Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: morning run and the bonk page

msfish is offline Junior Member

morning run and the bonk

Shop Now
    I am new to posting and about 2.5 weeks into Primal. I have done lots of reading on the site.

My question is what do you eat in the a.m. prior to exercising??

I have been getting up and exercising in the a.m., but only light exercise. I am not new to exercise, but new to low carb. When I go for a run in a.m., I have no energy due to overnight fast. I typically would have 1/2 a Cliff shot and/or a mint candy while jogging. Without this I am weak. I do not want to have to rely on carbs, but is it inevitable?

My afternoon workouts seem to be fine since I have food on board.

dado Guest
    eat a banana or something, man.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Consider quitting running until you are keto-adapted, if low carb is what you want right now. You won't really lose your ability to run. It should take only a couple weeks.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 175 x 3. Current Deadlift: 225 x 3

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dado View Post
    eat a banana or something, man.
    Just one?..
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

elliottsmith is offline Senior Member
    Why on earth are you eating to go for a jog and why are people advising you to eat also??? If you're running hard for over an hour then consider taking some food but candy to go for a jog or a banana WTF, you won't need anything.

People hit the wall on Marathons or Bonk on long hard bike rides. Hitting the wall while jogging is about as likely a hitting the wall while walking around the shops. Don't worry about it.

dado Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by elliottsmith View Post
    Why on earth are you eating to go for a jog and why are people advising you to eat also??? If you're running hard for over an hour then consider taking some food but candy to go for a jog or a banana WTF, you won't need anything.

People hit the wall on Marathons or Bonk on long hard bike rides. Hitting the wall while jogging is about as likely a hitting the wall while walking around the shops. Don't worry about it.
    you bring strong points to the table

jsa23 is offline Senior Member
    How long is your run? I don't do long morning runs now, but when I did them I went up to 8-10 miles with no issue. I only ever found "the wall" once during a training run, and that was a combination of longer distance(half marathon+) over hilly terrain, being slightly hungover(stupid), and totally fasted. On the few occasions I've raced 5-10k runs, I've done them totally fasted with no issues, simply because race pace doesn't always agree with whatever is in my stomach, so I feel better/am faster running on empty if I'm giving max effort.

Generally speaking you should be okay running for an hour, probably up to 90 minutes(more if you're conditioned) in a fasted state provided you're hydrated and getting enough rest. Though Mark and others would probably caution you about long running sessions, for a variety of reasons.

pace2race is offline Senior Member
    Agreed with the not needing to eat before morning running or exercise. You're not bonking, you're just not used to burning fat yet. Sip water before since you've also not had anything to drink overnight. That's much more important than food before a training run. If you drink coffee prior to getting out, add heavy cream to it. That will settle the stomach down. If I'm racing, (even just 5k) I will have something and it usually is a sweet potato or banana or both about 3-hours prior, otherwise, what's the point? Eating something just before means it's being digested and actually diverting bloodflow from the muscles. Even jels take 45 minutes to be available for the muscles.
    Last edited by pace2race; 02-04-2012 at 04:46 AM.

msfish is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the input ! My runs are 4-6 miles so obviously not the bonk, just relying on carbs. Certainly an eye-opener. Going to push through this.

Why Fat, Not Carbs, Are the Preferred Fuel for the Human Body | Mark's Daily Apple -HELPED MUCH

I think a lot may be mental as well. My mind thinks I need the fuel!

Sigi is offline Senior Member
    Sorry, just butting in unnecessarily to be extremely childish and snigger that Americans' cheerful use of the term "bonk" can be quite hilarious to other English speakers of the world. For us, the word means something different entirely ...

::: giggles like a 5 year old and runs away :::
    I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast