Thread: Will making Mayo with heated/melted coconut oil solidify like at room temp? page

Jamie Madrox is offline Senior Member

Will making Mayo with heated/melted coconut oil solidify like at room temp?

Primal Fuel
    and be a block of mayo instead of a creamy mixture when put in the fridge?

dkd2001 is offline Senior Member
    Never tried it. My first concern would be having the oil too hot -- you could end up with a coconut oil based hollindaise-type sauce rather than mayo. I have used about 20% bacon grease (melted and added at the end of the process) and it made great mayo.

I'd be interested to hear if your mayo solidifies in the fridge. I have a suspicion that it might be a more butter-like consistency rather than creamy.
    Life is an ongoing Experiment of One, so here's to science!

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread37576.html

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Madrox View Post
    and be a block of mayo instead of a creamy mixture when put in the fridge?
    Try it. My guess is yes, it will solidify. Mayo is an emulsion of an oil and an acid, with the egg protein acting as the emulsifier, what keeps the oil and liquid from separating. While other flavor elements may be added (Dijon mustard, garlic, etc.), that's your basic formula. Most commercial mayo is made with soybean oil, whereas most aiolis and many homemade primal mayos use olive oil. The difference between olive oil and coconut oil is that coconut oil goes solid at room temperature, and would obviously be solid at refrigerated temeratures. For the very reason you'd need to melt the coconut oil in the first place, you would need to heat the mayo to keep it from turning into a block. Warm mayo does not sound like a good idea to me...

pjgh is offline Senior Member
    Oddly, I've not done this either, but guess the emulsion will remain an emulsion and not solidify.

Foxmane is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hollandaise tends to separate when placed in a cold environment due to different thermal expansivities of fat and water, as well as the higher melting point of saturated fats that will cause a preferential association of the fatty acid chains in the cold, even with an emulsifying agent like the lecithin in egg yolk. Because you are still using a saturated fat here (coconut oil, rather than butter), you will see similar behaviour, so I wouldn't recommend storing a hollandaise-type sauce made with coconut oil.
    I'm a food scientist by trade, a writer and a cook by hobby, and stranded in the Midwest by choice.

The best thing about the Internet is that you can't be sure I'm not a unicorn.