Thread: Resetting Ketosis/ 'Fat as fuel' mode with carbs? page

misterbulgarin is offline Junior Member

There's one thing I've not quite come accross with this lifestyle, and that's the whole 'fat as fuel zone'.

When I was on the anabolic diet, you had the weekends to eat carbs, somehow this replenished the glycogen and such in muscle (dont hold me to that), ready for another 5 days of low carbness. While on this diet there was a metabolic shift, meaning the body uses fat as its fuel, this took a week or two depending on the person.

I know the body takes time to convert to fat as fuel, but how would a random carb meal / heavy night out / random 'bad food' affect this carb infestation. Would you have to spend another week adjusting to fat burning again just because of one meal. Or does it work both ways? e.g You'd have to start eating carbs again, and alot to burn carbs as fuel.

I'm merely wondering if having carbs on this diet are shortterm (Feeling drowsy etc after a meal and the usual stuff and thats THAT), or long term (Resetting fat as fuel mode and going back to sq 1).

I ask because I wonder how Im going to handle social situations / nights out. If it's just a one day thing, I can put up with that.

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member

Well your body isn't fully converted over to the ketones as fuel until about three weeks in. So screwing around with too many carbs (more than 100) in this time period could have negative effects.

That's why on many cyclical diets there is an initiation period. This initiation period is so your body can shift its fuel usage more towards FFA and ketones.

I totally recommend re-feeds (on clean foods) worked in with ketogenic diets, but not within the first couple of weeks.

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

Indeed, but after these few weeks when I should be fully geared up on fats and using fat as a fuel. What happens, for instance if I have a social night out,beer, sugar mixer, kebab after! Does this reset my fat burning mode, and will I have to have another few weeks getting back into fat burning mode.

Or do I only suffer the fallout from said night out, and the next day with alcohol. (Same goes for a meal out at a restaurant (no alcohol) etc)

buffalo is offline Junior Member

No, you won't reset all the way back to pre-low-carb state. This was a question which answered in The Paleolithic Solution podcast recently (episode 12 - 14?). It takes a sustained period of high-carbs, generally people can do high carb for one or two days, and easily get back into ketosis. Beyond this it's going to take a little extra time to get back, depending on how much longer you stay at a high-carb level.

It was Mauro Di Pasquale in "The Metabolic Diet" who came up with an early anabolic diet, in which he recommended a strict 30 grams carbs or less on weekdays, then carb loading on weekends. He had two reasons for this: one was a hypothesis that the insulin response on the weekend would stimulate muscle growth, and the second was that it made it easier to stay on the diet, since you had a special "cheat" window. For the first point, who knows, maybe it does help a bit, maybe not. For the second one, it's not primal, and I don't like the idea of a full cheat weekend - it's like quiting smoking except on the weekends, your constantly remind yourself of cravings instead of just forgetting about them. But I do think the idea of doing higher carbs in punctuated bursts through yams, sweet potatoes is somewhat interesting ...

Steve-O is offline Senior Member

Good question. I was wondering the same thing. Since going primal and giving up grains, my carb intake has been much more erratic. Some days I'll have a couple sweet potatoes with my dinner; other days I'll eat foods that keep my carbs below 15 grams total. Then on some nights I may have some quinoa which could spike carbs to over 100 grams.

Again, it's happens to be what I eat on a given day that isn't cereal grain. Started to wonder if this carb fluctuation could have negative effects.

Oh it'll take a little more than one night. Especially if in that one night your under about 500 grams of carbs. Ketosis is pretty definitive when you're out of liver glycogen as thats when acetyl-CoA will start being produced as a by-product of burning FFA by your mitochondria. Acetyl-CoA is what gets condensed into ketone bodies such as acetone (responsible for that great smell in your urine and breath).

I just wouldn't screw around with it in the initiation period, you want the protein/glucose sparing benefits of ketosis.

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

Ah that's great news. Im giving 3 good weeks to myself to make sure im in the zone.

But I was just wondering, as there WILL be a time where going high fat/protein simply wont be possible (or be optimal). Or maybe a fast food session once in a blue moon. Good show, good show.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

You'll be fine, just be smart about it. It's hard to screw up once you're in tune with yourself and your mind.