Thread: Feeling light-headed and sick at the end of "lift heavy things" workouts page

Man of Kent is offline Senior Member

Feeling light-headed and sick at the end of "lift heavy things" workouts

Primal Fuel
    I've been following Mark's Primal Blueprint Fitness plan pretty much to the letter for about 3 months now and I've made some really good gains. Overall the program feels much more sensible than my old 5/6 days a week in the gym.

Lately though I've been feeling really rinsed out at the end of my "lift heavy things" workouts to the point of feeling light-headed and sick. It usually comes on as soon as I finish the workout i.e. I'll finish the last exercise and then start to feel absolutely drained and rough. I feel ok during the workouts although I am usually pretty tired during the second circuit of exercises, and the feeling usually passes about 5 mins after I've stopped but it's just the immediate period after I've finished. I feel fine after my sprint workouts so I'm a bit stumped about what's causing it.

I've tweaked the program slightly to suit me and my current workout is as follows
    • Handstands - Hold for 90s
    • Wide grip chin ups - 12
    • Bulgarian Squats (holding 10kg weight plate) - 25 per leg
    • Push Ups - 50
    • Tuck Front Lever (substitute for plank) - Hold for 60s

I do the session following Mark's suggested protocol of 2 cycles through all the exercises with a 2 min rest between each exercise attempting to hit the goals above, and if I fail to reach any of the targets on the first attempt taking a short break and then completing.

I've been wondering if maybe the high vascular shunt that the sequence of exercises requires could be making me feel like this, or whether it could be a diet thing or what?

If anyone has any ideas why the workout's might be causing me to feel rough I'd appreciate any tips!

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    Difficult to say but you should try taking the 90 second handstands out for a week and see what happens - I wonder whether this may be causing the lightheaded feeling. Or at the very least do them away from the other work.

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    congrats! you're doing something right. if you're not light headed and winded after a session of heavy lifting, then you're not lifting heavy enough. as for not feeling that way after a sprint session, maybe you're not sprinting hard enough

i have 2 other thoughts:
    1-medical. are you new to fitness? have you taken some time off? maybe you should go to the doctor and get checked out
    2-when do you eat? personally, i can't have an intense workout on an empty stomach. i have to eat about 45 minutes beforehand

korvix is offline Member
    Reasons:
    1. You're a beginner - anything new will put a shock to your body, especially the compound full body movements were a big stress for me at first, I was wuzzy all day after that. Today I never feel like that, strong as a rock. Mind & body.

2. Low sugar levels ? - eat some fruit pre and post workout

Well, that's all I can think of from personal experience

thanatos is offline Senior Member
    Sick in the stomach is usually lactic acid buildup. Congratulations you're working hard enough!!

As you get better the amount of lactic acid you process gets better and you'll have to do more to reach the sick point.

sroelofs is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thanatos View Post
    Sick in the stomach is usually lactic acid buildup. Congratulations you're working hard enough!!

As you get better the amount of lactic acid you process gets better and you'll have to do more to reach the sick point.
    Yeah. This was my first thought too.

Man of Kent is offline Senior Member
    Thanks a lot for all the replies and suggestions! I'm going to try them out seperately and see if any of them sort the situation out.

I think I'll try varying how long I leave between eating and training first. I've always rigidly followed the philosophy of leaving about 2 hours between eating and training, but one thing I've continuously struggled with since going Primal is that I'm usually completely starving by the time I finish a workout.

Or maybe, judging by a couple of quotes in your replies, I just need to accept that I've stepped up a level and man up :-) I have to say I used to squat double my bodyweight in the past but that doesn't compare to the difficulty of a set of 10 pistols, gets my heart beating like a drum!

dado Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    that's just weakness leaving the body