Thread: Oils.........? page

nitsy is offline Junior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

So i am reading through 'The Paleo Diet' currently....

in which...

It suggests to not use coconut oil, almond oil, and many others mentioned with in the fourmns? can anyone shed any light? as i was going purchase almond butter and coconut oil in the weekend... the reason suggested in the book is high omega 6 to omega 3 ratio

additionally it recommends to avoid almonds... I eat a sheloads of those a day atleast 15 to 20, good or bad?

Also after reading this book i dont feel i am getting enough omega 3 what would be peoples suggestion?

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

nitsy,

A lot of folks here have observed that eating too many nuts slows down or stops their weight loss progress- so you might want to go easy on almonds and almond butter if your plan is to lose weight.

I don't have the exact ratios at hand (and I haven't had my coffee yet!), but coconut oil is regarded very highly here as a cooking fat.

There are two ways to improve your o3/o6 ratio. One is to cut down on o6 by avoiding crappy vegetable oils (like corn), and the other way is by increasing o3 consumption via things like grass-finished meats, pastured eggs and fish oil. I take 2,400 mgs of fish oil a day; some folks here take more or less.

Surely someone will com along and do a better job for you ;-)

edit to add: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/?s=fish+oil

The coffee's working now!

kuno1chi (brilliant, brilliant name... just read up on it on wiki)

Currently i am in the process of removing sum excess fat around the belly area, for a 5'7 dude who weighs 140lbs 20%BF sounds a bit on the heavy front (belly measure method)

As i dont eat beef, most of my meats consist of halal chicken and lamb also bacon loves the bacon... i eat plenty of eggs may be 4 to 8 a week at the mo, everything cooked in ghee, butter or olive oil... would you think this type of food consumptions would still require fish oil?

Kuno

I should have looked at the link before asking the fish oil question, i shall read up on the link...

nitsy,

Glad you like my nickname. I think you're the only person who ever looked it up ;-)

Does your Halal shop offer pastured chickens? I ask because the ratios in pastured and commercial meats are different.

I couldn't presume to tell you what you should do, but personally I take the fish oil as insurance, because I don't really have access to grass-finished and pastured meats right now.

Hopefully some of the local experts will chime in soon!

Kuno (do you mind if i shorthen it, i have a habit of nicknaming, to me feels more friendlier, weird nuh!)

I have just been looking at some 1000mg capsules on the net but there's so many different types that i think i will need to do some good research to find out the best ones i can find in england for the best cost (cost very important)

when you say grass finished and pastured meats, do mean organic, grass fed stuff? (sorry still a bit naive with meats havent eaten this much of it ever in a week (2 weeks in 70%primal, no grains thou))

if so, as far as i am aware the meat is but i will have to check properly as my family friend just buys for me when she's there.. i know the eggs are definetly neighbour a few doors down has grass fed chickens...

nitsy,

"Grass Fed" doesn't always equal "Grass Finished". If an animal is finished on grain for even a sort period of time, it will screw up the omega ratios.

"Pastured" chickens mean birds who are free to run around and scratch...ya can't really have grass-fed chickens, because they don't eat grass. They might get some supplemental feed, but what's key is that they get to eat bugs and things, and run around in the sun. Happy Chickens=Happy Eggs and Meat.

"Kuno" is just fine :-)