Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Asians on Primal page 2

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncephalized View Post
    White rice is pure starch. The ONLY thing it can do for your body is supply it with calories. This is NOT a bad thing if you are very active and need the energy. But if it displaces more nutrient-dense food in your diet, that's bad. The logic of this is the same no matter where your great-grandma came from. Replacing rice in your diet with stuff that gives you energy PLUS essential protein, vitamins, minerals, and fats (meat, seafood, organs, vegetables) is a good thing, also no matter where your grandparents came from.

If you really want to eat ethno-specifically, you could just eat more seafood instead of beef or whatever. Lots of fish and such in traditional Pacific cuisines.
    ^^^This. Certain ethnicities would handle levels of carbohydrate slightly better than others, but at heart we're all mostly the same regardless of what we "look like". This is an example of cultural bias over reality. Don't let it derail you. There is no reason to eat an ethnic diet, and not doing so will not make you a bad person. When my grandmother makes pasta for the family, I eat meatballs, sausage and salad. I haven't had her pasta in about a year and I rarely miss it. Even though it is awesome.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Issabeau is offline Senior Member
    I've read on multiple web sites that Asians have larger pancreas than europeans or africans. Africans having the smallest pancreas of all.
    This is why african-americans have higher diabetes rates than caucasian-americans.

I've read that the ratio of upper body to lower body has something to do with this, too. The larger/longer your upper body and shorter your legs the more likely you have a larger pancreas and can tolerate a higher carb diet longer without becoming diabetic.
    Africans seems to have long legs and shorter upper bodies, which would give them the smallest pancreas.

Not sure if this is all true, just things I've been reading around on the net.

dado Guest
    this is racist, man.

black, african, asian: identical.

race is only a social construct, to bring silly things like genetics into it is racism, you should be in jail.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I don't think it benefits us to put all grains in a single category.
    It probably also doesn't benefit us to put all Asians in a single category. I've known Asians who eat mostly meat and vegetables. Nary a rice grain to be found.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dado View Post
    this is racist, man.

black, african, asian: identical.

race is only a social construct, to bring silly things like genetics into it is racism, you should be in jail.
    We are almost identical, gene-wise. However, it's that small percentage of different genes that has made all the difference. I would say the social construct is seeing just "skin color" as the defining marker of a race. That's just one phenotype to consider.

I don't see what's wrong with believing there are races though. Clearly, people have different physical traits throughout the world, and they can be grouped in clusters that we might deem a race.

The reason you lash out at the thought of this is our modern culture has been speaking in your ear.

Brandy72 is offline Junior Member
    Asian Mix here too - (Filipino on Mother's side )

Being Asian, we ate jasmine rice daily, including sometimes as dessert with coconut milk. My mother is a tiny size 2 and can eat rice several times daily and has the energy of 3 yo with ADHD sipping on Kool Aid.

For me, eating rice was the ultimate comfort food. Comforting and tasty. But it set me up to be soooooo very sleepy and tired afterwards. Then I would be hungry in a snap again, then an ongoing, awful spiral of carb cravings and feedings would continue. .

I havent had rice in 2 wks. I dont miss it strangely, but I do feel guilty for not participating in something so culturally significant. But uber glad to be off the carb swing monster.

So in summary, I do think genetics has a big part of metabolism. 61 full filipino first cousins living all over the world, none are overweight and can eat rice without any limitations. 5 cousins that are mixed white, like myself, 4 are 25 - 30 lbs overweight. On my father's side, all of my American white cousins are battling obesity, not just heavy, but obese.

Other strange Asian affliction....I can't drink alcohol, not even a few sips of lovely Sangria. I immediately turn red, start sweating, heart pounds and just sniffing wine makes me stupid loopy.

Brandy72 is offline Junior Member
    Also - true that Filipinos are at high risk of diabetes, but only when they adopt the S.A.D way of eating either here in the U.S. or elsewhere. When they break away from eating their veggies, seafood and foods cooked with vinegar and ginger etc....their health does suffer. Those Filipinos leaving close or in the city with access to fast food and prepackaged items are greatly at risk of diabetes. Those still living off the land retain their good health and longevity. This seems to be true of all Asians, sadly enough.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    See the thing about rice is that feudal lords needed something to feed their masses of peasants while they kept most of the meat for themselves.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
    See the thing about rice is that feudal lords needed something to feed their masses of peasants while they kept most of the meat for themselves.
    Ehhhhhhh not really. Wealthier people could afford the luxury of the coveted hulled white rice. Peasants ate brown rice and almost no meat.

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandy72 View Post
    So in summary, I do think genetics has a big part of metabolism. 61 full filipino first cousins living all over the world, none are overweight and can eat rice without any limitations. 5 cousins that are mixed white, like myself, 4 are 25 - 30 lbs overweight. On my father's side, all of my American white cousins are battling obesity, not just heavy, but obese.
    Couldn't you also attribute this to lifestyle choice? Are the white mixed cousins living in the US? Maybe they don't exercise as much or are under chronic stress.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast