Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Infant Primal ... Need some help! page

GBE300 Guest

Primal Fuel

Hello Mark et all,

I am new to primal, just into chapter 3 now in the book and been hanging around here reading non stop for a few weeks now.

I have a 5 month old and soon she will be slated to start on solid foods to help compliment the milk. Sadly we had issues with breast feeding and had to stop after 3 months. For the last 2 months she has been on a pretty health formula that has done well for her. We expect to continue this formula until she transitions fully to solid whole foods.

As for my question I was curious as to what the recommend foods would be for her at her 6 month point. What should we start feeding her and whats the progression. Also any comments from parents out there would be helpful this is our first!

Thanks for the help.

Cheers,

Chris.

Tarlach is offline Member

Our kids were eating pureed veggies at about 4-6 months and fist size chunks of steak at 6-8 months. Just keep an eye on her and she might surprise you with what she can eat.

Formula isn't food and I would be eliminate it as much as possible.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

PrimalWannabeGirl is offline Senior Member

Ideal is breastmilk nearly exclusively until 1 year of age.

Barring that, I would try to substitute a homemade goat's milk formula for the conventional formula. You might want to check out the Weston Price website at this link: http://www.westonaprice.org/Recipes-for-Homemade-Baby-Formula.html

Google "homemade baby formula" and see what you come up with.

My own opinion is that I don't trust commercial formulas nearly as well as I would a real food formula. Breast milk is a complex food, and it isn't easily duplicated. I don't think the formula companies have it nailed---they keep modifying the formula as they discover what's missing.

Don't push foods on your child. Sit up her up in her high chair at the table during family meals and watch to see her own interest in the foods the family is eating. Let her reach for food or make noises indicating she wants some.

Don't assume she is ready at six months---she might not be. The earlier foods are introduced, the more likely it is she will develop food allergies, especially to highly allergenic foods like cow's milk and eggs.

Don't give honey to a child under 12 months of age.

Start with pureed mild vegetables and fruits.

After one year, you might try mashed egg yolks with butter (the whites are more allergenic) You can puree meats, too. Brown some ground meat and puree it with coconut oil.

There are a lot of resources online if you get adventurous for ideas----just google "homemade baby food" or something like that and explore. I really recommend starting with the Weston Price website.

Sooze

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

look for the book "baby led weaning" - babies can be given solids when they can sit up self-supported. I will be skipping purees with my child(ren) and going right to real foods.

Meat is a good one - some rotisserie chicken or pot roast (something "shred-y" is easy for baby to pick up and suck/gnaw)... roasted veggies are also great - cooked enough to be softer, but they have great flavor, fat/salt, etc. Egg yolk mashed with some olive oil and a bit of sea salt is another good one - you can smear this on something else, or try a spoon or finger-feeding.

WAPF recommends liver as a first baby food, since it is soooo nutritious. You can also grate frozen liver and mix it with egg yolks too.

Another book you might want to check out from the library is Real Food for Mother and Baby - it's also a WAPF type thing so there are grains and whatnot there but you can ignore that and get other ideas.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

DebFM is offline Senior Member

I started with egg yolks (NOT whites), then ground up cooked meat and later things like mashed avocado, whole-fat plain yogurt and cottage cheese (if there's no history of dairy allergy in the family). I used a hand crank baby food grinder to grind the meat. My first wouldn't eat any "real" food until she was almost 13 months old - my second was grabbing things off of our plates by 4 1/2 months! Both were fully breastfed, but as you can see there can be some real age variation as to when they start eating real solids.

Most baby books have a list of foods that should be given later & I would stick to that. Things like strawberries and oranges can be hard on a little one's system (too acidic). WAPF is a good resource as FNW mentioned. Needless to say, stay away from the grains.

See what your babe's interested in eating. One of mine only wanted fruit and veg; the other would only eat meat. Go figure!

hippie_mama is offline Member

I can't help but be curious what your issues were with breastfeeding--did you talk to a lactation consultant, LLL leader, etc.? So many problems can be overcome, and even though you weaned two months ago, i'm hesitant to say you have to be completely finished with breastfeeding. I might be preaching to the choir, but there is a lot of information over at http://www.mothering.com/ (especially the forums) if you haven't yet exhausted all of the options (ie: relactation, milk banks, etc.)

That being said, you definitely want to go with real, home-cooked foods when your baby is ready (again, sitting up, able to chew, etc.)! Six months sounds early, but two of my children were eating solids (soft veggies) by that age. If they need purees, chances are they aren't really ready for the foods anyway, and skip the jars! Feed your baby a softer version of what you're eating instead. It's fresher, tastes better, and you can control what's in it.

kam904s is offline Member

Reading this post makes me so tempted to try and give my boy some egg yolks at 6 months! Buuuuut.... I think I'm gonna try and stick with bfing for a year. It's hard and night feedings suck but at least the poop doesn't smell too bad.

Well, except for today. I had some mexican last night that DID NOT sit well with tummies today.

Luckykoi is offline Junior Member

first, i am sorry to hear that you had a hard time with breast feeding. i did also and i can sympathize what a hard desicion it is to go to formula.

my little man is 10 and 1/2 months. i could have told you that he was going to eat this that and the other before we started solids... haha, i had to throw that out the door as he was on his own time frame and would gag over certain foods. i found a few things that he loves, carrots, apples, bananas, squash.... and these are all purees. he. will. not. eat. anything. else. At 10 and 1/2, he, out of all of his friends his age, is the only one that doesn't do food with chunks. they are all different. some will eat like a champ starting at 6 months, some won't touch it until 12 months...

there is a GREAT site that i found that gives you ideas of what you can make and give at what ages.

http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/

my son has never had cerals or any grains. yes, we have him on formula. but this site is great to help with ideas. i just stay away from any recipes that call for grains.

good luck with it! have fun!

GBE300 Guest

Thanks everyone for your posts/replies, I will check out the information and figure it out!

On the breastfeeding it was too difficult and discouraging for my wife, and after a few weeks of supplements and coaching we decided to abandon it. We knew it wasn't the best option as we were planning to breast-feed for 16-18 months. But the constant issues were really putting a lot of stress on her and strain onto her relationship with the little one. Luckily as we are currently living in France we had some really great formulas and while they can not replace breast milk, our little one is a very happy, healthy and chunky baby.

Again thanks for the advice!

Cheers,

GBE300

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

What are the great formulas that you have in France? I am trying to find one that sounds good in case i can't breastfeed (have had breast reduction surgery recently) but the ones here all have scary ingredients.

Links would be great - especially if the site is in english, but even if not, just a brand name/formula name would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast