Thread: Suggestions on what to eat at an Indian restaurant page

spincycle is offline Senior Member

Suggestions on what to eat at an Indian restaurant

Primal Fuel
    Hi guys, my husband and I love Indian food, but I haven't been to a restaurant since going Primal 7 months ago. Any suggestions on what to order? Everything I remember loving had loads of rice, naan bread, lentils and chick peas; lots of rice and sauce and low on veggies and meat. Can you give me some ideas on what dishes I can order? I know I could just go ahead and enjoy all the grains and get back on the wagon on Sun., but I'd like to figure out if there are other alternatives.

Balance is offline Senior Member
    We eat Indian food occassionally. I tend to order Chicken Tikka Masala and some fresh veggies, that's pretty much it and I am good to go. I don't mess with the naan or rice anymore. Although in my opinion the rice isn't too bad in small quantities if you are not trying to lose any weight.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Rip @ MIPWID is offline Senior Member
    If going to an Indian restauarant I wouldn't worry about the white rice and would probably order chicken karahi as usual. I'd probably skip the chapati but used to love them so if desperate I'll just have one and not worry too much about it.
    Meat is Prized, Wheat is Despised.

Real Food - The REAL staff of life

Englishman in Oz is offline Senior Member
    I just LOVE Indian food, could eat it all day, every day. Personally, when I go to an Indian restaurant (about once every 2 months), I just go the whole hog and have a bit (emphasis on the bit) of everything. But you don't want to do that, so:

Starters: Tandoori Chicken/or other meat (lamb is my favourite). Just good old meat and spices baked in an oven with a side salad. See also Chicken tikka. Avoid pakoras, samosas and onion bhaji's, deep fried and full of flour. Though very delicious.

Mains: Most curry's are pretty primal (I make many at home), but you don't know what oil they're using at the restaurant. If it's a good one, they'll mostly be using ghee, which is pretty good news as far as eating out goes. So if you're a chilli freak like me, madras, vindaloo (very hot!), bhuna (occasionally comes with potatoes), rogan josh (fantastic, but occasionally contains lentils in some restaurants, best to ask) and balti should all be fine. If you like it mildish, the aforementioned Chicken Karahi is pretty good. Avoid anything with dansak in the name (lentils) and chana (chickpeas).

Sides: Saag Paneer (spinach and cheese) is awesome. Well worth the dairy indulgence.
    A bit of rice is no problem, don't think twice.

Dessert: Another cold beer. You'll need it if you've chosen the right curry.

Spubba is offline Senior Member
    I adore Indian (or any other highly spiced) food. Usually I make my own curries at home with cauliflower rice and coconut milk. It's easy to make a good Paleo curry once you work out how the spices are supposed to go.

However there is an adorable little hole-in-the-wall Indian restaurant not far from where I live and they serve chicken saag (chicken pieces with spinach) which is to die for. Rice comes with it, but nobody's going to force you to eat it. Chicken saag would be a pretty good Paleo choice. If you're up for dairy, saag paneer is also fine. Chicken tikka masala or tandoori chicken might also work, but chicken tikka masala contains milk/cream (at home I make it with coconut cream). Just skip the rice (or don't eat a huge pile of it) and skip the naan bread and you should be fine.

My friends are all mad at me because I stopped making chapati and poori at home and I no longer make my famous lentils...