Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: I have to say this. page 5

PrimalWannabeGirl is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

arthur....most people wind up overweight because of DIETING.

Yes, DIETING.

I was 13 years old the first time I joined WW. Looking back on pictures, I wonder why. I was just not a small girl, that's all. But I dutifully starved, lost weight, then binged and gained more. I repeated this cycle over and over, each time struggling more to lose and gaining more back.

I have NEVER been a junk food junkie. I don't eat fast food, ever. I am good cook.

But I have had a damaged metabolism from repeated cycles of conventional dieting, diets recommended to me by physicians.

We are getting fatter as a society because of the diet industry on the one hand and the food industry on the other----coupled with the absolute effort it takes to avoid being sedentary.

Do you know that my husband and I actually moved homes because we were living in a cul-de-sac in a suburban neighborhood bounded by sidewalk-less highways? I hated it that my kids were trapped on our block like rats in a maze. So we moved to a village, one block from the main street, and my kids were able to walk EVERYWHERE because there were SIDEWALKS.

It's insiduous, the things that consprire in our environment to make us unhealthy.

Sooze

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member

"And sure, CW says "it's bad for you" but you probably have no idea how strong the push to conform and eat the same way everyone else does is for most people."

People make fun of my food all the time It goes with following the paelo/primal approach.

Pressure to eat the same way as everyone esle?!? Who cares what other people think. Even when following CW, I made "good" choices... like brown rice and caught guff... who cares.

I'm not trying to be a jerk (although I guess that's how I sound) but try to understand it from the other side of the fence too. It sounds like you don't want to take responsibility for your weight.

Katt is offline Senior Member

I think everyone on this forum is taking a huge step towards being responsible for their weight. Unless you mean you as in people in general...

Start weight: 250 - 06/2009
    Current weight: 199
    Goal: 145

ChristopherPlank Guest

Griff,

Most of what you're saying is completely valid. The only thing I'm having a hard time understanding is your own personal stance on being fat. You've mentioned multiple times in the MDA forum that you only want to be healthier and that you have no real interest in losing weight for any reason other than health. I believe you've said before that you like being fat and like the way you look.

I applaud you for that, and that's fine with me.

I think people should be able to look and do pretty much whatever they want. The only disconnect is that you say you feel "humiliated" when people react to your appearance or to the objective fact that you are too big to fit in an airplane seat without infringing on the space that others have paid for. Why?

The reality of the situation is that some people are too big to fit in one seat. This doesn't just apply to fat people but to pro bodybuilders or football players as well; they're really big. Everyone else paid for the space they're taking up, and if you need more space, pay for more space. On an airplane, you're paying for space on the airplane. I don't understand how that's "discriminating"... it's just accounting for the reality of the situation.

How exactly are we supposed to treat fat people in a more respectful way? Are people just supposed to pretend that you aren't fat? Should we offer to drive you places in our cramped compact cars or try to cram into an elevator with you when there isn't enough space?

I'm not being sarcastic here. I really want to know your take on this.

I have fat friends, and we treat each other with kindness and respect... but they also realize that there's some objective limitations to their physiology.

maba is offline Senior Member

@arthur: Trust me, I never ate at McD's or BK or Pizza Hut, when I was overweight. I truly thought I was eating healthy when I chose whole grains over fatty cuts of meat. If I wanted pizza, I made it at home with whole-wheat flour at home. I chose the over-priced multi-grain pasta over regular pasta, believing I was making healthy choices. I worked out regularly. I was still fat! I tried everything I could, given the information I had available to me, to lose weight other than starving myself and working out 5 hours a day. Griff summed it up precisely, "It's not a choice if you aren't aware of what the choices really are."

And I agree completely with Serial Sinner, the subsidies need to be stopped and an end has to be put to the lies we are being fed day in and day out.

Griff is offline Senior Member

Plank: All I ask is that if we have to go somewhere with you in your cramped car, or if you have to squeeze into the elevator with us, that you not make offensive comments about us being beached whales or disgusting pigs.

Just like you're supposed to treat gay people like people, and black people like people, and women like people, treat us like people. That's all I'm saying. And I already said I did not want to have the economics-of-airlines conversation. I still feel it's unconscionable that a grieving woman should have to drive a thousand miles over three days to be at her mother's deathbed simply because she's obese, while a skinny woman could just hop on a plane and get there in two hours. Airline economics or not, you're not going to change my opinion on that point.

What was humiliating about buying three seats for two big (and in one case, tall - my husband is 6'5) people was the looks we got from the other people on the plane, and the comments we overheard from people about the fatasses in the front row, and the pitying looks we got from the flight attendants. Those were all completely uncalled for, and it happens all the damn time to us. I had already acknowledged the "objective limitations of our physiology," and we still got the nasty comments and glares. That's what I'm objecting to.

Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

ChristopherPlank Guest

OK, fair enough. ;-)

Griff is offline Senior Member

arthur, you're flat-out wrong about how most people get fat. You are once again perpetuating the myth that fat people get fat on junk food. I never ate junk food when I was gaining weight. I ate less than a thousand calories a day, most days, and most of it was the supposedly "healthy" food I was told to eat - low-fat high-carb food like grains, beans, lean poultry - never red meat! - and I was told that this would make me thinner. IT NEVER DID.

You keep on saying you're not trying to offend. I believe you. I believe you've never looked at your beliefs about fat people or seen how stereotypical and wrong they are. But now I'm asking you to look at them and realize that they are stereotypical and wrong, and to stop expressing them and learn a better way.

Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

gottaluvalab is offline Senior Member

Sooze--That was my experience as well. My first diet was at 10 years old, because the doctor said I was 10 percent overweight and he scared and shamed me. Yes, I was 10--but I was also nearly sexually mature, taller than any other girl in my class, and at 5 foot 2 I weighed 110 pounds. When I think of the spiral of diet, loss, gain, and shame that man sent me down, at 110 pounds, I could cry.

In high school, at my thinnest and most athletic, I was exercising 2 hours a day, playing a sport, and eating nothing but coffee, a salad, and a cheese bagel. I weighed 135 pounds at 5 foot 4, and I was the fat girl. Nothing was good enough for the high school culture I was in at the time. When I think back to those years, and how good I looked, and think, "If I had just stopped dieting and worked on being healthy in mind and body," I could despair.

I have literally lost a ton--and gained it back, and more. The pasta and bran muffin diets of the 80's probably did more damage than most; ironically, compared to most other diets, the vegetarian years were probably my healthiest in terms of weight, though I was pretty sick from being a vegetarian and could not sustain it...

The last time I lost eighty pounds was about 3 years ago--it was a gradual, healthy loss, and I was happy. Inexplicably, however, there came a point at which nothing I did could slake my appetite--I ate more, and more, and was constantly starving, and increasingly sick. I gained 100 pounds in about 18 months. Part of the problem was that I'd become diabetic, and no matter how much I ate, my cells were telling me I was starving from insulin resistance.

But is this my fault? Sure. I made some bad choices. I didn't have willpower at crucial times in my life. I chose to be sedentary when I could have chosen to be active. I indulged on pizza and Krispy Kremes like a whole lot of other people, and I should have realized that this affected me more, and differently; in fact, I did realize it. I do wish I'd had some self esteem at 10, and 15, and 20. I didn't have the cognitive skills to say, "The Mediterranean diet does not seem to be appropriate for my metabolism," and I'm a smart gal--I probably could have, if I'd had the presence of mind and awareness of body to see it, but I didn't.

Now I'm broken, and I can't be fixed, and I blame myself every day, and I deserve a lot of that blame, if that makes anyone feel better about fat people taking responsibility.

As for airlines--they're a service industry. If someone pays for the service, they should be ready and willing to provide it. Seems to me they aren't serving thin people terribly well, either--but it sure makes everyone else feel better about themselves when the straw man is a fatty.

AlanBradin is offline Junior Member

2 issues here:

1) "Obese people don't choose to be obese."

Yes, they do. They don't say "Today, I want to be fat." Instead, they say "Today, I want Chipotle/Pizza Hut/cookies/etc."

2) Moreover, you cannot fault CW for ALL of society's problems. I lost most of my weight and normalized my lipids by following CW. I tracked my calories and divided up my food by the FDA food pyramid. I didn't starve and I liked what I was eating. Some people are obese because they eat junk, or go an entire day without eating and binge at night, or never set foot out of their office or house to do any physical activity. NOBODY is obese because they eat a cup of cereal for breakfast instead of cage-free eggs, turkey breast on whole wheat instead of roast pork, or grain-fed beef instead of grass-fed.

I chose to eat Paleo because I believe it is the healthiest method of eating out there. But just because it's the best doesn't mean it's the only way.

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast