the leaner cuts to reduce the 06 intake from the grain-fed fats. And even if you can't afford grassfed, see if you can find hormone and antibiotic-free meat. It's available at both my local grocery store and market, and isn't any more expensive. It's better than nothing.

dado Guest
    i will always tell you to eat 'regular' meat versus the 'grass-fed'. grass-fed, organic, this is a racket. the guys that make the stuff can tweak one variable a little to the left, a little to the right, and slap an organic label on it. if you want to empty your pocket on this racket, this is great, but regular meat is meat and it's strong for you.

that's my three cents.

Credodisi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dado View Post
    i will always tell you to eat 'regular' meat versus the 'grass-fed'. grass-fed, organic, this is a racket. the guys that make the stuff can tweak one variable a little to the left, a little to the right, and slap an organic label on it. if you want to empty your pocket on this racket, this is great, but regular meat is meat and it's strong for you.

that's my three cents.
    I agree with you on the 'organic' label...it's not worth it. There are no standards or controls to ensure what they actually mean when they say "organic".

Grass fed is a bit different though. You can tell the difference with grass-fed beef. The cuts are leaner, you have to cook them differently or they get tough. Nutritionally, they are superior compared to conventionally raised beef. I would buy grass-fed if you can. But if you can't, I agree with unchatenfrance... stay with the leaner cuts to reduce 06 intake.

diana13t is offline Junior Member
    thank you for all your help!!!

mrsamke is offline Junior Member
    That answer my questions too. Thanks both for post the ?? And answers too.

Analog6 is offline Senior Member
    Terranora, far north coast NSW, Australia
    And you can tell grain fed beef, as a rule, by the marbling in the meat. Cattle fed grain and other supplements (such as beer and yeast leavings) have marble meat and hard white fat. Grass fed cattle, as a general rule, are not nearly as marbled with fat and the outside layer of fat is yellower and softer. I used to grow 'em so I do know what to look for.
    Odille
    F 58 / 170cms / SW 131.5 kgs / Current 112.4/ GW 65
    following Primal Lifestyle and swimming my way to health

My Primal Blog / Photo Blog / RedBubble shop / My Calendars / My Facebook

feren6 is offline Member
    Although grass-fed beef is more expensive by the pound, it actually amounts to the same cost for me because it's a lot more dense than grain-fed beef. For example, the 80/20 ground beef at Trader Joe's is like 2.50, and the grass-fed ground beef is like 6.50..but i'll eat 1/2 a pound or 3/4 a pound in a single meal of the grass fed compared to the entire package of 80/20. It is a little more expensive but it is just so much higher quality meat..and it'll fill you up faster.

Spubba is offline Senior Member
    I would like to buy grass-fed beef. I finally found a supermarket that has it. Unfortunately the only cuts they sell are the 'prime' ones (steaks, roasts). No liver or offal, ever. Not even available (I asked). That was a big fat disappointment. They wouldn't even get me a tongue or an ox-tail. What the hell kind of a butcher is that?!?

I found a place that says it has pastured chickens, pigs and beef for sale and you can even see the animals... but chickens are 30 bucks apiece for a whole one and I have to drive 2 hours to get this stuff - and I don't have a big freezer either. *faints* Ok, I'm willing to go so far for a primal lifestyle, but that might be out of my price range. However, these people do raise their meats on-site and have offal, so it's worth checking out even if I can't eat off their farm every single day.

For now, it's still regular ol' supermarket meats for me until I find something better and sustainable budget-wise.

activia is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Find a local farm to buy some from here. They can be more economical that way, you know what you are getting because you actually go to the farm, and you usually can get lard/tallow/and organs for free (which I recommend you doing even if you don't buy their meat). Cheaper grass fed are a million times better then expensive corn fed. I would never want to eat that CAFO beef again. CAFO farms are breeding super viruses/bactoria, very unnutritious (its not just the fats!!), and not sustainable for the environment. Its causing tons and tons of problems!

Support the right farmers instead! Buy the cheap cuts! get a chest freezer, and buy 1/2 cow you can get for $3-4lb
    Local Harvest / Farmers Markets / Family Farms / CSA / Organic Food
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs