Thread: Asians on Primal page 3

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Welp, there goes that hypothesis.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
    Welp, there goes that hypothesis.
    Lol, I love how you stated your guess as fact.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    Lol, I love how you stated your guess as fact.
    It's how I roll on the internets, baby.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandy72 View Post
    Other strange Asian affliction....I can't drink alcohol, not even a few sips of lovely Sangria. I immediately turn red, start sweating, heart pounds and just sniffing wine makes me stupid loopy.
    Ahhh.... that's your lack of enzymes, that is Apparently Asia brewed tea in ye olden days when water was unsafe, whereas Europe brewed beer *hic* and developed tolerance for alcohol *hic*

I think genetics and heritage lead to tendencies - see the lactase enzyme expression data - but yes we have to be careful not to confuse genetics with e.g. poverty or cultural issues

rccrsphil is offline Senior Member
    Another Filipino here on the primal diet. Been primal since Feb 14 and have lost 55 lbs. I missed rice at the beginning, but not anymore.
    Primal Journal of a Filipino Cherokee Grok
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53103.html

SAD weight: 250
    Current Primal weight: 183.2

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rccrsphil View Post
    Another Filipino here on the primal diet. Been primal since Feb 14 and have lost 55 lbs. I missed rice at the beginning, but not anymore.
    I don't, either. I prefer sweet potatoes, but I won't turn down my dad's champurrado.
    If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

redgress17 is offline Junior Member
    South Korean here!!!

I lost a considerable amount of weight last summer. However, due to stress-related problems I gained it all back and now I'm restarting primal. I found that it is quite easy to have meals without rice. I eat a lot of kimchi, meat, fish, and those wrapped in lettuce. I feel a lot more energized from eating primal than high-carb, for sure.
    Starting Weight: 165
    Current Weight: 155
    Goal Weight: 130

Groktimus Prime is offline Junior Member
    Filipino here! I've used Miracle Rice for a little while until I no longer missed white or brown rice altogether, and I've been much better for it. People proclaim to be addicted to rice, but I know of very few people who would eat it by itself--i.e. no condiments, butter, seasonings, or mixing with other foods.
    In Sanity,
    Charlie

Weight: 350/200 (within 16 months)/205
    Body Fat: 50%/12%/10%

A Day in the Life of Groktimus Prime

Brandy72 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    Couldn't you also attribute this to lifestyle choice? Are the white mixed cousins living in the US? Maybe they don't exercise as much or are under chronic stress.
    Can't fully attest to my mixed cousin's stress levels...they look happy on facebook though! Of the 4 mixed one's that are heavy, 2 grew up in Norway and still reside there and the other 2 are stateside, but grew up as Air Force brats like myself all over the place.

I know it's only my casual observation of course, but I have always found the differences interesting and frustrating.

Very glad to see so many Asians achieving success living Primal. Super motivating.

Jer37208 is offline Member
    another half south korean checking in. As for people above talking about race not being an issue and that genetics are genetics, I completely agree. However from a cultural standpoint, rice has been a huge staple in my life...my earliest memories are my mom standing over her rice cooker, making sure it was working hard while she prepared the afternoon meal.

That being said, going paleo was easy for me. On the instances I go home to visit, I just skip the rice. Kimchee and most korean dishes and sides are very compliant (except the ones that have soy sauce). I do "cheat" for kim bap though (korean sushi). No way I'm turning that down!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast