Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Underweight page

bigbadrobbo is offline Junior Member

Underweight

Shop Now
    Hi there,
    I am currently 6 foot 3, 43 years old and underweight. I would like to gain weight everywhere except my stomach, where I would like to lose my 'middle-age spread'.

I am currently doing the Primal diet, and am attending Cross-Fit three times per week, and swimming for 20 minutes three times a week. I have no car and bicycle around 100km (about 60 miles) per week.

I've looked and looked for information from either Paleo or Primal about gaining weight but everything seems to be about losing it.

Are there any resources around I could look at? Or does anyone have any suggestions for me?

Thanks in advance,
    Robbo.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I don't have anything offhand -- though I'm sure others do.

But, the basics are this:

1. you may need to eat more calories, but keep the ratios of fat/protein/carbohydrate the same;
    2. you may need more grams of carbs than people not trying to gain weight -- which you can get by consuming sweet potatoes, or the occasional rice.
    3. be sure to get good sleep, as well.

And good luck. I'm sure you'll put on muscle no problem.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Buy Starting Stregnth, follow the program to the letter *to the end*. Eat plenty of primal food.

If you follow this plan, it will work. The only other possibility is an undiagnosised illness or injury.

Thanks Apex. I went and read the reviews on Amazon and pretty much all of them were saying 'Starting Strength' was amazing. So I'll definitely get it.

That said, is CrossFit then necessary? From the reviews of SS, the book suggests you do the strength training 3 times per week. Given that I'm currently doing CrossFit 3 times per week, and that the routines would probably crossover a little, would CrossFit then become redundant? Or would I do something like SS three times per week, and CF once? And finally, would my swimming still fit?

Thanks again!
    Robbo.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    You do NOT do crossfit and starting strength both. That would be like training for a marathon and a bodybuilding competition at the same time. Pick a method and go with it. That includes resting on rest days and not doing crossfit.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Analog6 is offline Senior Member
    Terranora, far north coast NSW, Australia
    And maybe you can indulge in a few of the higher carb root vegetables (Lucky you) like potatoes (roast, oven chips etc), carrots, parsnips and turnips (I think you US folk call them rutabagas) and corn. All are nice roasted. You could also make stews/casseroles with 1/2 cup barley to a full pot.
    Odille
    F 58 / 170cms / SW 131.5 kgs / Current 112.4/ GW 65
    following Primal Lifestyle and swimming my way to health

My Primal Blog / Photo Blog / RedBubble shop / My Calendars / My Facebook

Hi all,

Thanks for all the responses. They have been very helpful. One last question, is swimming ok as well as the strength building? I'm not swimming hardcore, just 20min of freestyle three times per week. I'm a pretty average swimmer and I'd like to get better.

Thanks again!
    Robbo.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Gaining weight on primal is possible and kind of interesting. You'll need to first of all eat three large and "heavy" meals per day. Include the starchy root veg in large quantity. Regular potatoes, honestly, aren't that bad for you. Neither is white rice. Learn to love 4 eggs and breakfast meat in the morning. Then you'll want to consider liquid calories, both to gain weight in general and to fuel all the lifting. Start with cream or coconut milk and then make it tastier - add chocolate, fruit etc. If you are "flexible" about primal, use whole milk and consider some whey powder. None of this is necessary for gaining weight on primal, but it can certainly be done. A pound a week is a good gaining target if you are lifting heavy - more than that and you're adding more fat than you probably want, less than that and you're probably not supporting the muscle gain that you need.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

jsa23 is offline Senior Member
    I've gained weight on a primal-style diet(around 20 lbs over 8 months following a bout of food poisoning last spring that left me at 166 lbs at a height of 6'6") and gained considerable strength as well.

What I would advocate:
    Lift Heavy Things(Pick a strength training program and stick with it)
    Eat clean foods, but plenty of them - aim for slow weight gain, perhaps half a pound per week. Be patient here - if you're not gaining, slowly increase your intake.

What worked for me: Standard paleo/primal baseline of lots of meat and veggies, sweet potatoes(any "clean" starch works here), a decent amount of fruit. I also used more dairy when trying to gain weight - I'm eating much less of it now that I'm closer to where I want to be.
    Last edited by jsa23; 02-04-2012 at 04:46 AM.

dado Guest
    squat heavy and drink milk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast