Thread: Primal for bodybuilders page

East Coast Muscle is offline Junior Member

Primal for bodybuilders

Primal Fuel
    Are there any bodybuilders here?

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    I am into lifting and more recently body-weight work. There are lots of lifters and strength advocates so I am sure there is a bodybuilder or two here as well.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Thanks for the quick reply Dirlot. Really just looking to for an answer to a simple question. With removing carbs from my diet or just lowering them substantially I'm not sure what to replace the calories with, Increased protein or fat or both. My current protein intake is 300-350gr per day so I dont know that I need to go much higher than that at a fairly lean bodyweight of 250lb. Any input from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Stan

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    What are your protein sources? Have you read the book or the primer?
    Remember don't confuse carbs with grains. If you need to up calories add healthy fats and oils. If you want to up carbs because of long training sessions there are plenty of ways to get them from cleaner sources than grains - lots of veg, sweet potato, squash etc.. There is an unlimited source of good healthy carbs out there if your body needs them.
    There are a few posts about upping carbs for harder and longer training sessions so the information is in the forum.
    There are a number of books about paleo/primal eating one I am getting hold of is the Paleo Diet for Athletes by Cordain.

This just posted by Mark: Power-lifter Goes Primal
    Last edited by Dirlot; 02-03-2012 at 09:09 AM.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by East Coast Muscle View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply Dirlot. Really just looking to for an answer to a simple question. With removing carbs from my diet or just lowering them substantially I'm not sure what to replace the calories with, Increased protein or fat or both. My current protein intake is 300-350gr per day so I dont know that I need to go much higher than that at a fairly lean bodyweight of 250lb. Any input from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Stan
    Primal Blueprint is not a low-carb way of eating; it's a low-toxin way of eating. White rice and sweet potatoes are great ways to keep some carbs in your diet without the toxins of grains. If you are lifting heavy, you should be fine with a fair amount of fruit as well.

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    Carb cycling with quality carb sources, like jfreaksho mentioned, works pretty damned well. Some people add in soaked beans and stuff like that, but I find that is too much work for something I don't like all that much (beans) so I don't do it. Not a body-builder, but I have worked with quite a few of them.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

kitoi is offline Senior Member
    I try to keep my fat intake around 50% and fill in 30% protein and the rest starchy carbs. Carb intake varies, some days low (50g), some days 200-300. Lifting heavy 4days a week and perform best around 150g carbs

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks everyone for taking the time to relpy and sharing the information.