Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Asians on Primal page

JBitzz is offline Junior Member

Red face Asians on Primal

Hey All!

So I've always been eating healthy and avoided consuming wheat, grains, and... rice. However, when my mom sees what I eat, she would comment that our genes are different from those of Caucasians. Foods that make them stronger and healthier doesn't mean they do the same for us.

I just want to know if there are any Asians here on the Primal Blueprint and how it benefitted them... I want to make sure that our genes apply to this theory. I've been on and off, mainly because I don't feel the vitality that everyone keeps talking about when they do BP. In fact, I think I get more tired... Then when I eat rice or some bread, I get more energetic.

I just want to know that if I stick to this, I can feel energetic without depending on coffee. I want to know that my brain can stop having that "fogginess" and stay clear all the time, especially since I'm a student. I know we all had a common ancestor at some point, but perhaps genetic drift changed our gene pool so much, we can actually consume grains?

Thanks in advance

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JBitzz View Post
    Hey All!

So I've always been eating healthy and avoided consuming wheat, grains, and... rice. However, when my mom sees what I eat, she would comment that our genes are different from those of Caucasians. Foods that make them stronger and healthier doesn't mean they do the same for us.

I just want to know if there are any Asians here on the Primal Blueprint and how it benefitted them... I want to make sure that our genes apply to this theory. I've been on and off, mainly because I don't feel the vitality that everyone keeps talking about when they do BP. In fact, I think I get more tired... Then when I eat rice or some bread, I get more energetic.

I just want to know that if I stick to this, I can feel energetic without depending on coffee. I want to know that my brain can stop having that "fogginess" and stay clear all the time, especially since I'm a student. I know we all had a common ancestor at some point, but perhaps genetic drift changed our gene pool so much, we can actually consume grains?

Thanks in advance
    Evolutionarily speaking, it is possible that a minority adapted to grains. However, how would you tell if you were in that minority? Grains and refined sugar have caused the 'diseases of civilization' in ALL races. Sometimes, you can even be healthy on the outside when it is destroying your insides. How would you know you are part of that minority? (even if it exists, which I basically doubt)

Anecdotally, I've heard that the Phillipines has some of the worst diabetes rates in the world. They're Asian.
    Last edited by wiltondeportes; 02-02-2012 at 10:10 PM.

Kunko is offline Member
    Well I'm of Okinawan decent (different from Japanese) and I can easily say that cutting back on the rice a little has really benefited me. I haven't given up all grains I've just found a better balance. Then again I did a gradual phase out to where I'm only eating big amounts of carbs for one meal (so rice for lunch) and the other meals as little carbs as possible. Would it be weird to ask what kind of Asian you are? We are all slightly different in our development.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JBitzz View Post
    The Science Behind The “Low Carb Flu”, and How To Regain Your Metabolic Flexibility - GNOLLS.ORG
    The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D. Tips & tricks for starting (or restarting) low-carb Pt II

JBitzz is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kunko View Post
    Well I'm of Okinawan decent (different from Japanese) and I can easily say that cutting back on the rice a little has really benefited me. I haven't given up all grains I've just found a better balance. Then again I did a gradual phase out to where I'm only eating big amounts of carbs for one meal (so rice for lunch) and the other meals as little carbs as possible. Would it be weird to ask what kind of Asian you are? We are all slightly different in our development.
    I'm Chinese and I've never really ate that much rice. I cut it off complete when I started going Primal, but I do find that when I some rice to my meals, I feel fuller and get more energetic.

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    White rice is pure starch. The ONLY thing it can do for your body is supply it with calories. This is NOT a bad thing if you are very active and need the energy. But if it displaces more nutrient-dense food in your diet, that's bad. The logic of this is the same no matter where your great-grandma came from. Replacing rice in your diet with stuff that gives you energy PLUS essential protein, vitamins, minerals, and fats (meat, seafood, organs, vegetables) is a good thing, also no matter where your grandparents came from.

If you really want to eat ethno-specifically, you could just eat more seafood instead of beef or whatever. Lots of fish and such in traditional Pacific cuisines.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

ppham27 is offline Member
    Asian here! See my success:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/29552058/Paleo%20Story.pdf

Since then, I've made even more progress.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    check out nom nom paleo, and fitbomb. google it!

Hardwarehank is offline Senior Member
    I'm South Korean(half) and have lost considerable weight doing the Primal Blueprint. I still eat rice occasionally(once or twice a week if at all) but the servings are drastically reduced. Sounds like you are describing going through carb flu which I have no experience with.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I don't think it benefits us to put all grains in a single category. White rice is pretty benign. It's just empty, quickly used carbs. Maybe your body needs a bit of that. It is not interchangeable with bread which is much more likely to cause problems. And if you want to get traditional, wheat was not nearly as common in East Asia as rice and tubers.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast