Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What to do...I am not losing. page

randamom is offline Junior Member

Angry What to do...I am not losing.

Shop Now
    I have been doing PB since April 2011, starting at 146 lbs. I know I didn't have much to lose, hoping for about 6-10lbs. I am approximately 80/20, some days better ratio. I have essentially eliminated dairy (aside from occasional full fat greek yogurt, butter) and wheat/grains. Yes, I do have bread on occasion at a restaurant (maybe once every 2 months) and sometimes indulge in sweets. My diet is not perfect, however I rarely stray from PB on an entire meal. I have been stuck at 142-144. I workout 4 days/week, 1 day spin, 2 days cross fit type of session with personal trainer (group), and 1 day pure metabolic workout. I take vitamins, krill oil, and regularly consume protein shakes. I think I am doing everything right!!! Am I supposed to just be happy with this? I feel that I should be lower in body fat with all the changes I have done? I know it's my diet, but I do not know what else to adjust!! I would love some insight from someone who did not start out with alot of weight to lose, but like myself, just wanted to get rid of the pudge. HELP!!

otzi Guest
    Something I had to do was stop exercising for a couple weeks and just focus on diet. No workouts for 2-3 weeks won't hurt anybody. If you need to do something--walk. Try to work out your caloric needs. Eat a strict diet of less than 35g carbs a day and around 1500 calories total. See how you do with that for a couple weeks. Then add the exercise back in. It's easy to justify more calories than you need when you exercise a lot. Exercsie is for health/muscles. Diet is for fat loss. Those protein shakes add up. Go to the primal 101 section of this website and look for "reasons you aren't losing weight" there's a whole article by Mark on that topic.

Croak is offline Senior Member
    First off, replace the whey shakes with real meat/fish/eggs. Might be surprised at the results.

Then take a look at your exercise, with an eye on reducing it, not increasing it. I wouldn't be surprised if your cortisol levels are quite elevated, especially doing Crossfit with a trainer cracking a whip. High cortisol can often stall/stop weight loss all by itself.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Why are you taking the shakes at your weight it should be easy to get your protein from real food.
    You seem to have a lot of little "cheats" they can add up. You may want to closely track your eating to see what is really going on.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Grizz is offline Banned
    You are most likely severely iodine deficient just like most Americans, and this makes losing that last 10 lbs impossible:
    Iodine is not optional; it is necessary for health, including breast health, oral/gastrointestinal health, and the health of a developing fetus. The RDA for non-lactating adults is 150 mcg per day, the quantity required to not have a goiter, but not necessarily ideal thyroid health. I’ve therefore been advising 500-1000 mcg per day from an iodine supplement, such as kelp tablets (dried seaweed), available at health food stores (not pharmacies).
    Please read the rest here.
    Thyroid Tune-up Checklist | Wheat Belly
    Do your Iodine Skin Patch Test using Lugols 5% iodine from Amazons to see if you are deficient:
    I’m now going to demonstrate how you can test yourself for whether you have enough iodine in your body or not, it’s called the “iodine patch test” … you simply take a bottle of Lugol’s iodine, or another form of iodine, put some of it on your skin … let it absorb into your skin … in the area of about one-inch square is sufficient, of course, we let it dry, we can see the reddish-brown color of the iodine.

How to interpret the results of the test are: if all of this color is absorbed through your skin into the body in less then eight hours, you have a very severe deficiency of iodine in your body; eight to sixteen hours, you have a moderate deficiency; sixteen to twenty-four hours, you have a slight to moderate deficiency. Only if it takes twenty-four hours or more for this to slowly fade away, does it indicate that you have enough iodine in your body, …which, according to Dr. Guy Abraham, is 1500 milligrams total quantity of iodine in a full-saturated iodine patient.

This is a simple way, and although it is easy to do, it apparently correlates very well with the much more scientific, medical, and technical way of testing for iodine, which is to take a loading dose and check a 24-hour urine [sample] to see how much of it you’ve dumped out of your body, …the rest of it, presumably, having been absorbed into your tissues. This is an easy way … you can do this test every one to two weeks, as you’re trying to do your loading on the Lugol’s iodine, as outlined by Dr. Guy Abraham, M.D..
    Iodine Replacement Therapy
    My first skin patch test last month was GONE in only 3 minutes! This week it is taking 4 hours. I have a long way to go before I get to success at 24 hours.

Low iodine Thyroid Symptoms
    * Fatigue
    * Depression
    * Modest weight gain
    * Cold intolerance
    * Excessive sleepiness
    * Dry, coarse hair
    * Constipation
    * Dry skin
    * Muscle cramps
    * Increased cholesterol levels
    * Decreased concentration [brain fog]
    * Vague aches and pains
    * Swelling of the legs
    * Puffiness around the eyes
    * Drop in body temperature
    * Slowing heart rate
    * Lack of sweating
    Iodine Deficiency | University of Michigan Health System

For the ladies:
    * Migraine headaches
    * Painful periods/heavy periods
    * pelvic pain
    * PCOS
    * endometriosis
    * Fibroid Tumors
    * pelvic inflammatory disease (PID)
    * breast pain (fibrous tissue)
    Iodine for Health by Donald W. Miller, Jr., MD

Much more at our Iodine Thread here:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...d45205-18.html

Grizz

Analog6 is offline Senior Member
    Terranora, far north coast NSW, Australia
    How tall are you? What is the 'ideal' weight range for your height? It is impossible to advise without this information.
    Odille
    F 58 / 170cms / SW 131.5 kgs / Current 112.4/ GW 65
    following Primal Lifestyle and swimming my way to health

My Primal Blog / Photo Blog / RedBubble shop / My Calendars / My Facebook

Legbiter is offline Senior Member
    I'd ditch the whey shakes for eggs, meat and/or fish. Also Crossfit 4 times a week might be too much. I only go 3 times a week myself and I find that to be plenty.

dado Guest
    40 hour fast, report back

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Yes intermittent fasting sounds a good idea.

I suggest more walks for relaxation and fresh air (perhaps you're not getting enough?) - try to up your low-level activity by doing fun things.

And on that note, I'm off to my local park for a stroll, before it starts snowing.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    Definitely get rid of the protein shakes (protein powder = denatured protein= inflammation) and stop cheating. Also, cut down on the intensity of excercise (again too strenuous = inflammation). Make sure you are vitamin D sufficient...if you're not taking vitamin D, take it, along with iodine as discussed by Grizz. Add coconut oil to your diet. Keep meals basic... meat, fat, vegetables.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast