Thread: Pressure on my stomach page

sbhikes is offline Senior Member

Pressure on my stomach

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm taking a core fitness class and one of the movements we do is to lay out our bellies, left our legs straight out off the ground behind us, stick our arms straight on in front and alternate arms and legs going up and down. This is really super uncomfortable. I have always had trouble with pressure against my stomach. I feel like I might throw up. I can only do it holding my breath. Does anybody know why this happens? Is it just that I totally lack any abs so far? Am I doing something wrong?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

jakey is offline Senior Member
    i do think this is an issue of core strength but possibly a lack of both lower back training and ab training.

maybe stick to planks for a while if this causes discomfort.

dado Guest
    sounds like a stupid class

you gotta squat

We do squats too. I think he calls these ones Angels. I have never been able to stand pressure against my stomach.

Oh and I think the class is pretty good. I have very little upper body or core strength. I have noticed a big difference in my strength just hiking mountain trails since starting this class. I am not ready for weights and this class just uses small weights and my own body weight. Once I get stronger I will see if there's a weight room class I can take. I work on a college campus so it's best if I can just do something on campus. Otherwise it takes too long to go into town.

wolfman is offline Senior Member
    it's your abdominal strength, push out your stomach and keep everything tight, it will brace your lower back and abs, don't be loose, everything has to be super tight, lay on the ground in the position you would take for the exercise, push your stomach muscles against the floor as hard as you can then relax. Repeat.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    by the way, the three best ab strengthening excercises i know of: squats, pull ups, and planks.

forget the crunches.

sjmc is offline Senior Member
    I've always heard that called a Superman. Way better name than Angel!

I hate them and have never felt comfortable doing them. It's just not a natural move.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Your body is telling you to STOP this ridiculous exercise. Listen to your body.

Grizz