Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: I have to say this. page 2

hippie_mama is offline Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Griff, i'm with you on all of this! *big 'fatty' hugs!*

I don't see why airlines can't make a small percentage of their seats just a few inches wider. It's silly. They are selling a service--getting people from one destination to another, and there is no reason they shouldn't be expected to be able to do that for most of the population. Yes, it will cost them some money. But i don't think most larger people would be too upset about paying for "deluxe" seating--sure beats the alternative of a whole extra ticket, plus the embarrassment of that telltale empty seat next to you. I've never been on a plane before; do they charge extra for people that need wheelchairs? Those are rather cumbersome.

PrimalWannabeGirl is offline Senior Member

My husband's life is getting smaller as he is getting bigger. He cannot fit in amusement park rides, airline seats, and his last car---a Mini Cooper.

It causes him anguish, humiliation and anger.

As the number of morbidly obese Americans grows, what are we to do, as individuals and as a society? Make everything bigger? Specialized amusement parks? Supersized airplane seats? Should our society to adjust to this new 'norm'? (These are real questions, not sarcasm.)

Clearly, compassion is called for----our people, including our children, are suffering. Suffering from the LIES fed us from the moment we turn on the television, or read mainstream nutrition advice, or follow the advice most of our physicians give us.

I think there is an awakening: Michael Pollan's work, the Slow Food movement, movies like FOOD, INC., the interest in traditional diets, the farm-to-table offerings by chefs and restauranteurs all over the country, the school food reform movement, etc. all indicate that we are slowly waking up.

Compassion is called for, and public education, and food reform, and subversive economies that are small and local to undo the power of corporations in our food supply. (Not to mention household products and cosmetics!)

I think the example of the airline is not a good one in making your point that derision of fat people is not worthy behavior. Because the truth is, if you are too big to fit in one seat, you need to pay for two or not fly as things stand now.

Asking what other options there are is a real question. But facts is facts.

Sooze

Jedi is offline Member

Sooze, great reply

gottaluvalab is offline Senior Member

You are tilting at windmills, my friend--but someone has to, or we ALL lose our humanity.

gottaluvalab is offline Senior Member

I have to add--being fat is about physiology, yes--but it's about more, and I defy anyone, fat or thin, naive or expert, to have all the answers. Why people expect fat people to have the answer to 15, 30, 40, 60 or more years of punishment by wrought wittingly and unwittingly by themselves (yes, by themselves--I readily admit), but also by their family, friends, colleagues, acquaintances, strangers, government, and business... well, it's beyond me.

Imagine how a 19 year old buxom but healthy and attractive girl feels standing in a line at the college bookstore and listening to a couple of gusy "check out" a perfectly attractive and slim girl, saying to each other, "Hot as a friend, but too fat to ----." At 19, being that girl, a little part of my will to fight my own metabolism died. And a little part died every day because of comments such as this.

Imagine losing 75 pounds and finding that people you THOUGHT were friends are suddenly far more attentive and friendly now that you are thin--who do you trust now? Who should you have been trusting all along? On the other hand, other friends are distinctly uncomfortable with the new you, and urge you to eat--are jealous of the time you take to exercise--cut down your efforts? Sometimes, these things hit a person from both sides. When one gets to be middle-aged, there is the dreaded "extra skin" problem... There is the expense of new clothes... The pressure of being expected to take care of appearance in ways one is unaccustomed to after a lifetime of being fat (how many formerly fat women have the faintest idea what haircut or makeup or clothing works for them, and suffer derision for their failed efforts?).

Consciously or unconsciously, there can be powerful incentives to remain fat--incentives greater than and far more complicated than a damn airplane seat.

Now I'm done.

Kent Hawley is offline Junior Member

"My husband's life is getting smaller as he is getting bigger."

--Sooze

This sums up my experience. As I have grown in size, the experiences I used to enjoy--playing basketball, playing outsode with my children, dressing up for a night on the town--have become inaccessible. It's the reason I chose to follow a more Primal lifestyle; I want to DO things.

As my world grew smaller, I went through all the normal emotions--disbelief, embarrassment, anger. Though I am not morbidly obese, I am fat, and people have commented on it. It hurt, but it was the truth, unvarnished as it was.

I realized that my life was as disjointed as my diet. As I let my weight go, I let other things go, as well. My life had no intention. Starting Primal is my first step of putting intention into my life, living the life I want to live.

The value of a person is not measured by size. That value is not measured by what a person says. Value is measured by what you do--what you offer yourself, your loved ones, and mankind in general. And folks of all sizes can do and offer. The point of the PB, as I see it, is to make ourselves healthier so we can do more and offer more to ourselves, our loved ones, and the world.

AlanBradin is offline Junior Member

I gotta speak in opposition of this. I'm not for being cruel to the obese for who they are, but if their obesity puts them in situations which are cruel, that's not my problem, nor the airlines' problem. That's my gripe with fat-activism; there's no solution. Under-booking a flight, overhauling their seating designs, or telling other paying customers to "deal" with the fat person spilling into the seat they paid for are not options. This is how our country got fat in the first place. It's increasing the cupholder sizes in cars to fit our Super Big Gulps, the average dinner plate going from under 10 inches to 12 - 13 inches, the Super Size meals at McDonalds. Loosen the belt enough times and soon enough, you run out of notches.

I don't think this should matter, but I'll say that 6 months ago, I was in the extremely obese BMI category. I was the fat kid in grade school, scared to death to play on the skins team in gym class. I dropped most of my excess, but I felt the same back then as I do now.

Asturian is offline Senior Member

Last edited by Asturian; 09-08-2010 at 03:06 PM.
    “It is a truism that almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creeds into law if it acquires the political power to do so, and will follow it by suppressing opposition, subverting all education to seize early the minds of the young, and by killing, locking up, or driving underground all heretics.”
    —Robert A. Heinlein

Travis G Guest

The rights of one should not infringe upon the rights of the whole.

Beauty is offline Senior Member

Griff, I read your post, but I do not have the time right now to read all the other replies. I am not over-weight, but I truly believe that nobody who is over-weight or obese chooses to be that way. People are simply given the wrong information about how to be healthy. It is the fault of the food industry when it comes down to it.

As for finding comfortable space on airplanes for everyone, who should pay? The crap-food industry should be the ones to pay for the addition of a few larger seats reserved for people who are over-weight, or who have other special needs. Or, the airlines should take it upon themselves to cater to ALL people, no charge--this should be good for business. You should not have to pay, and you should not be humiliated.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast