Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Home Made Mayo Disaster page

Grok is offline Senior Member

Home Made Mayo Disaster

Primal Fuel
    I tried making some home made mayo using the technique from this video and all I got was a bad tasting liquidy goo.

I'm so frustrated I want to scream. I feel like I wasted a bunch of money on a stick blender and ingredients.

Someone please help me. I really want to make some mayo, but it seems like it's impossible to make.

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    The mistake is in putting all the oil in before blending. You must add the oil slowly. It works, really.
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I only use 1/3 cup oil per egg, dry mustard and a squeeze of lemon juice & a bit of salt. Mine always is liquid, but that's how I like it, because I grew up with liquid mayo.

I think he adds all oil, as he lifts the blender from the bottom up to top as the mayo solidifies.
    Last edited by Leida; 02-03-2012 at 10:21 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

wendyland is offline Senior Member
    I didn't see the video, but I've made it with an immersion blender (kitchen aid). I used light olive oil with lemon juice, dry mustard, and one egg. I put it all in at once and blended. It turned out great. If I were to use a regular blender, I would slowly pour in the oil.

What was bad about your mayo?

Quote Originally Posted by wendyland View Post
    What was bad about your mayo?
    The consistency, it was just a liquid goo.

kiss is offline Senior Member
    If you still have your liquid goo sitting around, you could possibly add an additional egg yolk. Put the yolk at the bottom of a container that you can use with the immersion blender and then slowly pour your goo into that. I've always just plopped the egg straight out of the fridge into the bottom of the immersion blender beaker then put whatever spices/herbs I was using on top of that, give it a quick whirl, add in about a cup of oil stick the blender in down to the bottom, turn it on and slowly bring it to the surface. I haven't had a failure yet.
    I've tried making mayo the blender/slow drizzle way and have never had a success that way although some folks swear by that method.
    I'm too lazy to use a whisk.
    kiss = keep it simple, sister!

Quote Originally Posted by kiss View Post
    If you still have your liquid goo sitting around, you could possibly add an additional egg yolk. Put the yolk at the bottom of a container that you can use with the immersion blender and then slowly pour your goo into that.
    I tried that and I just got more liquidy goo. Although I didn't pour the original liquid in slowly I just dumped it all in.

I guess I'll try another time, but isn't there a way to make mayo that doesn't fail half the time?

kiss is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grok View Post
    I guess I'll try another time, but isn't there a way to make mayo that doesn't fail half the time?
    Hmmm, that's a tough one. I had given up on mayo making until I got an immersion blender. I was always frustrated when I tried to do it in the blender by slowly drizzling oil even though EVERYBODY else seemed to be able to do it.
    Maybe try again with all fresh stuff. I know how anger inducing it is to waste such expensive ingredients. But the stick blender is a good thing to have regardless if it works for mayo. It's great for pureeing soup and mine has a little food processor attachment that I use to rice cauliflower as well as chop onions and other veggies.
    kiss = keep it simple, sister!

Rosemary 231 is offline Senior Member
    Having everything a room temperature helps. I use a stick blender and it took me 2 or 3 tries before I got it right. I added the oil all at once right after the egg yolk.

pjgh is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I use a hand whisk, not a blender.

Whisk your yolks until they are soft and light, and then drizzle in melted butter whisking constantly. Drizzle in oil .. that's fine, too.

Mayo takes time and effort - as a primal, the thought of some activity should put a smile on your face just as much as eating the food afterwards! Jump in, have fun ... with a hand whisk.

That stick blender is still very useful indeed! All manner of trimmings and things you'd otherwise throw away can be made into little soups and "amuse bouches". As an off-topic side not, take a nose at: living in the ice age: Cauliflower Stalk Amuse Bouche and living in the ice age: Romanescu Stalk Amuse Bouche

Back to mayo ... have another go.

Oh, one I like is with a good squeeze of pink grapefruit!
    living in the ice age: Pink Grapefruit Mayonnaise

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast