Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 24 hour fast...is it better to sprint or lift? page

barehard Guest

Primal Fuel

I'm gonna try integrating a fortnightly (possibly weekly)24 hour fast. I know it goes against my bulking phase but from what I've read, it won't make me lose (significant) muscle and the health benefits of episodic deprivation should outweigh the days loss of gains. To be honest, i'm eating so much that sometimes I just feel like a break from eating all day and I'd love to drop this into my program so I don't feel so guilty about it.

I'm thinking it's better to sprint/lift during the fast rather than to fast during a recovery day?

Lovestoclimb is offline Senior Member

Sprinting/Lifting and fasting produce the same hormonal responses in your body. So if you fast during a workout, it's like two workouts in one!

And you won't lose muscle during fasting as long as you're doing some sort of resistance training. That's a common myth. If you haven't already, read Brad Pilon's book Eat Stop Eat. Good info in there.

I grok, therefore I am.

TheNomad is offline Junior Member

I always do my workouts in a fasted state. Digestion uses up a lot of energy, so I prefer to fast, work out and then eat when I'm hungry. If I work out early in the day, I usually drink a PWO-Shake(Whey Isolate) and have some boiled eggs during noon. In the evening I eat a huge, 3000-4000 calorie dinner (warrior diet style).

On days I just rest I have small, protein-based snacks during the day if I get hungry and then eat my usual large dinner. I found this style of eating to be perfect for gaining muscle while minimizing fat gain.

misterbulgarin is offline Junior Member

I love the idea of fasting but I really dont understand the lack of nutrition & working out. I always thought the 2 hour meal before the gym fuels a workout...well if youve been fasting, there's nothing there.

Do you guys wake up and lift heavy weights like 30 minutes later, I don't think I could manage that, although to be fair i've not tried, but still...eek

If you've been fasting, there still lots of energy there for a great workout...in your stored fat.

I get the msot intense workouts in a fasted state. That's the way I do mine, always.

Look for the book I recommended in my post above. Can't recommend it enough.

I grok, therefore I am.

I've just been reading the articles and comments on the site, I really like the idea of not eating. I've been primal since monday, should I wait a few weeks so my bodies converted to burning fat first , or can I try it right away?

Also, the 'window of eating', say I have a window of 5 hours, do I eat nonstop during this window? or have two meals (two hour spaces between meals). That's the only thing I didn't quite understand. Other than that I really like the idea.

Will have to try a fasted workout!

Personally, I'd try fasting and just see how long you can do it. Try from supper one day and then until lunch the next day. If it's no issue, then just extend it to supper. You just have to tinker and find what's right for you if you are going to incorporate fasting into your lifestyle.

I don't follow the "window of eating" path. For me, my goal is to lose fat, so when I complete a 24 hour fast at dinner time, I just eat a regular sized meal...or try my best to. I'm not looking to make up for lost calories or anything because that would kind of defeat the purpose of my fasts. Some people do eating windows, one large meal, etc... It really all depends on what your ultimate goals are.

I grok, therefore I am.

Im training for bulk, while minimising fat loss where possible. My last fat-protein diet (anabolic) Was very kcal heavy as I wanted to eat as much as possible to gain muscle, it got me downwinded thinkin about meal prep, and correct food choices. In the end, I did gain some good mass, but with a bit of BF% increase, and all around boredom with the diet /lifestyle.

I fully believe this lifestyle I can build muscle and stay lean, I doubt grok worried about his macros as much as we do today.

I do HIIT & Tabata sprints on Tues and Thur. I will try fasting on my weight day evenings and see how I do with HIIT/Tabata while fasted. Should be fun!

Good luck! Fasted HIIT/Tabata sessions are fuuuun!

I grok, therefore I am.

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

PrimalCon New York

LTC:

Yup. Cuts down on the "puke" factor a little :-D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast